NW FOREST PASS

AARON1

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Special dyes were included on the NW Forest Pass the past few years. This enables the Forest Service to scan individuals with a black light device to see if this dye is present. If the dye is present, they attach a tracking/counter device to your vehicle and it is all captured in a database in Washington, D.C. So, no you don't need another one.

quote:

Special dyes were included on the NW Forest Pass the past few years. This enables the Forest Service to scan individuals with a black light device to see if this dye is present. If the dye is present, they attach a tracking/counter device to your vehicle and it is all captured in a database in Washington, D.C. So, no you don't need another one.

Greg: the dyes they were using were found to be "not toxic enough for public use" so they have gone to the implant plan. This too is being done "only on a trial basis". The final results will be reviewed after a 3-year period. So if you see a stranger in a ranger uniform sneaking into your bedroom at night just go back to sleep and never mind that strange mark on the back of your neck in the morning. Oh yeh, they recommend using caution around anything run by remote control!

Craig

quote:

Originally posted by trask:

Fuck em' in the bung.

A "bung" is the plug or stopper for a cask or barrel.

So, technically it would be, "Fuck em' with a bung." or "Fuck em' in the bunghole."

But, yeah, plug that orifice!

[ 08-27-2002, 06:52 PM: Message edited by: ScottP ]

Hi,

This is Mrs. Retro.

Fee Demo, came on a ryder attached to an Interior Appropriations Bill in Congress. It is a demo program but they can issue citations. This ryder gives the forest service authority to contract out to private industry to build marinas, resorts, theme parks, etc, etc, etc, on our public lands. This bill was put together by ARC (American Recreation Coalition) which is made up of CEO's of big corporations such as REI, DISNEY, MOTORHOME COMPANIES, American Hotel and Motel Association, American Motorcyclist Association,

American Petroleum Institute, American Powerboat Association, American Resort and Residential Development Ass'n, American Suzuki Motor Corporation,Chevron Corporation, Coachmen Industries, Inc., Coast to Coast, The Coleman Company, Inc., etc. etc....

There are no low impact representation in the ARC membership.

STATEMENT BY DERRICK CRANDALL, PRESIDENT, AMERICAN RECREATION COALITION, ON IMPLEMENTATION OF THE RECREATION FEES DEMONSTRATION PROGRAM, PRESENTED TO THE U.S. HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES COMMITTEE ON RESOURCES, SUBCOMMITTEE ON NATIONAL PARKS AND PUBLIC LANDS, FEBRUARY 26,1998.

"...we are proud to say the American Recreation Coalition and the Recreation Roundtable - a related group of recreation-industry CEO's - have invested heavily in staff and member time in helping the federal agencies covered by the fee demonstration program with project-level and national support and advice on sound fee programs. We have arranged for top marketing and communications executives from Disney, REI and other companies to work with the Enterprise Forest fee team in the design and implementation of that project; we have assisted more than a dozen additional Forest Service fee sites with specific communications efforts,..."

An article in May 98's Motorhome Magazine quotes Derrick Crandall of the American Recreation Coalition -

"We believe the Forest Service largely will be out of the developed-site camping business within the next 10 years. Where we do see a difference is in the need to upgrade or consolidate existing campgrounds that are too small to be economically viable if they were operated by the private sector.

"If you have three 40-site campgrounds in a National Forest district, we may well see that those are essentially closed and a new

120-site campground is built to today's standards, using private-sector dollars."

They also list what makes a site economically viable, laundry hookups, store, rentals, etc..etc.. Think of snow creek parking lot having a store and other privately owned businesses.

Does this outrage you?? Commercialization of our public lands; it's happening now. The fee demo program lasts until 2004, but ARC is working overtime to make it permanent. ARC is also in charge of evaluating it. How long and how far do we need to bend over. The devastation to our public lands/wilderness will be great, if ARC has it's way. We will become the customer on our own public lands. Feel like a foreigner without a home yet? I do. Write your congressman, become aware of the issues.

