MLU's mandatory on Hood!

sketchfest

Suggestions for subverting the power of the state. Undermine the overreaction and over regulation, DESTROY!

~ Civilly disobey the Stupid Person MLU law (if you need one of these you shouldn't be there PERIOD, only dolts will follow this law).

~ Refuse all publicly funded rescue resources, aka boycott them. Learn how to fucking get yourself out of or to avoid a bad situation. Depend on a few close climbing buddies to come and get you if need be - you know, the old school way. Maybe we should consider forming small covert rescue groups - aka "mountain rescue sleeper cells".

~ Should you choose to actually wear the stupid person locator collar, take legal action against the state if your SP-MLU activation does not result in a timely and safe rescue/descent.

~ Tag the State capitol with a large "circle A" thingy.

Personally, I Will not join the dark side, nor will I shit on the graves of 3 climbers (who obviously valued the risks and freedoms of climbing) by wearing one of these. Thanks to this law, my style of climbing Mt Hood in the winter has now become illegal and I am now an outlaw.

Fuck you very much state of Oregon.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[*]There is no penalty for being caught w/o the required equipment

Then why the hell even have the law?

So, when they WILL catch me without the MLU, what are they gonna do? Wag a finger?

Yeah, wag the finger if you don't have one (for now, the tickets come later). But if you need a rescue and don't have an MLU, they may be able to find some way of assigning liability AND SAR cost/restitution. Politicians love scapgoating and retribution.

I know PDX is cool and all, but what did you expect from the American State of OREGON! :P

" The legislation got an unexpected boost last month. Three climbers trapped on the mountain overnight were rescued after they activated a mountain locator unit that led searchers directly to them."

As per the letter sent to the legislators those people appeared to have made bad decisions about heading up. First the headed up into bad weather. Second, they did not know how to use the most basic safty equipment, thier map and compass. They also did not know how to use the techie GPS as per the letter. But they sure did know how to use the MLU, "Help me I am an idiot." Folks we have seen the future, thank you group rescued with dog.

Oh ya I also like how the only thing that gets pictures is not the actual MLU that you will rent, but a $500-$600 item that you will buy most likley from REI. This climber does not plan on renting one any time. I will use my judgement when and if to go, and my skill in using the basic map and compass that does not depend on satellite coverage or batteries. By the way both of which have failed when I could have used it most.

Did they amend the measure before sending it to the floor?

According to an article on the web from a Salem paper: The measure calls for people climbing the 11,239-foot mountain above 10,000 feet to carry a two-way communications device such as a cell phone, satellite phone or radio, and one of the following: a global positioning system receiver, mountain locator unit, personal locator beacon or other comparable technology.

Does anyone know if this is correct?

I don't live "out there", but have been following this with some interest because I used to (MANY years ago), and my question is this: have any of you local folks written to the legislators? Is they only hears the whiners, they'll most likely only take that position when it comes time to make laws. If you have written, and they take this position anyway, let them know they're "outta there".

I REALLY hope this doesn't pass, I so despise further regulations, especially by people who don't know what they're talking about, but like to sound big and important, and so on....

Dave

I remember in my city that spiked heals were illegal.

The city never enforced it. The only reason was to cover the city's butt if in case somebody with spiked heals stepped in a crack and broke their ankles. The city would not be liable.

Maybe this is the same case. The government knows it cannot enforce MLUs, but in some way it is covering it's butt becuase search and rescue falls under the county's responsibility.

I'll second grandpa's point. If you haven't written to your senator (a little late for rep's i suppose) - do it now. we can gripe and whine and moan all we want but until we speak up, this is just going to keep steam-rolling along. Maybe everyone here has already done this (good on ya if so)... and if you HAVE written that just means (no surprise here) that our rep's didn't listen to us/voters any more than the SAR experts that went down to Salem... Time to vote some asses back out onto the street if you ask me...

Either way - make yourself heard...

We might STILL get steam-rolled (we make up a small lunatic fringe anyway right? :crazy: ) but at least we'll have more of a leg to stand on when we get all pissed off about it. :anger::battlecage:

here's a link to figure out how to submit a note to your legislator...

Oregon State Senate

I'll second grandpa's point. If you haven't written to your senator (a little late for rep's i suppose) - do it now.

Why, I live in Washington??

Because it sets precedent.

I'll take a wild guess here but I'd bet anyone a beer the law will go in and a few more rescues will happen by parties in over their head over the next few years but somehow the media will spin the new law as an overall "success".

Some punters will do the same thing on Baker or Rainier or some other gumby magnet and guess what... the State of Washington will follow suit.

Just a guess though :fahq:

It's the same shit with Hyalite... just because you don't climb there doesn't mean it doesn't affect you... the FS figures out they can pull a fast one on the MT climbing community... why couldn't they do it somewhere else?

Somebody do me a favor tonight at the lucky lab and personally thank the kids for indirectly supporting the MLU law and not giving any money to the access fund.

What a load of horseshit! It seems like this law will only allow ignorant family members to sue rescue units or other groups for not successfully rescuing there loved one even though they were following the law by carrying all the necessary gear. The funny thing is that this will make it easier for idiots to lay blame on other people after they fuck themselves by getting in over their head. Oh well, all hail big brother!