election 2014

ivan

Oh yea - leading (or trailing) the nation in several categories including funding for infrastructure, transportation gridlock, parks and open space funding, racial disparity in education, and overall education funding.

But hey, we can have a J at out gay friends wedding so all is good. Those are social wave changes that occurred in the grassroots - neither the providence of the legislature or the NGOs who love to beat their chests over it.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not really. The two states are substantially similar with regards to gun rights, although WA does recognize reciprocal concealed carry licenses from other states, and OR does not.

Anyway, few in WA care all that much that gun owners have to sell their used equipment through federally licensed dealers.

Not a heavy burden for a few in exchange for closing a gaping loophole in gun trafficking - something which affects all of us.

Welcome to the modern world.

Closing a hole in gun trafficking?? LOL... How, pray-tell?

It's not only super easy to bypass, but is essentially unenforceable also. The only people who will comply are 100% legit and risk-averse types, and the only reason anyone will comply is because of the very remote chance that they'd get in trouble and lose their gun privileges.

People who want to ignore the law completely still have that option- and with extremely low odds of ever getting in trouble for it. But if you're someone intent on doing crimes with your guns, "low odds" aren't something you worry about at all.

This law does NOTHING to prevent crime, but just makes more stuff a crime.

Who's gonna ignore a law? The person with the least to lose. Pretty obvious.

Gotta love Trashtalker using 3 strikes your out as a justification for efficacy of gun laws on those who have very little to lose and very little self control, especially since his ACLU masters hate these laws and want them eliminated.

Nevertheless I voted to close the loophole. It can't make anything worse, and now I don't have to hear about it anymore :-)

While the Battle of the Titans rages back and forth across the same battered ground, WA moves forward, leading by example.

The political tide ebbs and flows and the electorate is fickle. In the wake of a local shooting, Washington was flooded with money from a private source (Bloomberg) and paid signature gatherers. This doesn't really reflect the popular opinion of the rest of the country (or even the PNW) and is normally pointed out with haste when the cause is from the right and backed by the Koch brothers. Of course, Washington isn't really leading anything, Seattle is pretty irrelevant overall. If draconian gun laws are your metric for "leading by example" then DC, Chicago, Detroit, New York, and all of California have you beat by 20 years.

Your spin is entertaining. This country is pretty evenly split between the right and left with the center making the final decision. Time to answer the phone, 2006 is calling to welcome you to minority-party status for the next 8 years.

2014 [img:left]https://lawofmarkets.files.wordpress.com/2014/11/obama-map-of-congressional-districts.jpg[/img]

[img:left]http://www-personal.umich.edu/~mejn/election/2006/housemaplarge.png[/img]

Your assertions with regards to the effect of the Marysville shooting on I 594 are not supported by any data, and some are just plain wrong. For example, polling support 3 days before the shooting was 60%. The day before the election that had slipped to 56%.

Furthermore, money did not come 'pouring in' after the shooting. The campaign had secured nearly all of its funding long before (that amount of funding takes a lot of long term planning and relationship building).

With a 20 point victory, its hard to buy the story that the public was somehow misled or swayed by 'big money'.

More accurately, the intelligent voters of WA are clearly sick of the gun violence and the BS arguments to keep loopholes for gun trafficking open for the sheer convenience of a minority of gun owners. Even the NRA recognizes that the "100% unfettered" schtick simply doesn't wash anymore with our voters here.

We drove that point home, in no uncertain terms, on Nov 4.

Ridiculously, opponents to I594 cited its '18 pages' as somehow being a bad thing. Anyone who's ever been involved in an initiative knows that 18 pages isn't long - at all. Quite the opposite - I594 was well written and thorough - one of the many reasons why voters overwhelmingly supported it. By comparison, I 502 was 65 pages - I had no trouble reading and understanding it, and I'm neither lawmaker nor attorney. If 18 pages confuses your legislator - be afraid, be very afraid.

In terms of providing an example - OR, AK, DC. More states will certainly follow quickly in their footsteps. Prohibition 2.0 is a loser, and its been one of the most damaging policies to civil liberties, particular to people of color, in our nations history, even if some progressives haven't quite gotten that memo. With the worlds highest and most discriminatory incarceration rate, and the War on Drugs being, by far, the largest driver of that, ending Prohibition 2.0 is key to becoming a better nation.