Washington Congressmen/women:

Washington's 3rd District:

Brian Baird

U.S. House of Representatives

1721 Longworth Building

Washington, DC 20515

Phone: (202) 225-3536

Fax: (202) 225-3478

Washington's 6th District:

Norm Dicks

Congressional Offices

WASHINGTON, D.C.

2467 Rayburn House Office Bldg.

Washington, D.C. 20515

(202) 225-5916 [voice]

(202) 226-1176 [fax]

Websites to check out:

freeourforests.org; sespewild.org.

Don't buy a forest pass, or a parking pass. It is used as a vote for fee demo. Fight it. What ever amount the forest service brings in from fee demo, it is subtracted from the amount they receive from the Federal Government. This is scary and makes fee demo something more permanent.

Ask your Congressman to cosponsor and support the Capps Bill H.R. 908. This is pending legislation which calls for an immediate end to forest fees and using forest road construction funding for forest recreation!

Ask your Congressman to cosponsor and support the Bono Bill H.R. 1139. This is pending legislation which calls for an immediate end to forest fees!!

So lets stop talking about fees, and get to the real issue 'COMMERCIZATION OF PUBLIC LANDS'.

PS. Fee Demo is undemocratic. One of the definitions of democracy is social equality. Does this sound like equality to you? "IF YOU CAN AFFORD TO PAY, YOU CAN PLAY"

Betty Merriman

quote:

Originally posted by ILuvAliens:

What's the deal then. Upon our return to the Esmarelda Basin Park Lot my brothers car had a citation: Pay $50 or show up in court on so in so date.

We got fucked by that a year ago. I think we

pleaded not guilty on the ticket, sent it in, and never heard back.

quote:

Originally posted by Gary Yngve:

quote:

Originally posted by ILuvAliens:

What's the deal then. Upon our return to the Esmarelda Basin Park Lot my brothers car had a citation: Pay $50 or show up in court on so in so date.

We got fucked by that a year ago. I think we

pleaded not guilty on the ticket, sent it in, and never heard back.

Ditto on that. We also returned a disputed citation and got no reply. I think the test program enforcement is largely ceremonial--or easily lost in the FS bureaucratic quagmire.

quote:

Originally posted by CraigA:

Greg: the dyes they were using were found to be "not toxic enough for public use" so they have gone to the implant plan. This too is being done "only on a trial basis". The final results will be reviewed after a 3-year period. So if you see a stranger in a ranger uniform sneaking into your bedroom at night just go back to sleep and never mind that strange mark on the back of your neck in the morning. Oh yeh, they recommend using caution around anything run by remote control!

Craig

Thanks, Craig, you have just explained the strange dreams I have been having. Also, the microwave goes on when I walk into the kitchen.

Greg W

Apparently you can now get a $5, $30, or $50 ticket depending on the ranger for not displaying your stupid parking pass. The $50 ones apparently will be reported like parking tix to the DMV and could be a problem when you go to renew your tabs. Everyone I know who's gotten the $50 one has been somewhere around the Teanaway when it happened. There's a proper discussion on nwhikers.net if you want more info on this.

I think the whole thing is completely fucked, but manage to get a free one without volunteering.I figure it keeps me in licence tabs

and by not buying them, I'm not voting YES for stupid parking passes.

If I felt that they were using the $ to work on trails it would be a different story, but most of it seems to be going for enforcement at the moment. Plus as long as the FS continues to have such bad financial policy re logging, it really pisses me off that we are paying to use our own land for relatively low-impact activities like hiking and climbing.

Did I mention that I think the whole deal is fucked?

I bought a day pass this year, and scanned it, and so I can print as many copies as I need. I was going to edit the numerals on the pass, but I figure Larry isn't recording them to enter in some database, so haven't bothered.

E-mail me if you want a copy of the scans.

It seems like the first year they started doing it, I noticed a some access roads that looked noticably better. But lately it seems like just the opposite. The road up to Mt. Pilchuck, which must be netting hundreds of $$ every weekend, is just horrible.