What an illegal credit card skimmer looks like

billcoe

http://consumerist.com/5218680/heres-what-a-card-skimmer-looks-like-on-an-atm?skyline=true&s=i

Thought you folks would enjoy seeing this. This happened to me. My card got skimmed and someone from Brazil was buying condos in Florida and servers in Canada on my card.

Pin hole camera over insertion point to capture your number:

041909-008-atm-skimmer-pinhole-camera.png

back of it.

041909-008-boa-atm-skimmer-pinhole-camera-back-2.png

With skimmer

041909-008-boa-atm-skimmer-front-2nd-angle.png

Similar but genuine version below:

041909-008-shell-legit-card-slot-2.png

They make a portable version as well which is actually more common ad used by gas station attendants and others to pick up extra cash.

PortableSkimmer6.jpg

anyway, thought it would be of interest to share: keep alert.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I received a call from "security" indicating that someone in What-the-F*** in What-the-State was using my car number last week. Apparently, they made a charge within a half hour of when I did, here in Seattle 2500 miles away. They have computers looking for this kind of stuff. Thanks, bank! (I don't think I would have ended up paying for it but I wouldn't want to have to mess with the process of refuting a charge!)

Thanks Bill.

With this stuff out there, I hope people cancel their debit cards and just use credit. You pretty much have to be nuts to use a debit card these days, too easy to get money sucked directly out of your account, not sure how easy it is to recover. It's a bit of a pain to get your credit card hacked, but at least you can just deny the charges without $ ever leaving your account or having your funds tied up while it's sorted out.

Had both debit card and credit card #s hacked a few years ago, luckily they weren't able to use the debit card, but they spent $5K in Vegas on my credit card. Now I go to the bank and ask the teller for cash, I don't want some card number providing a conduit to pull $ out of my accounts.

spam, I had my checking account compromised once. What a pain that was.

Incidentally, you must be loaded, Bill, if they were able to buy condos with your debit card. $$$$$

Last year took care of any dreams of me being loaded, however, my credit card does not have a limit.