Gross me out!

olyclimber

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've never seen such a thing. Is UC Davis a teaching school ? Cause that would explain a lot.

Is this Rattlesnake bite (Northern Pacific rattlesnake) always handled in this manner? WTF? I've known folks to get bite by Western Diamondbacks and it just makes you very sick. They don't all go cutting into you.

I've never seen such a thing. Is UC Davis a teaching school ? Cause that would explain a lot.

Is this Rattlesnake bite (Northern Pacific rattlesnake) always handled in this manner? WTF? I've known folks to get bite by Western Diamondbacks and it just makes you very sick. They don't all go cutting into you.

Yeah, UC Davis is also home to a medical school, therefore has a teaching hospital.

I assume it was so bad because of the 4 hours it took him to get off the trailhead and howeverlong it took him to get treatment.

Edited by kevino

I thnk western diamond backs have less potent venom -- but I don't know if that's an old wive's tale.

It probably depends on how much venom you get from the bite, which I think can vary. Rattlesnake venom destroys tissue and stuff, and can be pretty dangerous -- you can lose limbs and they can be fatal.

About fifteen years ago, in a canyon a few miles from the canyon in which I live, a three-year-old boy was bitten in the lower leg. By the time they got him to a hospital, his leg had swollen so badly that, without intervention, he'd have lost the leg. They flayed his flesh to the bone in order to allow circulation.

He's eighteen-years-old now and I saw him just a month or two ago. He has a bad-ass-muthuhfuckin scar.

• 2 weeks later...
Doctors say Liu will have to come back to the hospital in another six months for surgery to reshape his left arm and shoulder. He is now left with three fingers on his left hand -- the thumb, the ring finger and his little finger, but it is hoped that with some training and rehabilitation, life will soon be back to normal for him, and he will no longer have to find ways and means to hide his hand whenever he goes out.

What exactly does he do? Walk around with that thing in a violin case like it's a tommy gun?

I actually do not find these pictures that "gross", its just anatomy after all! That first picture is great, you can see basically all of the pronators and wrist flexors. Also, looking at live tissue like that is such a difference to cadaver tissue! It really gives us an idea of the true physical nature of our muscles.

On a serious note, what an amazing story! Just think about how close that kid came to losing his arm or even dying...

Mad props to the surgeons who gave his life back. :tup::tup: