Other talents?

Jens

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I knit socks. Lots and lots of socks.

Jeebus Christ, ChrisT, WTF you been? It's been over a year since we've heard from you. Lose your password or sumpin'? ;)

I second that!!!

muffin hobbies and activities of interest:

yoga

cooking and baking

making jam

i am learning to knit (right now i make squares)

i LOVE spin class and biking

i surf the internet

i read but not as much as i would like to

i write all the time stories poems i have 3 blogs and my paper journal

climbing hiking etc when i can of course

but i am not amazing or even really and good at any of that stuff. i only have one true talent.

Wow, I have got to get some new hobbies. I feel like the things that I am really good at are things that I used to do, but don't do much anymore.

I recently picked up fly-tying and I think I am going to be pretty decent at it--but probably not above average. Matches up with my fishing talents though!

does above average mean that you feel like it's fun?

that you could make money from it if you wanted?

other folks would enjoy listening/eating/participating?

what's above average trad climbing? 5.9?

above average cooking?

Above average peformance doesn't equate to fun, that really depends on the individual. Some people I think have a ton of fun when they are pushing themselves. Sometimes climbing above average level is not so much fun for me, but being able to climb hard makes getting out on easier routes super fun. How do you figure money comes into, I do things for enjoyment, things I do for money I call work. Also the original question was talents outside of bedroom games and work. Who cares what other folks think about what I am doing, again I do it for personal enjoyment. If they enjoy it as well I guess it would be an extra benefit, but it is not what drives me to perform.

As for setting what above average means, that is hard one to call. As for trad climbing, yeah 5.9 is good place to start for average climbing. Above average I would tend to lean to 5.10 and yes there are a lot of people who can climb that, but my personal opinion what I consider average trad climbing wouold be around 5.9. What would consider above average bridge and argentine tango?

As for above average cooking, I interpet it is as having a good base knowledge about different foods and ingredients from around the world. Being able to look at fridge of random stuff and put together a nice meal, without a recipe. Being able to look at a recipe and make adjustment or replacements because of insufficent ingredient. I use raw ingredients for the most part, try to be creative and experimental. Like the other day I made an apple pie, I did not look at a recipe though I have it pretty much memorized, but I did modified it by putting in it one pear, one grated orange rind, cinamon, cream, then when I covered the pie, I made this design I had used when I made a stain glass lamp, which was underwater seaweed scene with bubbles. Just the crust alone I spent a good 30 minutes on. I am not sure if I would consider it an average apple pie. Iron Chef would probably be well above average cooking, where they are given a crappy main ingredient and still able to pull off something palateable.

Edited by ken4ord

I can fly for almost 20 feet. :grlaf:

The FAA can help with that:

The chicken gun (also known as the chicken cannon, turkey gun, or rooster booster) has been around since 1972. It's used for the "chicken ingestion test," one of a series of stress tests required by the Federal Aviation Administration before a new jet engine design can be certified. The tests take place in a concrete building large enough to enclose an entire jet engine. With the engine operating at full speed, the cannon uses compressed air to shoot chicken carcasses into the turbine at 180 mph. (The Air Force is known to launch its poultry projectiles at 400 mph into F-16 canopies.)

i'm a multi-talented multi-tasker.

Amen to that! Me too!!!! :tup:

I made some kick ass crocheted chalk bags (or ipod holders - ahem!), that is if you didnt keep them on your harness while bushwacking! :crazy:

I excel at dealing with chaos.

Im also really good at procrastinating - possibly the best!

I can fly for almost 20 feet. :grlaf:

The FAA can help with that:

The chicken gun (also known as the chicken cannon, turkey gun, or rooster booster) has been around since 1972. It's used for the "chicken ingestion test," one of a series of stress tests required by the Federal Aviation Administration before a new jet engine design can be certified. The tests take place in a concrete building large enough to enclose an entire jet engine. With the engine operating at full speed, the cannon uses compressed air to shoot chicken carcasses into the turbine at 180 mph. (The Air Force is known to launch its poultry projectiles at 400 mph into F-16 canopies.)
I recall a story where the Canadians decided they had better test their jet canopies using the chicken gun like the Americans were doing. After smashing several canopies they were completely perplexed. Finally an American advisor said, "these chickes are frozen, you have to thaw them out first".

i'll play most any sport.

love chess

biking motor and non.

i really hate auto mechnics but i sort of fell into it. fixing all the beaters i've had over the yrs.

music, drinking

i want to go surfing

and sky diving, maybe scuba as well

anyone wana go?