Cranio-sacral therapy?

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kat, some people swear by it, some think it's complete b.s.

It's up to you to decide for yourself. It's relaxing at the very least.

It's based upon the concept that the healer can feel a CSF (spinal/brain fluid) pulse and that the bones of the skull aren't fused, but able to move and be changed position.

There's no way to really prove or disprove their theory which leaves them exposed to severe criticism, but provides a shield for their theory at the same time. I do know that there are thousands of awesome success stories that people have only been helped by this technique. So, like I said...it's really up to you.

Personally, if I thought I needed it, I'd swallow my skepticism and try it.

I guess I don't know anything about it. Did it work for you? I crushed my pelvis and sacrum in a car accident and obviously I have a lot of pain. I have some nerve damage that if my back is touched it freaks out, and I can't lay on it, I have a hard time sitting in a chair that isn't cushioned, well, lots of crap, oh yeah, my left calf aches and hurts and my left foot is on pins, they say from nerve damage stuff or scar tissue formed and tightens on nerves or something. I heard it is good for the flow of the spinal fluid, but I really don't know anything about that.

But, what do they actually do? And how do you find someone that is good? And did it work for your malady? And also, how hard do they touch your back, because it is super sentsitive.

Hey Kat,

I don't know what the efficacy of CS would be with your issues. Anything could help. We have some great healers out here on Lopez Island that I could hook you up with. But healing takes place over time. Depends on what your re-location ability is. But closer to your home, I would not know. Like Pax suggests, Bastyr would be a ggod place to start.

I feel for your pain.

Cheers

Billy

I guess I want to hear some success or failure incidences so I can at least have some idea on what it is.

I just heard of this the other day. Now this is the second time. I wouldn't discount it. People use to think Chiropractors were quacks too and they're not.

Check this Kat: 10 pages of bullshit you don't need to get 1 post link

Summary: the 2 posts to read if you want to miss the choss including my posts: 1st she breaks her back, then later - polarity/cranial sacral sessions and she's fine. I'm like WFT is THAT? I'd never heard of it before.

I wanted to find it and dig this out for you as it seemed so germaine to your question. You can also PM Gblauer on RC.com and ask her about all of this.

"

Belayer Failure = Broken Back Quote | Reply

On Saturday, 2/10, I lead an easy 5.7 as a warm down. I got to the top of climb, clipped the last bolt, called out to my belayer and let her know that I was done with the climb and that I was going to drop off the wall. She acknowledged me and off I came.

Edited: I called down to her, let her know that I was at the top of the climb. I was a foot above my last bolt, so I elected to let go and "drop" off the wall rather than sling the horn. She acknowledged my intentions and said that she was ready for me.

I never felt the "tug" of the catch and continue to ride to rope all the way down to the floor. I landed on my feet, crunched into a ball, rolled on to my back. I immediately felt a "bloom" of searing pain across my lower back. Two days later, I am out of the hospital with an L2 compression fracture.

What did I learn?

1) It can happen to anyone (yes, even you)

2) You are only as strong as the weakest link in your system

3) Cull the herd; select your belayers carefully and only allow those you trust to give you a belay

4) Keep your circle small; know your belayers, constantly check on their potential for distraction, moods and energy level

So, several months of hard core training down the drain with one 30 foot fall. I really hope I can get my head back together.

Climb on.

jakedatc wrote:

s

Gail how are you doing? hope things are healing up chica

Gail said:

Thanks for asking. I am feeling rather well. My belayer has been doing polarity/cranial sacral sessions everyday and she has cleared most of my pain.

2 days after I got out of the hospital I went to see a spine doctor. She spent an hour with me, examined my xrays/ct scans, did neurological exams, range of motion etc.

She told me to ditch the brace and get moving. She advised me that I could do whatever I wanted and to use pain as my guide. I have actually been back to the gym 4 times since the accident; each time it gets easier to climb. I actually lead 2 10's today and I am not sore. I have the "leader must not fall" mentality, so my joy of leading isn't quite there. I hope that once my bones heal, I will be more willing to climb with my old sport attitude; falls (without consequences) are ok. Right now I am afraid of what it will feel like at the catch, not sure that my back would feel all that great.

I am glad to be back working out, it's going to take a long time to get my head back to where it was. "

Good luck, and report back if you decide to proceed will ya? Sh*t, it's got to be better than pain meds. She had discussed it somewhere else on the site and fleshed it out a bit. I have to admit it sounded like a mirical cure when she layed it out.

