Dogs at crags

dave schultz

Hi - I'm new to the area, and know that some of the crags are on land that prohibits dogs ... I was wondering what crags DO allow dogs. Not really looking for responses of how dogs at crags suck, and they shouldn't be allowed anywhere - I understand your bitching. I'm just looking for areas where dogs are accepted and/or common.

PS - of course mine is the well behaved Dalmatian ...

Thanks!

Dave

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Dave, At Smith Rock, you or someone needs to be with your dog at all times. You can't tie your dog up and do a multi-pitch lap. Which means you aren't getting much climbing in. Otherwise, dogs are OK. Don't know much of other places.

As far as I know for PDX dogs 100% good no restrictions no leashs no worries at Farside, Ozone, Coethedral, Broughtons, Rock Creek/Cliff Cliff. I think leashed dogs OK at Beacon. Sorry if those may not be local to you, someone will post up shortly on Washingtons crags. Welcome to the area.

Bad dog, bad dog, no bisquit!

1_Donkey_visit.JPG

I think leashed dogs OK at Beacon.

think twice about the dog, leashed or not, at beacon, assumign your're going multi-pitch. on several occasions i've been confronted by dogs that are totally freaking out b/c they haven't seen their owners in however long, and now there's this lummox walking right up on them (and oh yeah, a monster-train going by every 5 minutes) - the biggest problem at beacon is that the trail often doesn't allow you to get around a dog, so you have a situation where you have a snarling, pissed off pooch between you and your car, and the only solution being to wait or to get a real big stick.

I think leashed dogs OK at Beacon.

think twice about the dog, leashed or not, at beacon, assumign your're going multi-pitch. on several occasions i've been confronted by dogs that are totally freaking out b/c they haven't seen their owners in however long, and now there's this lummox walking right up on them (and oh yeah, a monster-train going by every 5 minutes) - the biggest problem at beacon is that the trail often doesn't allow you to get around a dog, so you have a situation where you have a snarling, pissed off pooch between you and your car, and the only solution being to wait or to get a real big stick.

Or bring a scooby snack and make him yer buddy.

As far as I know for PDX dogs 100% good no restrictions no leashs no worries at Farside, Ozone, Coethedral, Broughtons, Rock Creek/Cliff Cliff. I think leashed dogs OK at Beacon. Sorry if those may not be local to you, someone will post up shortly on Washingtons crags. Welcome to the area.

I seem to recall that dogs aren't welcome at Carver Bridge Cliff. Or maybe that's kids I'm thinking of...

Chad

I've seen or climbed with folks who have dogs at Icicle Creek, Vantage, Tieton, Index, Exit 38, Smith and Squamish.

I have seen a fair amount of lax behavior by owners that put their dogs at risk. Areas with rattlesnakes worry me since dogs like to investigate.

Also see folks leave their dogs at the base of notoriously chossy walls like Vantage where rockfall is a serious concern. Had a dinner plate sized rock come loose while climbing their once and somehow managed to keep it plastered while I yelled down to notify the owner that his sleeping dog was right in the fall zone. That rock would have done some serious damage. The owner said he thought his dog would have sensed the rock coming and would have moved. I think he was delusional.

Icicle Creek has goats which can be aggressive around dogs, had a friend have his dog gored pretty badly by one so take care there and once you get into the wilderness area dogs are not allowed.

Hi - ... Not really looking for responses of how dogs at crags suck, and they shouldn't be allowed anywhere - I understand your bitching. I'm just looking for areas where dogs are accepted and/or common.

Just because you see a dog here and there at a crag doesn't mean they're accepted. In Leavenworth, I watched as an unleashed dog totally ransacked our packs and food as I was tied in and actively belaying, and helpless to do anything about it. At Vantage, I have more than once seen some pooch narrowly missed by falling rock that would have gravely injured if not killed. Not everybody appreciates your pet (probably named "Chilkoot," "Denali", "Tahoma" or "Gri-Gri".) Leave them in the car with the window cracked for fresh air or better yet, leave them at home. As noted, they also don't seem to deal with wildlife very well whether it's a chipmunk, rabbit or mountain goat. Bad Dog! Go Home!

dogrockclimbing_thumb.jpg

That was my dog. He was just being obedient after I issued the command to "sic pack".

Not all humans are like Raindawg: and not all dogs poo in other people's shoe.

If the crag scene frosts yer tits, take em to the hills. It'll be one less dick on the dance floor to have to deal with.

Edited by tvashtarkatena

That was my dog. He was just being obedient after I issued the command to "sic pack".

If the crag scene frosts yer tits, take em to the hills. It'll be one less dick on the dance floor to have to deal with.

World-class wit and wisdom from some guy with 16951 posts.... :rolleyes:

...and zero whiners as friends.

All the world loves a complainer.

ur the biggest whiner on this site and u suck at climbing but yet u have more tr's than anyone, well other than a guy who runs mountains and ur big wall mentor :lmao: trash, u r the epitome of mediocre. i'd so drink a box of beer with you though :)

World-class wit and wisdom from some guy with 16951 posts.... :rolleyes:
Speaking of dogs at the crags, you GO, DAWG, GO! SAVE THE BOLTS, SAVE THE DOGS AND YOU SAVE THE WORLD!!!