22 Killed in Virginia Tech Shooting

max

there are so many guns out there right now that if we banned them today, i can't imagine that it wouldn't be decades or longer before easy access to guns was a thing of the past.

Exactly. Better late than never. Maybe if things had changed after Columbine, or after the psycho DC area sniper, then we might not have to be having this argument. This issue is not about people who want to own a hunting rifle. The problem is how an extremely disturbed college kid was able to buy a gloc or whatever the hell it is.

A crazy person without a gun is just a crazy person. A crazy person with a gloc (sp? I have no idea) commits a massacre and kills 32 innocent people. Wise up people.

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I still have no opinion on the issue. Still it isn't fair to view a gun and a bow and arrow the same way. It takes a hell of a lot more skill and practice to kill somebody with a bow or even a stick.

If you back gun ownership then try and stay on subject.

I wonder if concealed weapons weren't banned on campus how this would've ended. It seems to me that no matter how much you ban something, only the crazies and illegals will be the ones left with what's banned. That leaves the average joe pretty powerless when someone decides to go off the deep end, especially in a place where there are lots of people and only one guy has a gun. That's a lot of power over everyone.

I think most of us have similar thoughts, whether we admit it or not. There is a huge disparity between the killing power of an average citizen, and a gun nut. Indeed, under our national policies, handguns are so easy to get, that it makes idiots out of those who would rather not carry them. It is a dangerous situation that none of us appreciate being put into.

And this is definitely a fear issue.

The question that really needs to be answered is this: assuming I choose (or am forced) not to carry a handgun, how is our system going to protect me from gun violence?

-take away all of the guns? (debateable, but certainly would make them harder to get, and more expensive...)

-prevent civilian ownership of semi-automatic weapons? (but how will we exercise our 2nd amendment rights to rebel against the oppressive gov't?! or in other words, how will we kill cops then :rolleyes:)

-increased security? (Armed guards at all public buildings?)

-more sensitivity to personal warning signs? (more handholding sessions? or Patriot Act III?)

-technology? (Tamper-proof tracking device embedded in all guns, triggers alarms in gun-free zones?)

But we better try to find an answer soon, because I bet it's a good day to be a gun dealer. And I'm willing to bet that the ones going out and buying guns right now include a lot of folks who would be better off without them... :noway:

After reading the history of mass murders on campus, I think they should ban Grad School. Or maybe include some mental health awareness as part of the curriculum.

In all seriousness, my grad school experience was relatively pleasant, but I know lots of folks who were treated lower than dirt by their committees or major adviser.

What an absolute ignoramus (sp?). So typical that these are the first words out of Bush's mouth.

You guys are no fucking different. The first thing out of many of your mouths, in reaction to this tragedy, is how guns should be banned. :ass:

I never said we should ban guns. I said that automatic weapons should not be readily available to psychotic mentally disturbed people, especially teenagers and college kids. They shouldn't be readily available to the general public at all. But nice try.

Guns in this country are a privilege not a right.

Guns in this country are a right not a privilege.

Oh yeah....do your homework.....look up how many times the courts has ruled that the 2nd amendment is not the end all. If it is a right, then why do you need a permit? If freedom of speech is a right then why do you need a permit to broadcast over airspace that nobody owns. I agree it should be a right….but I do not believe it is.

Oh yeah....do your homework.....look up how many times the courts have ruled that the 2nd amendment is the end all. Since it is a right, you don't need a permit to own a gun. Since freedom of speech is a right you do not need a permit to broadcast over airspace that nobody owns, as long as your broadcast amplitude as below a certain threshold. I agree it should be a right and it is.

What an absolute ignoramus (sp?). So typical that these are the first words out of Bush's mouth.

You guys are no fucking different. The first thing out of many of your mouths, in reaction to this tragedy, is how guns should be banned. :ass:

I never said we should ban guns. I said that automatic weapons should not be readily available to psychotic mentally disturbed people, especially teenagers and college kids. They shouldn't be readily available to the general public at all. But nice try.

