best overall digital camera for climbing

Ed_Hobbick

I definitely like my Canon SX200IS but it is definitely bulkier/heavier than the old SD850IS that I had. The larger optics do allow it to take slightly better photos though while still fitting in my pants or jacket pocket.

I once carried my Canon G9 and it was just annoyingly large/heavy.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I use:

Ryobi Tek4 Durashot Digital Camera

A fair review of the camera:

http://www.oneprojectcloser.com/waterproof-and-dust-resistant-digital-camera-the-ryobi-tek4-digital-camera-review/

I hate messing with a camera on trips bottom line. Taping batteries to my armpits so they would stay charged in the cold. Taking off my gloves to take a photo because the buttons are small. Getting the camera crushed in my pack. In the past I used a cannon powershot preceeded by a sony cybershot. The dying battery was always my number one issue with both. I ended up crushing the cybershot.

One day at home depot I saw this camera for job sites. Shock resistant, waterproof, and had a huge ass rechargable lithium Ion battery. The battery is at least 10x the size of all compact digital camera batteries. I figured what the heck and got one off ebay for $100 new. First thing I did when I got it is put it in the freezer for 3 days after charging it up. After taking it from the freezer I loaded up 3 sim cards with like 200 photos and 20 min of video. The battery was still fine, in fact it has been a month since then and I am just charging it again. The buttons are big enough to use with gloves on. The pictures are good enough for me.... there is a slight delay between your ability to take photos and I guess the image quality is not top notch.

My requirements for a camera were:

1. Battery life

2. Durability

3. Ease of use

4. Image quality

I figured I could always photoshop pics that were not perfect. If the camera doesn't work I wouldn't have anything to photoshop.

I was looking at that Canon but decided on the Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS3. Ordered it 2 days ago, can't wait to use the 12x optic zoom, my present camera is nice but only 4x optic zoom.

I hang my camera around my neck inside my base layer to keep the batteries warm, never had a problem.

Edited by Buckaroo

I have the Panasonic with the massive 10x or 12x zoom and the sweet Leica lens. However, they don't really like the abuse I've been heading out with it recently, and I think my second one within a year has just succumbed, this one perhaps to the dust. It has High Def video, awesome image stabilization and video capture, and a great zoom, but I can't recommend it to anyone who's not a millionaire and prepared to keep replacing them. Non-climbers who want to film their kids wedding or capture the lil ones first baby steps in 1080p hi-def or get crystal clear long range shots -so good that stuff shows up you didn't see, get this and a good case with it too. Climbers - pass on the Panasonics.

Yes, I have almost bought the Panasonic LX3 but changed my mind for exactly the same reason. I am going to wait until April when Sony releases its new 4-proof Cybershot TX5:

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&productId=8198552921666122654

My Olympus Stylus 780 is officially pronounced dead after three years of use and abuse.

BTW, whoever wants it for spare parts or accessories (2 extra Li-Ion batteries, card reader and a 2GB Olympus xD card) can have those for free before it all goes to the Salvation Army.

I have the Panasonic with the massive 10x or 12x zoom and the sweet Leica lens. However, they don't really like the abuse I've been handing out, and I think my second one has just succumbed, this one perhaps to the dust. It has High Def video, awesome image stabilization and video capture, and a great zoom, but I can't recommend it to anyone who's not a millionaire and prepared to keep replacing them.
Love mine too but I'm on my 3rd one, all covered by warranty so far. Bill, you ever have a problem with the LCD screen disappearing when you try to take vertical oriented pics? Sure miss having the view finder as well.

I have the Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX2. Got it mainly for the manual controls, 16:9 ratio, and 28mm wide lens.

I beat it up pretty good and it's still truckin. It only really craps out now from moisture when I sweat into it too much during a trip. Dries out and works fine.

The 28mm is real nice to have:

http://cascadeclimbers.com/plab/showphoto.php?photo=45231&size=big&cat=500&ppuser=15545

I have the Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX2. Got it mainly for the manual controls, 16:9 ratio, and 28mm wide lens.

I beat it up pretty good and it's still truckin. It only really craps out now from moisture when I sweat into it too much during a trip. Dries out and works fine.

