• Announcements

• olyclimber

WELCOME TO THE CASCADECLIMBERS.COM FORUMS   02/03/18

We have upgraded to new forum software as of late last year, and it makes everything here so much better!  It is now much easier to do pretty much anything, including write Trip Reports, sell gear, schedule climbing related events, and more. There is a new reputation system that allows for positive contributors to be recognized,  it is possible to tag content with identifiers, drag and drop in images, and it is much easier to embed multimedia content from Youtube, Vimeo, and more.  In all, the site is much more user friendly, bug free, and feature rich!   Whether you're a new user or a grizzled cascadeclimbers.com veteran, we think you'll love the new forums. Enjoy!
Sign in to follow this  
rother

Best place to resole rock shoes

Posted (edited)

During the ~30 years I have been using Dave Page to resole my rock shoes and mountaineering boots I have only had one sub-par resole.  That was mostly my fault because I had worn all the way through the rand and leather, leaving a hole where my big toe is.  All the other resoles have been good to excellent; no delaminations, minimal change to the fit of the shoe.  I do buy board lasted, canvas lined leather shoes, which stand up to resoling better than slip lasted.   

Edited by DPS

If they are Sportiva shoes I send them to Rock and Resole as they have the Sportiva lasts so the shoes come back great.

• Like 1

Never used them myself, but one of my partners swears by Komito's in Estes Park CO and has used them for upwards of 40 years.

Appreciate the sage input, all!  With so many great providers come and gone, must be a tough business to sustain over the long term. 

It was my understanding that Ramuta was just on temporary leave as they're hiking the PCT this year, perhaps they'll be back in the swing come fall. 

I had a bad boot resole from Dave Page. In 1982.  I guess I should let go of that one, ya think? :crosseye:

Posted (edited)

I saw the thing about the PCT, but deeper down something about them not taking individual orders any more. Would be glad to be wrong. Yeah, Ramuta is a serious loss, a top-notch craftsman that does a great job with the business stuff as well.

Similar experience with Page, a peely resole back in the 80s when he was over in Wallingford, and never went back. Like to support a local shop but no matter who I choose, I have to ship them anyway.

Edited by curtveld

On 8/7/2019 at 11:06 AM, tanstaafl said:

Never used them myself, but one of my partners swears by Komito's in Estes Park CO and has used them for upwards of 40 years.

FWIW I used Komito for several years. But Steve slowed down quite a bit in the past couple of years - he is well into his seventies and is a one person operation. The last time I had shoes to him he got so far behind that he had given up on the usual FIFO system and went to who was calling and wanting their shoes.