• Announcements

• olyclimber

WELCOME TO THE CASCADECLIMBERS.COM FORUMS   02/03/18

We have upgraded to new forum software as of late last year, and it makes everything here so much better!  It is now much easier to do pretty much anything, including write Trip Reports, sell gear, schedule climbing related events, and more. There is a new reputation system that allows for positive contributors to be recognized,  it is possible to tag content with identifiers, drag and drop in images, and it is much easier to embed multimedia content from Youtube, Vimeo, and more.  In all, the site is much more user friendly, bug free, and feature rich!   Whether you're a new user or a grizzled cascadeclimbers.com veteran, we think you'll love the new forums. Enjoy!
Sign in to follow this  
Alex_Mineev

[TR] Mt Hood - Reid HW 12/31/2006

Trip: Mt Hood - Reid HW

Date: 12/31/2006

Trip Report:

Words to come, pics first

IMGP3896.JPG

IMGP3897.JPG

IMGP3898.JPG

IMGP3906.JPG

Reid_clouds.jpg

Reid_enterance.jpg

Reid_finalpitch.jpg

IMGP3907.JPG

IMGP3909.JPG

IMGP3910.JPG

IMGP3911.JPG

IMGP3912.JPG

IMGP3914.JPG

IMGP3915.JPG

IMGP3916.JPG

IMGP3918.JPG

IMGP3920.JPG

IMGP3925.JPG

IMGP3927.JPG

IMGP3936.JPG

IMGP3937.JPG

IMGP3939.JPG

IMGP3940.JPG

IMGP3951.JPG

IMGP3953.JPG

IMGP3955.JPG

IMGP3958.JPG

IMGP3974.JPG

IMGP3977.JPG

IMGP3981.JPG

IMGP3984.JPG

hey oleg - looks like you did the same variation we did last time! come'on man, you gotta spice it up! :):brew:

We didn't plan to - it just happened - it was the most logical line of ascent. I am glad we followed this line though - the last 500 vertical feet of Reid was super icy and took few screws.

IMGP3977.JPG

this picture reminds me of many an evening in college under the influence of all kinds of groovy things

I need to get of this damn couch...

Those are some of the best pics from Hood I have seen in a while...

I am gonna go fondle some of my climbing gear now....

IMGP3977.JPG

this picture reminds me of many an evening in college under the influence of all kinds of groovy things

That shot caught my eye as well, I love the natural pattern. The photos sure make this trip look like a great way to spend New Year's Eve.

What? Oleg on Hood? No!

Just kiddin; :) Good job; love that route. Best bang for the buck on the west side of Hood, IMHO.

Nice pics, too :brew:

Thanks fellas! Alex brought his new SLR digital camera and it worked great! We had two cameras, his big Pentax (for landscapes) and my compact cheap Canon (for actions).

Reid was in a better shape than we expected - after all this snowfall and high avi danger. The entrance couloir was a potentially dangerous spot, especially at crevasse crossing:

IMGP3907.JPG

Higher up, conditions greatly improved. We encouneterd some thin sections of alpine ice and shallow snow:

Reid_enterance.jpg

The best part is a final 500 ft of Reid - lots of ice climbing.

Reid_finalpitch.jpg

We simulclimbed most of the way, although roping up wasn't necessary. We had not a single encounter of falling ice or avalanches. Except for the top of the Reid, the wind was zero. We topped out via the left variation of the West Crater rim - lots of loose snow. The rim ice at the summit ridge is all rotten and porous inside. Probably, the Yocum would be the same. Overall, it was one of the best Hood climbs in terms of conditions.

Thanks Oleg, that is basically a TR :)

Next time if we go this route again, I would bring the rope but wait with roping up till the real need. I expected more amounts of less stable snow and shittier ice but it was quite the opposite.

I regret we did not make more shots of the action, but we were sort of in a hurry for two reasons: Pete was waiting in the car and I had to be in Seattle before midnight (which I barely managed to do).

Woohoo, looks sweet. Must have been a good time especially with the wind holding off.

About what elevation is that where it looks like you are just above the clouds?

Pete is good, but complicated. We all are - to the point when we don't understand ourselves. I think this topic doesn't belong to this TR :)