McDonalds Coffee #1

Seahawks

Forget my Starbucks get my but over to Mcdonalds. But hey don't beleive it becuase it hasn't been indepentdetly tested by scientists from Starbucks yet.

Taste test: McDonald's coffee beats Starbucks

03:31 PM PST on Friday, February 2, 2007

SEATTLE - Consumer Reports has declared McDonald's coffee the winner of a taste test against three rivals, including coffeehouse giant Starbucks.

After sampling four leading brewed coffees for its March issue, the magazine said McDonald's premium roast coffee bested competing cups from Burger King, Dunkin' Donuts and Starbucks, the world's largest specialty coffee retailer.

The tastings were led by a professional tester, and included staffers from Consumer Reports' food-testing division, spokeswoman Heather Joy Thompson said.

The group tasted medium cups of coffee - no cream or sugar - at two locations from each company in November. They rated McDonald's premium brand the best, calling it "decent and moderately strong" although lacking "subtle top notes."

Others didn't fare so well. Dunkin Donuts' coffee was deemed "inoffensive, but it had no oomph." Starbucks was labeled "strong, but burnt and bitter." Burger King's offering resembled coffee, "but tasted more like hot water," the magazine said.

Consumer Reports said McDonald's was the least expensive, at $1.40 per cup on average. Dunkin' Donuts was the priciest, at $1.65.

In response, Starbucks spokeswoman Sanja Gould said taste is subjective and pointed to the Seattle-based company's sales.

"The 44 million customer visits to our stores per week globally indicate that many people enjoy our premium coffee," Gould said in a statement.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Isn't McDonald's coffee Seattle's Best, which is Starbucks?

I can verify that "Seattles Best" is a Starbucks company, we just maintained their "light" roast style.

My personal preference is something a bit closer to Full City or beyond and of an Indonesian persuasion.

But hey, the people that typically enjoy a tasty McProduct, usually arent from the Starbucks demographic.

But hey, the people that typically enjoy a tasty McProduct, usually arent from the Starbucks demographic.

I used to think Starbucks coffee was the best. It really WAS a huge experience, every grande coffee I drank. I give them credit for turrning the whole notion of what coffee should be around. But that happened 15 years ago. Now, I don't really think their coffee is all that great.

I have not been to Mikky D's for a while, but last time I was there I thought it WAS as good as a cup of joe at Starbucks.

I guess I'm not the Starbucks demographic.

I guess I'm not the Starbucks demographic.

I will step back from my statement after looking at it, obviously I am biased and that is bad of me :(

I am way generalizing when I say that but your typical Md's, as well as most "fast food" or chain restaurants serve brew thats roasted very similarly to canned "folgers" type coffees.

These days I believe they have caught on and now use a higher quality bean and pay attention to hold times and such. SBC is good stuff, just not as intense as a typical "classic" Starbucks CoD.

I will agree with your last point tho MP;

Now, I don't really think their coffee is all that great.

In the 18 years I have worked for Sbux, I have noticed a distinct decrease on bean/brew focus and an increase in "fufu" drinks and chasing the "other" demographic... that of the blended beverage.

It's saddening, but with growth does come a decrease in quality and focus. :cry:

But it pays the bills and buys the gear. :P

Cool.

Lighter roasts (Cinnamon to City Roast)typically offer a slightly more acidic or "bright" aspect. Flavors are developed but not quite as full as "Full City" (chestnut brown).

I enjoy the darker (not quite to espresso) roasts because you still have the delicate, volatile oils that define regional characteristics but you decrease the acidity and increase the carmelized sugars in the bean giving it a nice sweeter edge.

With espresso and darker you burn off the volatile oils and shift the flavor focus to the "degree of the burn":

Espresso - sweet and caramelly

Italian - Bittersweet

French - smoky and intense, light body

But this is what makes it fun having a variety of roasters working their own magic!

With espresso and darker you burn off the volatile oils and shift the flavor focus to the "degree of the burn":

True, but in my experience, the origin of the bean will affect the roast profile. I know it sounds obivous, but for example, beans from Sumatra expand as they are roasted darker and absorb that "roasty" (read: burnt) taste more, whereas a denser bean, take Ethiopian Yirgacheffe as an example, is still roasted dark like the Sumatra, but will not give off as much of a burnt taste when brewed.

So while I agree with CBS on liking lighter roasts (esp with something like a Yemen or Sidamo that is naturally processed and gets some kick-ass berry flavors), certain coffees can still be good as a dark roast.

Being that I can't pick and chose with Starbucks coffees, I go to local roasters and "taste the rainbow", in the parlence of our times.