How do you treat your gear?

Clarence

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to be anal when I had a smaller rack and accoutrements. But then it took too much time to make it all nice between trips. I stopped taping biners, making sure I had my biners coordinated to as certain type of pro, etc. The fact is, I have no idea exactly what I own anymore. I feel like gear slowly dissapears to other racks, especially slings. Of course, its my fault. Maybe I'll find some colored tape or nail polish. Red with sparkles!

In the winter I go through all my gear and clean and lubricate my cams. I relabel carabiners with tape, etc and whatever else needs it.

In the summer, my gear pretty much lives in my pack.

If my gear gets wet, however, I am always sure to lay it out to dry as soon as I get home.

i use yellow tape on biners. I don't abuse it(no throwing or stepping on, but I definitely don't really keep track of it. Some people are so crazy about it. counting every biner and cam and nut. wtf, I have better things to do. I have no idea how many cams or biners I even own. bring what you need and if it has yellow tapes it mine at the end of the day.

Like a favorite cousin but sometimes you forget their birthday. If stuff gets wet, it gets laid out. Stuff has its own shelves in the closet (biners here, pro here, slings hang here, etc.) But same thing, I have no idea how many biners I have and I don't even tape them. If a biner goes disappearing so be it, just replace it.

Not long ago, I had a salesman in a local climbing shop tell me that I obviously abuse my gear when I complained that my most recent climbing helmet had been broken in my pack. I went in there, asking if he could sell me a helmet that wouldn't break if I sat on my pack or maybe took it off in a hurry, and his response indicated that I had no right to expect such a thing.

Do I need help? Is sitting on your pack an abuse of equipment?

sitting on your helmet is abuse, assuming your not using the old-school steel wehrmacht style guys

i clip my on the outside of my pack, or put it at the top, so i can make sure it's not under my ass when i sit on the pack

Not long ago, I had a salesman in a local climbing shop tell me that I obviously abuse my gear when I complained that my most recent climbing helmet had been broken in my pack. I went in there, asking if he could sell me a helmet that wouldn't break if I sat on my pack or maybe took it off in a hurry, and his response indicated that I had no right to expect such a thing.

Do I need help? Is sitting on your pack an abuse of equipment?

ummm i have sat on my pack slept on my pack. dropped my pack from higher than i like to admit... if sitting on your pack is abuse i think i am going to jail...

IT"S GEAR

i go through mine in the summer more often than i do in the winter. if my rope is wet i will hang it... if my pack is wet i will hang it. I go over everything every once in a while to make sure nothing is too worn out to use.

more like Ivan more spastic than anal.

sitting on your helmet is abuse, assuming your not using the old-school steel wehrmacht style guys

i clip my on the outside of my pack, or put it at the top, so i can make sure it's not under my ass when i sit on the pack

I do that cus i generaly cant get the helmet IN My pack. but i am the worlds worst packer and have been known to make those anal people weep becuase of my disorganization.