The 28mm is real nice to have:

http://cascadeclimbers.com/plab/showphoto.php?photo=45231&size=big&cat=500&ppuser=15545

The shot delay is pretty quick too, for a point & shoot digital, anyway. So long as you don't use the AI feature, that really slows it down...

Yes, I have almost bought the Panasonic LX3 but changed my mind for exactly the same reason. I am going to wait until April when Sony releases its new 4-proof Cybershot TX5:

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&productId=8198552921666122654

My Olympus Stylus 780 is officially pronounced dead after three years of use and abuse.

BTW, whoever wants it for spare parts or accessories (2 extra Li-Ion batteries, card reader and a 2GB Olympus xD card) can have those for free before it all goes to the Salvation Army.

Make sure you check that the touch screen works with gloves on, some(all?) doesn't work at all even with thin gloves on.

I currently climb with the Pentax Optio WP ( link ) which is around 5 years old at this point and on its last legs (fell out of jacket pocket while changing layers on a climb - luckily landed on the ledge at my feet and just shattered the viewscreen). I swapped the stock lanyard for a long one I got at a cell phone store that goes around my neck with the camera in my chest pocket.

I recently read some reviews of all the water/shock-proof cameras, this one won the competition hands down from an image quality standpoint: Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS1

Apparently, there is a new one out (TS2) that did not make the review.

• 1 month later...
Olympus Stylus!!!

I bought the 770SW for my wife (me) :) last Christmas. I love it. I don't think you can beat it for a point and shoot. It's shock and waterproof. To clean it off after getting dusty/dirty the directions say to turn it on and stick it under the faucet!!

Last spring I stepped on it with my crampons on. Put a scratch on the case and LCD display but works great.

The only draw back that I see is there is no viewfinder. Bright light conditions can be tough but hasn't caused too much of a problem for me yet.

The camera is nice because it can take a beating. I have a hard time getting pictures I like with this though under harder light conditions. The shutter lag is fucking terrible. The flash is unpredictable. It's great for the beach, but when your hands are freezing the lag will make you want to put pick through it. Before this one I had a Nikon S210 which I got at Costco for $100 and it was awesome. Great pictures in all light with no shutter lag. Not the most durable though and broke with pretty small drop.

I just wanted to follow up with this and say I would not buy the Olympus as a primary compact camera. Another ding I discovered is that they have their own size media.

Don't know if it's the best, but I've been really pleased with my canon SD800... Particularly I like the built in "wide-angle" lens... It's held up remarkably well too to some physical abuse (like sitting on it at belays, dropping it, etc). Even jumped into the water with it on my harness once by accident and it still worked (although I don't recommend! :) )

• 3 weeks later...

I carry two cameras in my pack. I have a canon sd1100 for when I don't want to carry my slr camera, which is a canon 50d, paired up with a sigma 10-20 wide, or a sigma 18-250. The 50d is heavy, noticably heavier than my old rebel xt, which Austin is still using in China. But the 50d has a metal body, and will probably last a good 10 years. It also shoots awesome low light photos, like around a campfire. If you are passionate about all forms of photography, from macro to telephoto, you will love a slr. The weight is a pain, probably lowers my lead ability a few levels, but the exposure and focus control makes the pictures worth the trouble.

My little sd1100 shoots ok, occasionally shoots a great image, and the video is fun, but I am frequently frustrated with the lack of manual focus, and the grainyness at 100%.

Not that little cameras can't take good pictures. Andy shot all these photos (or at least the bugaboos ones) with his little point and shoot:

http://cascadeclimbers.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/921316/TR_Bugaboo_Link_up_and_Squamis#Post921316

My buddy Craig just bought the Canon rebel t2i SLR. It is as light as the old xt, but shoots around 18megs clean with excellent dynamic range, and shoots hd video. That thing is nice!

I use an olympus stylus 1050sw, because i got a great deal on it (150). Waterproof (great because i also fish), shockproof, crushproof, and a tap control to use with gloves.

overall i love it. i wish i had an updated model with hd video. the camera does struggle under some more challenging light conditions, but it does real well in good light. my favorite thing is its size, large screen, battery life, and all metal construction. its bobmproof. It also uses a lightwieght battery and i own 5 of them, purchased for about 3 bucks each on ebay.

Also, it uses a good memory format that is small and available for cheap.