Major Witts lawsuit against the Airforce - the one that brought an end to Don't Ask, Don't Tell, was filed in WA. That, in turn, played a major role in the DOJ abandoning its legal defense of DOMA.

WA was the 5th state to grant full marital equality. This is also one of the most salient civil liberties issue of our time - effecting the right to pursue happiness for over 25 million Americans.

WA's successes are being closely scrutinized and replicated around the country. Our advocates work with a variety of jurisdictions out of state and abroad to spread the love. The results - for ending Prohibition 2.0 and discrimination based on sexual preference, speak for themselves.

Rest assured, we are far from a backwater.

Nate Silver's Five Thirty Eight provides an excellent statistical analysis of partisan sweeps in recent years. Surprise, surprise: they are highly stochastic.

In other words, gloat as you need to, but don't count on gloating next time around. This stuff turns on a dime.

Yep, and Wisconsin is a great example. Walker landslide. Home of Muir, Leopold, and, of course, University of Wisconsin Madison. Can't wait until we get Walker version WA. We took a small step in the state Senate this past Tuesday.

Edited by Fairweather

I was straining through a massive Lincoln log delivery when I typed that inspirational manifesto. Thinking about the GOP can do that to ya. I'm just relieved I didn't require sutures afterwards.

It's times like that when the Exalted Warrior really comes into its own.

Nightsoiling neither bumstick nor manponytail during such tectonic events...how do the chaivampires do it?

Nate Silver's Five Thirty Eight provides an excellent statistical analysis of partisan sweeps in recent years. Surprise, surprise: they are highly stochastic.

In other words, gloat as you need to, but don't count on gloating next time around. This stuff turns on a dime.

Yep, and Wisconsin is a great example. Walker landslide. Home of Muir, Leopold, and, of course, University of Wisconsin Madison. Can't wait until we get Walker version WA. We took a small step in the state Senate this past Tuesday.

Let's not forget Joe McCarthy, Wisconsin native son!...

d

Nope. Not my schtick. I'm not anti-conservative. Pretty fiscally conservative myself, actually.

I'm a specific policy guy. The GOP happens to have a lot of failed and stupid policy ideas is all. It grasps for the past, rather than looks towards the future. It's not a data driven problem solving organization. It's relies on promulgating copious amounts of bullshit. It suppresses votes. It sucks religious dick at the expense of civil liberties. It sucks military dick at the expense of social welfare and peace. I don't like any of that.

But whatev. Don the partisan mantle and bicker on. All the kids are doing it.

In my advocacy work I support partnering with any organization that agree to be an ally for a specific campaign - even if that organization opposes us on other fronts. The Catholics, for example. They are against the death penalty - common ground. They are also against providing family planning services in their hospitals. We oppose that.

Politics are less partisan than the reinforce-my-myth blogs and media would have you believe in practice, particularly at the state level. Fighting sells. Compromise is dull. The news is all about the feds, but life really isn't.

What offends us may vary by partisan proclivity - that's a genetic thing, but we all share a lot more values than many of us are willing to admit.

Nope. Not my schtick. I'm not anti-conservative. Pretty fiscally conservative myself, actually.

I'm a specific policy guy. The GOP happens to have a lot of failed and stupid policy ideas is all. It grasps for the past, rather than looks towards the future. It's not a data driven problem solving organization. It's relies on promulgating copious amounts of bullshit. It suppresses votes. It sucks religious dick at the expense of civil liberties. It sucks military dick at the expense of social welfare and peace. I don't like any of that.

But whatev. Don the partisan mantle and bicker on. All the kids are doing it.

In my advocacy work I support partnering with any organization that agree to be an ally for a specific campaign - even if that organization opposes us on other fronts. The Catholics, for example. They are against the death penalty - common ground. They are also against providing family planning services in their hospitals. We oppose that.

Politics are less partisan than the reinforce-my-myth blogs and media would have you believe in practice, particularly at the state level. Fighting sells. Compromise is dull. The news is all about the feds, but life really isn't.

What offends us may vary by partisan proclivity - that's a genetic thing, but we all share a lot more values than many of us are willing to admit.

These are nice sentiments, but you have never conveyed or practiced any of them here. If you have had some sort of epiphany recently, well, ok. But forgive me if I remain a skeptic.