LED headlights

Sometimes I have to wear a headlamp all day at work. As a result, I have over 60 hours on my Princeton, on full bright, on the first set of batteries. Amazing.

I have used both the Princeton and the Petzl extensively, and cast a big thumbs-up for the Princeton.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

Originally posted by allison:

[QB]Sometimes I have to wear a headlamp all day at work. As a result, I have over 60 hours on my Princeton, on full bright, on the first set of batteries. Amazing.QB]

headlight at work...wtf...you readin' Playgirl in a dark closet or sumthin' ??? hahahaha

I have one of those new BD Gemini Halo/LED. I like it for durring surgery when I can switch to LED if the procedure is getting messy and I am feeling queasy so I don't see all of my patients guts and stuff. Although I need to remember to switch the Halogen back on prior to stitching up as I have accidentally left aparatus and whatnot inside a patient for lack of lighting. Some people are very picky about this sort of thing! You wouldn't beleive what kind of threats I have recieved for a simple mistake. Oh well, I am being paged and must run.

If anybody cares...

I own both the petzel pikka and the princton tec Led head light. I think the Princton is the superior light and it is significantly cheaper. [smile]

1) the Ptec has a directional hinge to better use the light.

2) It has different brightness settings

3) it is easier to change the batteries.

4) most importantly I find that the pikka starts becoming dim after just 10 hours where as the P Tec has some circuitry that keeps the light bright for the full life of the battries; plus in a tent you can use the low setting just about indefinatly.

The only disadvantage is that the switch is a bit tough to use with fat gloves and it is about 1/2 ounces heavier

terminal,

i whole heartdly agree.

also, for the all people that try and pull the weight manuever. well i use a princton-tec single led on a bungee with a toggle for the emertgancy light. works well when you aint got any thing else.

plus princtoc-tec is made in america!!!

• 1 year later...

After almost two years of field trials, I would like to retract my earlier recomendation. The problems with the petzl still exist but there are two problems with the Princtontec LED that I think make it totally unsuitable for mountaineering.

The battery contacts are two flimsy. A drop of only 2 feet on the ground will cause the contacts to deform and the light will fail.

Also, the case plastic is inferior and embrittles at colder temps.

I've gone through two of these lights and will not buy another. When I buy another sub-compact LED headlight it will be a BD

I just bought the new Tikka Plus last month and have used it several times. I like it and I think they solved the tilting issue rather well. The switch is still hard to depress with gloves on, but oh, well. I'd buy another. I had a PrincetonTec that broke-it was a piece of shit.

After almost two years of field trials, I would like to retract my earlier recomendation. The problems with the petzl still exist but there are two problems with the Princtontec LED that I think make it totally unsuitable for mountaineering.

The battery contacts are two flimsy. A drop of only 2 feet on the ground will cause the contacts to deform and the light will fail.

Also, the case plastic is inferior and embrittles at colder temps.

I've gone through two of these lights and will not buy another. When I buy another sub-compact LED headlight it will be a BD

my LED is a BD and I have beet the shit out of it carried it all over the place in my pack, wore it for hours at a time. I realy like that the batery pack rests in the back as I am little and that much weight over my brow tends to give me a sharp headache. I have yet to have to put new bateries in. I love it... can not rave enough. thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif Edited by Muffy_The_Wanker_Sprayer

The bluish-white LED's that are currently used are fine most of the time, but when it is foggy or drizzling, the blue light back-scatters badly. It would be neat if someone could come up with a head lamp with "fog lamps", that is a yellowish-white led. There is a high efficiency LED that puts out light at 592 nm, but I suspect it is nearly monochromatic. Chart.

I expect yellowish light would also make it easier to discern features in snow for the same reason that yellow goggle lenses do.

I just bought the new Tikka Plus last month and have used it several times. I like it and I think they solved the tilting issue rather well. The switch is still hard to depress with gloves on, but oh, well.

The plus for me of a Tikka is that it is so damn small, that I can easily carry it for an emergency light to get myself down from the Chief or Snow Creek Wall or something like that like once a year. The Tikka plus is bigger than the Tikka, just a bit more, but enough to make it more inconvenient for slipping in your pants pocket.

Those BD Ion lamps are REALLY tiny. I wonder if they would work in a pinch in an emergency descent. Two LED's versus three.

I had a P-tec and it broke.....I was mad.....but now I have a Tikka plus and I like it a lot because the beam clicks into place, unlike the princeton where mine was prone to moving and flopping down....whatever, I got the tikka for free since the ptec broke

Yeah, for all those pre-dawn approaches you do to the boulders. Right? rolleyes.gifthe_finger.gif

I had a P-tec and it broke.....I was mad.....but now I have a Tikka plus and I like it a lot because the beam clicks into place, unlike the princeton where mine was prone to moving and flopping down....whatever, I got the tikka for free since the ptec broke

Yeah, for all those pre-dawn approaches you do to the boulders. Right? rolleyes.gifthe_finger.gif

No, it's for the 420 sessions around the campfire!

No, it's for the 420 sessions around the campfire!

Only a rookie uses a headlamp for a 420 session around a campfire, rookie.

The Tikka plus is bigger than the Tikka, just a bit more, but enough to make it more inconvenient for slipping in your pants pocket.

I was a good yuppie and bought the bag to fit my Tikka after losing 2 lenses in the pack (they'd pop off and get lost). The Tikka Plus fits as well in the Pochette as the Tikka did. Tikka Plus has more light.

I have used and own the Tika and the BD Moonlight . Both are very good, but I prefer the BD Moonlight. It is only a little heavier than the Tika but it puts out more light and its directional beam is more effective.

That said, for sheer size and durability the Tika is a great little emergency use headlamp. I haven't used the BD Ion. It just seems too small and only two LEDs seems to be too few for the light that I want.