I go to a LMP that does cranio-sacral therapy. I've worked with her for years and can confidently recommend her--I go to her specifically for rehabing injuries.

Her name is Jen Gibson and her number is (206) 300-9598. If you go to her, ask her about her discount, she gives one if you purchase multiple visits at once. Good luck in your healing process.

Oh, this may be good for me, I think I'll try it. I has surgery yesterday on a big seroma I have on my thigh/hip. Anyway, this is what is written on Bastyrs site.

Also key to craniosacral therapy is the connection between muscles and bones, a netting of connective tissue known as the fascia. Injury or trauma, or even the guarding that occurs when we experience pain, can cause the fascia to be constricted, twisted or tense. The imbalance can affect the whole system, similar to the effect of a snag in a delicate fabric. By restoring the balance of this system, one improves the functioning of the central nervous system and the overall physical and emotional well-being of the patient.

According to Dr. Catherine Jones, a naturopathic physician, licensed acupuncturist and faculty member at Bastyr Center for Natural Health, a practitioner begins by making an assessment of the patient’s body by feeling the rhythms and noting temperature, pulse and blood flow changes, and where restrictions exist. “You might feel coldness or tension and the imbalance will be obvious to the trained practitioner,” says Dr. Jones. Then the practitioner will exert a very gentle pressure, so subtle it may be undetectable to an observer. A first-time patient may feel that very little is happening, although, Dr. Jones points out, there can be dramatic results after only one treatment. Through very slight movements, the practitioner is able to facilitate the release of restrictions and subtle misalignments, allowing the bones and joints to expand and contract properly. Often pain causes the body to assume a pattern that is difficult to correct – we tend to “guard” against the pain by protecting it with tensed muscles, causing misalignments, spasms, decrease in blood flow to the area and pain. Craniosacral therapy can break that pattern of pain.

I've had it done twice(for a back injury), once by an LMP and once by a PT. Both incorporated in their overall treatment--which included myofascial massage and trigger point therapy, respectively--and I have to say that out of dozens of treatments I have received from either of them over the past few years, those two sessions that included the cranio-sacral therapy inexplicably stand out.

My perception was that it took the healing experience deeper in some way, seeming to increase or enhance the effectiveness of their particular modality.

Not sure how it would be when done as a treatment on it's own, but I wouldn't pass up the chance to try if it came along.

Hope that's of some help, Kat. Best wishes to you in your recovery! Be well, Sherri:wave:

It does sound like it might be worthwhile exploring acupuncture. My doctor in Chicago was also in a bad accident before becoming an M.D. that left her with excruciating back/hip pain that no MD could ever resolve over several years. Then in desperation she then tried accupuncture and got fabulous results. Being who she was she enrolled in medical school, became an M.D. and promptly headed for four years of studies in China. Her experience sold me, particularly given she learned both schools of medicine.

Thanks guys,

I was wondering if it has worked for anyone here though? And what do they do specifically? Like, acupuncturists stick needles in you, what do C-S people do, I got the impression they tap you.

I had it done to my (then) 4 month old son. He was colicy. basicaly it is a head massage, very mellow.

My experience with a wide variety of medical and "alernative medicine" treatments, physical therapy, etc. has rarely ever yielded the impression that one single treatment or therapy was "the cure" of whatever ailed me.

I've never been hurt like you have, but I've had a whole slew of back problems and I've been in a couple of car accidents and even got whiplash skiing once (on a cc.com spring ski-in; this shoulod be a warning to all cc.com readers that cc.com events are dangerous).

There have been some significant moments where a particular treatment really helped. Twenty years ago I had a chiropractor who could fix my back with a single crack, I once had a beginning acupuncture student relieve the pain from a torn elbow tendon with a single session, and a seemingly insignificant bit of advice from a doctor like "take a break and lie down once a day" has made a huge impact. Far more frequent, though, have been the times when I healed over time while employing a variety of treatments that I hoped were complimentary but may hot have been.

I tried a few cranio sacral sessions once, and discontinued because it wasn't covered by my health insurance and it was such a light touch I just couldn't believe it was going to do much for me.

• 3 years later...

The only two methods I use are sacroiliac blocks to take pressure off the discs,

And a mild form of pumping/traction on the occiput to alleviate headaches. Both really help patients. I know nothing about their other treatments, but like all "named" techniques,, little outside research has been done, everythig is based on theory, $$ for being "certified", and a cure-all vibe surrounds it.

• 1 month later...