Route Conditions on Colfax

jpark42

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

JP and I went up on Sunday to check out Colfax with gear in hand knowing the route wasn't in (fully that is). We confirmed that the second ice tier is not there, however it's starting from. The route should come in soon if there are no major warm-ups. A tad more snow would might not hurt.

We bailed and ended up having another great day of climbing Seracs. We found a pretty big one higher up and it was surrounded by lots of crumbling ice (lots o' spooky cracking sounds).

• 2 weeks later...

No idea about Colfax but made the drive up to Mowick lake TH on the n side of Rainier yesterday morning and a 6 to 8" of hard rain pack at the gate (closed btw) and a LOT more in the last 1000 foot to the lake by the looks of it. Mtn look plastered. Bet the climb would be awesome with a little sun.

I spent the day in the seracs yesterday and hiked out to the toe of the Coleman on my way back to scope out Colfax. I agree that the route is in, and most probably at the high end of it's difficulty.

Baker's getting hammered right now, but if anyone's looking for a partner for after this storm cycle, send me a PM.