Define EPIC.

luvshaker

I have never been involved in an Epic, at least according to my defination of Epic. I hope I never Epic. I've whipped, been bloody, had toes go numb for weeks, spent an unplanned night on a 1 ft ledge, crashed, and shot a charging bear with a pistol. None of these epic. Today a 4th grade kid said to me "you should have seen how big the tacos were today, it was Epic". I was puzzled. As well, no dis on other cool trip reports recently....but Epics? No overnight? no loss of body part? certainty of death? dimentia? no starvation? Stitches from you buddy? Crawl out?

And while I'm on the topic, a Whipper is not taking a lead fall with the bolt at your feet.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

having a bear charge you is epic, with or without a pistol.

dictionary

epic- pertaining to a long poetic composition usually centered around a hero, in which a series of great acheivements or events is narrated in elevated style.

or of unusually great size or extent

Your criteria are not in the definition. So if the kids were talking about a heroic taco that saved the kitchen from the evil tater tots and a song was written about it, then they are right.

or the taco was ten feet tall.

whipper is relative. If you are the one falling, it is a whipper.

I have never been involved in an Epic, at least according to my defination of Epic. I hope I never Epic. I've whipped, been bloody, had toes go numb for weeks, spent an unplanned night on a 1 ft ledge, crashed, and shot a charging bear with a pistol. None of these epic. Today a 4th grade kid said to me "you should have seen how big the tacos were today, it was Epic". I was puzzled. As well, no dis on other cool trip reports recently....but Epics? No overnight? no loss of body part? certainty of death? dimentia? no starvation? Stitches from you buddy? Crawl out?

And while I'm on the topic, a Whipper is not taking a lead fall with the bolt at your feet.

Would an extra large Taco then be called "sick", or "sweet"?

I'd say your definition is so strict that it changes the definition of the word. Most reasonable people would call many of those things epic.

I did notice that. That is a valid argument against it. But it also is vague enough to encompass the subjectivity of danger, which was quite well demonstrated by the OP definition.

If you read my whole definition you might reconsider. I don't consider placing a piece in a bad spot averting disaster every time.

That said, it's just my opinion.

One time, I had to climb in the rockies in the winter in my underwear after being taken prisoner by an international group of murderous thieves who lost their money when they jumped out of a plane. I even had to hide under a frozen lake and shoot a guy in the chest with my bolt gun. That was after chopping a rope with my crampons, by hand. AND I hadn't even climbed in years because I watched some chick die and it really messed with my head.

now THAT's epic.