IB

kevbone

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Because the topic is actually valid, even if the behavior of the various posters is not. So, I'll leave that turd there for any to dissect, and everyone can cavort here to their hearts content. Thanks for making a home for it Kevin.

I'm not interested in parsing out the considered argument from the inflammatory dreck in that thread; I'm a traffic cop, not a babysitter.

I would like to quote Bug, since he hit the nail squarely on the head when he said:

We will never agree.

Feel free to let this stupid "debate" die.

Locked, but not B4 Raindawg linked this beauty on a bolt removal thread on Supertopo! THIS THREAD IS ABOUT THIS THREAD

Raindawgs link to the Climbing bolt removal instructions on Supertopo

:lmao: Thanks for the laugh JH! The clinic should be expanded and re-named Route Restoration 101, which will allow for more in depth study with the 201 course later. Maybe with a Royal Robbins guest lecturer clinic as a highlight.

Be sure to sign up for the following day's clinic on Route Restoration. Topics include:

Keynote Address: "Live and Let Bolt?"

Bolt Chopping: Crow or breaker bars?

Bolt Hole Repair: Which epoxy fits your style?

Paint Removal: Latest techniques and technologies (presented by a co-lead of the Sistine Chapel renovation team).

Chopping Ethics - Session A: A review of state by state removal notification laws.

Chopping Ethics - Session B: Should you wait for the FA to finish and get off the route before starting to chop from the bottom?

Chopping Ethics - Session C: Bolted cracks and preventing violence at crags.

Chopping Ethics - Session D: Are there any crags protected from bolting by the community without intervention by a private land owner or regulatory action by public land managers?

Chopping Ethics - Session E: Dishman, a case study in successful dispute resolution.

Chopping Ethics - Session F: Infinite Bliss, a case study in necessary arbitration or collective paralysis?

Chopping Ethics - Session G: Chopping, an individual or community responsibility?

Chopping Ethics - Session H: Chopping, Elitism or crowd control?

Chopping Ethics - Session I: Ken Nichols - Profiles in courage or savagely misguided atrocities?

We'll be holding this clinic at Owen River Gorge due to the abundance of bolted cracks - look for a clinic at your crag soon!

...of course, we have a 27 page thread going on already with this issue. http://cascadeclimbers.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/896687/27/Sport_vs_Trad

Because the topic is actually valid, even if the behavior of the various posters is not. So, I'll leave that turd there for any to dissect, and everyone can cavort here to their hearts content. Thanks for making a home for it Kevin.

I'm not interested in parsing out the considered argument from the inflammatory dreck in that thread; I'm a traffic cop, not a babysitter.

I would like to quote Bug, since he hit the nail squarely on the head when he said:

We will never agree.

Feel free to let this stupid "debate" die.

While I am flattered at being quoted, I believe that the freedom to debate indefinately is one of the strong points of the internet.

I would vote to unlock the thread. Those who spray, define themselves. If it was not important, nobody would read it or care about it much less post in the thread.

Hey Kimmo, Maybe you missed it but I asked for someone to bolt the Gendarme pitches on the NR of Stuart so fat old farts like me can get up it. Would you mind? It would make it accessable to the masses.

We all know how important that is.

Yeah Bug, seems like I frequently completely misinterpret what you're saying.

Nonetheless, every point made in 2010 can be found in the posts from 2006. Feel free to reread them, there are some pretty good points made.

Mature eye sucks don't it?

Freedom of choice.

Ask the Chinese.

Hey Kimmo, Maybe you missed it but I asked for someone to bolt the Gendarme pitches on the NR of Stuart so fat old farts like me can get up it. Would you mind? It would make it accessable to the masses.

Bug. Bolting the NR of Stuart is completely different than IB and you know it. Bolting a crack is different that placing a bolt where there is no crack. I say three or four places on the route that could have been gear protected. Out of all the bolts on IB…I say that is pretty good.

Off. You know I love ya, but locking the other thread was not good. I have to agree with bug that we may not all agree, but the right to say it is invaluable. It’s not like you guys up at cc.com headquarters are running out of cyberspace. You locked it because it is the same old argument? So what? You might as well lock every single political thread.

Take care

Bone.

and we all know how similar it is too (not to mention important. because i'm quite sure my world would come to an end if this happened. and that is how i measure importance).