Whatever dude. People were slaughtered and all the anti-gun lefties here are dogpiling on the "gun control" issue - as usual. And then they attack Bush for making this "political". I call bullshit.

From CNN, the details out are that AUTOMATIC weapons were NOT used:

"A source familiar with the investigation said the weapons found at Norris were a Walther .22-caliber semi-automatic and a 9 mm Glock -- both with the serial numbers filed off."

Furthermore, these guns may have been obtained illegally, considering that the serial numbers were filed off. If existing laws were broken in preparation for this crime, then how will new laws prevent such an incident? And if we ban automatic weopons now, just how would that have prevented it?

It's great that now we don't have Imus to bitch about, we can harp on the same fuckin gun control debate for a few weeks.

Good point. There is no difference whatsoever between a statement by the president's press secretary responding to a national tragedy and spray on a climbing website in response to the same.

I wouldn't advocate that. Certainly, you wouldn't possibly be unfairly generalizing from a vocal minority or anything like that... Just a thought. I would say that we'd have a safer society by having a 100% armed populace is an incredibly stupid idea, though, and flys in the face of reason and common sense.

It's great that now we don't have Imus to bitch about, we can harp on the same fuckin gun control debate for a few weeks.

Well, there are always the eternal favorites of Kristian Klimberz, evolution, liberal global climate change conspiracies, wilderness bolting, and 'home-schooled' Spanish supermodels to fall back on.

I wouldn't advocate that. Certainly, you wouldn't possibly be unfairly generalizing from a vocal minority or anything like that... Just a thought. I would say that we'd have a safer society by having a 100% armed populace is an incredibly stupid idea, though, and flys in the face of reason and common sense.

As the details of this guy come out, we'll see how predictable his acts were. He "looks" at first glance like a clean cut guy, private, reserved, probably a hard worker. He's been in the US since 1992, is legal with a green card. I don't see the warning flags yet.

Good point. There is no difference whatsoever between a statement by the president's press secretary responding to a national tragedy and spray on a climbing website in response to the same.

The liberals in congress will be all over this. No difference.

And you can't be a hypocrite and not get called on it buddy - being spray on a climber's website, notwithstanding.

I wonder if concealed weapons weren't banned on campus how this would've ended. It seems to me that no matter how much you ban something, only the crazies and illegals will be the ones left with what's banned. That leaves the average joe pretty powerless when someone decides to go off the deep end, especially in a place where there are lots of people and only one guy has a gun. That's a lot of power over everyone.

Only crazies and illegals smoke pot?

But you're right. We should all be armed all the time just in case a South Korean goes crazy and starts shooting people randomly. For me, that's the number one thing on my mind every minute of every day: who in front of me is going to suddenly snap and start shooting?

You have no idea how many tranquilizers it takes to keep me from going over the edge....

I'd like to see that experiment run some day. Give everyone in New York or LA a gun for the summer. Put a big wall up. See if the results actually jive with the premise that if *everyone* had a gun, no one would get shot. Seems to me that's an unproven statement. It's kind of like saying, if everyone had a computer, no one would be rude on the intertubes.

New York City did an experiment already: it legislated strict gun controls. It also boasts one of the lowest violent crime rates of any major city in the US.

For you gun lovers out there; the typical reaction of much of the country is after mass shootings like this is to demand tighter gun controls. Read the papers.

If you think most of the country is nuts (because of this 'illogical' reaction, from you viewpoint), I won't disagree with you. After all, look who sits in the Oval Office.

Edited by tvashtarkatena

Well, there are always the eternal favorites of Kristian Klimberz, evolution, liberal global climate change conspiracies, wilderness bolting, and 'home-schooled' Spanish supermodels to fall back on.

Spanish supermodels are much more interesting than school massacres and gun control.

W020061026425428570020.jpg