OUTER SPACE - Falcon Nesting Closure until July 31

Lisa_D

While leading the first crack pitch on Outer Space this past Saturday, I was dive-bombed by a pair of falcons. Fortunately they didn't actually claw me. When I reached Library Ledge, the female falcon charged over and threatened me with outspread wings, sharp talons and beak. I was able to put in a gear anchor, and when the bird realized that I intended no harm she backed away. She has an egg on the ledge, and is really protective. I brought Jon up and we quickly climbed away. It was pretty spectacular to see such a wild and beautiful bird up close, but a little unnerving!

I spoke with someone from the ranger station and she thought that the route will likely be closed until July 31. The ledge is small, and falcons typically lay up to 3 eggs per season. Climbing through their nesting area is not only distressing for the birds, but dangerous for parties on the route.

Angry mama bird:

IMG_2626.JPG

But the good news is: the stream crossing is clear, and Snow Creek Wall is dry and ready to be climbed. Even the walk off is snow-free. - I guess this season people will have to explore Orbit, Mary Jane Dihedral, Hyperspace, and many of the other great routes!

IMG_2620.JPG

IMG_2619.JPG

To add insult to injury, a final objective hazard was found in the Snow Creek Parking lot outhouse. Shit really hit the fan for some unlucky soul... I have to give photo credit to Jon Toner, as I didn't have the stomach to take this one myself.

IMG_2614.JPG

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While leading the first crack pitch on Outer Space this past Saturday, I was dive-bombed by a pair of falcons. Fortunately they didn't actually claw me. When I reached Library Ledge, the female falcon charged over and threatened me with outspread wings, sharp talons and beak. I was able to put in a gear anchor, and when the bird realized that I intended no harm she backed away. She has an egg on the ledge, and is really protective. I brought my partner up and we quickly climbed away. It was pretty spectacular to see such a wild and beautiful bird up close, but a little unnerving!

The route will likely be closed until July 31. The ledge is small, and falcons typically lay up to 3 eggs per season. Climbing through their nesting area is not only distressing for the birds, but dangerous for parties on the route.

Angry mama bird:

IMG_2626.JPG

That's an amazing picture! Thanks for the heads up.

Lisa - nice pic.

There were three eggs as of Sunday. These chicks should be flying in the July 1-7st time frame and typically like to give them a week or two of flying before opening so a July 31st date wouldn't be at all unreasonable.

An official closure probably hasn't been instituted - yet - but folks should now cease climbing Outer Space. Cooperating voluntarily will be way, way more productive relative to access issues across WA than continuing to climb the route.

Poor humans! Contrived danger limitations!

Regardless, I think we should be proactive in spreading the word as best as possible to keep people off all the routes in the area until the end of July. There's plenty of other shit to climb. If you think otherwise, you're a dick head.

Snow Creek wall closure for outer space, iconoclast, edge of space, for sure, and possibly hyperspace. talked to the wildlife bio tech before they took off to investigate and they left a note confirming the above. Those are my favorite routes on the wall.

Sounds like they're open to a partial closure as opposed to shutting down the whole wall - that's means WDFW raptor biologists up in Region 2 are up for working with climbers on the closures which is way better than the alternatives. They may also be up for monitoring for when they chicks are flying reliably on their own for an open date as well - depends on resources, it may need to be hard date, but is probably worth asking about it.

I think it really is in everyone's best interest to avoid these routes and the nesting falcons. Along with all the obvious eco reasons, consider that a surprise dive-bombing falcon just might cause you to take the whipper of a lifetime.

Hell, I decked on a hiking trail when I was double-teamed by a pair of angry, nesting NZ falcons. They mean business!

And they might cause your pants to look like that toilet.

I think it really is in everyone's best interest to avoid these routes and the nesting falcons. Along with all the obvious eco reasons, consider that a surprise dive-bombing falcon just might cause you to take the whipper of a lifetime.

The pitches the falcons are protecting are long and only take a limited range of gear.. I was running it out a bit between pieces and was 15 feet above my last cam when I realized they were after me. I put in as much gear as possible after that, but only had so many #1 and #2 camalots and one big hex... I am sure I would have fallen off had the birds actually attacked me!