New low on Everest

glassgowkiss

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sherpas are becoming like cosa nostra very quick. I have a first hand account, by a polish climber, where sherpas just took down his tent (late October), while he was soloing without oxygen. Upon return to 7000m camp, he found no tent, no stove or sleeping bag.

Sounds more like petty theft. Given the level of poverty in Nepal, its not surprising.

I'd say the Khumbu's Sherpas enjoy a cozy little negotiating position.

Sherpas have been a lively bunch since climbers first started hiring them.

Nothing new under the Himalayan sun.

Actually this is new. First of all Moro/Steck were not using the sherpas for support. So (according to some sources) sherpas were pissed, that these guys were making them less relevant. This is also first time someone was physically assaulted by sherpas in this manner. Yes, I know about verbal exchanges and such, but this crosses into a completely new territory.

in fairness, doesn't everybody hate the swiss? :)

well, that doesn't explain Italian, doesn't it!

eye-talians? fuck me, the swiss times 10!

maybe they were just very historically mindful sherpas then? it was the 68th anniversary of mussolini n' company getting lynched this weekend n' all...

anyhow, thought i saw steck was a swiss-tard?

Edited by ivan

reckon we can agree though, that on the Big List of Fucked Up Shit Going Down Right Now, this incident occupies a pretty lowly position

think the good people at the nepalese tourism board have a pretty clear grasp on the Golden Goose as well

when i win the lottery though, i'll be goddamn if these buddhites get my dinero though - i'll jet off to argentina instead, where nothing bad's ever happened - ever. :)

also, i question the basic premise of the OP

last year i seem to recall a hundred people leaving a dude to die rather than fuck up their summit bid - ain't that more fucked than the local gentry (perhaps wrongly) defending their rice-bowl?