Index Photo Brewbooks

mattp

I'm working on a flier for the WCC's Index fund-raising effort and have found a lack of photo's that show what the Lower Town Wall at Index is all about.

We have some good climbing shots (could always use more) and satellite images are easy to come by, but I'm looking for someting that conveys the feeling of the place in a "what would I see if I went there" kind of way.

A Flickr photo posted by somebody with screen name brewbooks is the closest to that I have found (an aerial oblique shot showing the Lower Town Wall area with a little broader view showing its setting is also something I am presently looking for). Does anybody know who "brewbooks" is?

What do you folks think about harvesting photo's from the web and recycling them for use in other applications -- such as a fund-raising effort or (for that matter) some other purpose?

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have always sought permission.

I wonder, though: where is the basis for it if someone really expects that kind of courtesy if they post something in a public forum on the Internet? I realize that books have been copyrighted for eons, but isn't the Internet a different beast? Don't we expect that anything we post here can be downloaded and conveyed elsewhere? Shouldn't we?

(In the present instance, I won't use the photo unless I can contact the person who posted it. There is too much at stake to risk alienating somebody.)

You'd have to buzz the treetops to get a good shot of the LTW. Too bad the Inn/restaurant in Index went under. I'm forgetting its name - ate there a bunch and stayed there once too. It was very picturesque with the UTW as a backdrop.

I have always sought permission.

I wonder, though: where is the basis for it if someone really expects that kind of courtesy if they post something in a public forum on the Internet? I realize that books have been copyrighted for eons, but isn't the Internet a different beast? Don't we expect that anything we post here can be downloaded and conveyed elsewhere? Shouldn't we?

(In the present instance, I won't use the photo unless I can contact the person who posted it. There is too much at stake to risk alienating somebody.)

The Flickr copyright rules are spelled out pretty clearly on the site and in fact on each individual photo (users can choose whether to apply full copyright or Creative Commons to individual photos). Did you find the rules hard to understand?

Lots of pilots around. Just pay for the gas money and they will fly you right over the wall. Bet you can get a hundred pictures on a nice digital SLR. Seriously, my co-worker is gonna take me out there in Fall when all teh leaves hit the ground. Taking a Digital SLR and HD production Video Camera.

Speaking of Fund Raisers for Index, How about someone with PHOTOSHOP skills make a poster size photo of the lower town wall with Clint Cummins topos of the routes "superimpossed" over it? Kinda like the ones they sell of Yosemite. Cost to make in mass production about $5-10. Fund raiser cost $25.00. Bet it would raise a lot of money!

What do you folks think about harvesting photo's from the web and recycling them for use in other applications -- such as a fund-raising effort or (for that matter) some other purpose?

This sure is an odd post.

Does our collective answer to this question affect the way you'll treat any particular photo?

What do you want to hear, here?

The Flickr copyright rules are spelled out pretty clearly on the site and in fact on each individual photo (users can choose whether to apply full copyright or Creative Commons to individual photos). Did you find the rules hard to understand?

Backoff Dru, he's a lawyer. Sounds like a good one too.