A serious question

allthumbs

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dunno, food poisoning might be one of the answers to that "how to lose those 5lbs" question in the other thread. We once ate some unrefrigerated pork whilst climbing down at Canon Tajo, just kept cooking it a little longer each day. Maybe it was the conditioning from all those street vendor tacos that kept us safe.

As a funny bacon story, we took a pound of the stuff in to the Bugaboos, but after days after day of snow and rain we were ready to bail, so we cooked up the whole thing in that big ass hut. Talk about stinking the place up! All the other residents sorted themselves out into two camps, those who were disgusted and those who started to hover around the stove, eager to help consume the crispy pig product.

Americans are scared of dirt and germs. Look what its got us. Kids nowadays are much more likely to be allergic to stuff because their parents were keeping the house sanitized with anti bacterial products.

I say keep your immune system tough and eat the bacon.

True indeed! We keep washing our hands with antibacterial soap, and feeding cattle enough antibiotics to choke a, um, horse, and then we totally lose our shit when scientists start discovering resistant microbes and people die from staph infections that won't respond to Penicillin. Doy.

There was an article about Yvon Chouinard in Outside about six months ago, and he was saying he absolutely forbade his kids to wash their hands after using the bathroom, playing, or whatever. Seems logical to DFA; keep that immune system honed. There was an article on MSN, too, about a study that concluded that kids who didn't scrub their little mitts clean all the time had healthier immune systems.

Piss on your hands for better health!

Tis true, eating bad food can give you some serious weight loss. Someone in Peru didn't wash thir hands, and I ended up with a nice case of amoebic dysentary. Lost 25 lbs in a week. Of course, the ambulance ride through Lima en route to the hospital after I collapsed and went delusional was a less-than-ideal side effect.

cantfocus.gif

At your advanced age, your immune system is what it is. wink.gif If I'm travelling, especially flying, I use "Airborne". You can get it from Trader Joe's. It's a vitamin and immune system booster that has helped me ward off colds my toddler brings home. Have SO take it before leaving and before returning, and maybe you do the same.

Try that, or cut out the tonsil-hockey for a few days after he returns.