Rate the commute

layton

I'm looking for jobs in Seattle, and they don't all line up w/where I'd like to live. Any feedback on exactly HOW shitty the commute from the Freemont,Ballardish area of seattle would be to:

1.Bellevue

2.Redmond

3.Edmunds

4.Kirkland

5.Downtown

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm looking for jobs in Seattle, and they don't all line up w/where I'd like to live. Any feedback on exactly HOW shitty the commute from the Freemont,Ballardish area of seattle would be to:

I used to commute from Shoreline (North Seattle) to Bellevue every day. Here are my estimates.

1.Bellevue 30 min

2.Redmond 45 min

3.Edmonds 20 min

4.Kirkland 40 min

5.Downtown 15 min

1. Sucks. Mess w/ 520, or on bike/bus, take 271.

2. Really sucks. You have to take 520 a long way.

3. Dunno.

4. Sorta sucks. Mess w/ 520, or on bike/bus, take 255.

5. Not bad, w/ the 16/26 bus or biking down Dexter

Cool beta on 4:

Bike Burke-Gilman trail to Montlake, walk downto 520. Take ANY bus across to Evergreen or Yarrow. Bike the Evergreen Point trail to Lake Washington Blvd, bike lanes all the way to Kirkland.

Aside from downtown, which is super easy via 15th, those are mostlyshitty commutes. Edmonds would be manageable.

Expect frequent hour plus commutes to Bellevue, redmond, kirkland unless you work very flexible hours.

If you can get onto the Evergreen Point Floating Bridge before 7 am, you are okay. After that it's terrible.

Just hop the light rail Mikey! You can enjoy a cup to stump and your latest book from Powells or talk to a cute girl instead of screaming at morons who don't know how to merge

oh... wait... nevermind...

PS don't let the door hit in the :ass: on the way out of town beeyotch :grlaf:;)

Aside from downtown, which is super easy via 15th, those are mostlyshitty commutes. Edmonds would be manageable.

Expect frequent hour plus commutes to Bellevue, redmond, kirkland unless you work very flexible hours.

If you can get onto the Evergreen Point Floating Bridge before 7 am, you are okay. After that it's terrible.

This brings up an important point.

What time do you plan on commuting?

I go from as Ballard (by Golden Gardens, so as Northwest as you can be) to Bellevue. If I leave home before 7am and leave work before 4pm, I can make the drive in 30-40 min. This is the longest commute I have had since I moved to Seattle. It's all about timing.

1.Bellevue

2.Redmond

3.Edmunds

4.Kirkland

5.Downtown

If you value your sanity, and are considering any east-side-of-the-Lake destination for work, you MUST have unfettered access to I-90 Eastbound without getting onto I-5. Therefore living in S Capitol Hill, Leschi, Seward Park, Columbia, Rainier Valley is vastly pref to Fremont/Ballard.

If you insist on Fremont/Ballard then,

1. Abysmal, as you have to battle 520 OR I-5 to I-90 at the least

2. Abysmal, as you have to battle 520 OR I-5 to I-90 to 520 at the least

3. Not bad. Its kind of a reverse commute, esp if you can stay off I-5 Southbound coming home.

4. Terrible. You will have to battle 520. You wont really have the option to take I-5 to I-90.

5. Casual.

If a single bus across 520 can take you where you want to go in Bellevue/Redmond, then biking to Montlake from Freemont/Ballard and then taking the bus, ain't so bad. Although often on the way home 520 is so messed up that the carpool lane doesn't really help the bus go faster.

If you have to take your bike on the bus, it can get pretty infurtiating if you don't get a spot on the rack though.

i'm not commited to living or working anywhere, which is why I'm asking. It's hard to find a job and house that match in a city you don't currently live in. I'm commuting to seattle 1-3x/week to talk to doctors after school. That's a shitty commute!

1.Bellevue Buy a motorcycle. Slightly longer than Kirkland. Or leave your house at 3:00 a.m. and come home at 10:00 pm and you won't have a problem.

2.Redmond Ultra fucked. Ride the bus...1 hour min.

3.Edmunds 30 minutes. Not too bad. Reverse commute.

4.Kirkland Buy a motorcycle. Best of the 3 eastside.

5.Downtown 15 to 30 minutes. Many options. Good buses. Cycling also good. Absolute first choice. Plus the other places are cultural wastelands.

Please also note that their going to be tearing the shit out of the 520 bridge over the next several years.

Edited by tvashtarkatena