The Joy of Pooping

ClimbingPanther

baa --> :chebit: --> :crazy: --> :ass: --> :moondance:

However, it is not so joyful to carry it around with you if at all possible. I know it is unacceptable to "bury" (read: conceal for a limited time) your poop in the snow in high alpine environments where it will essentially remain frozen in time for future civilizations to analyze, but... (no pun intended)

What about lower elevation snow? Is it acceptable/questionable/unacceptable to poop in the snow at elevations where it is guaranteed to melt and eventually get in to or at least on the ground? Please don't (blue?) flame me.

edit: of course I'm talking multi-day trips here, not just single-dump trips.

Edited by ClimbingPanther

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seriously though, the point is to try and keep poo out of the streams etc. right? that is really why just pooping on the ground and not covering it is frowned upon when BIFFing(bathroom in forest floor). the rain/runoff etc carries the bacteria all around causing problems that people worry about, so i would say that is what you would worry about when pooing in "shallow" snow that will melt. it may just land on the ground, but it is still a bacteria hazard lying around for wildlife to be enthralled with. wow work sucks.

Sounds like a good read, but I'm not paying $8 to find out what she says. Anybody care to give me the cliff notes version?

Come on, let's talk about poop!

If you think it might be OK to poop on snow...you really need to read this book.

But since you are lazy and cheap, in addition to clueless:

1) Carry you poop out - best solution, and in popular areas, the only considerate one (i.e. blue bags, poop tube, ziploc bag)

2) In areas where there is organic soil, dig a hole and bury it. As previously mentioned, don't dig where the soil will be washed out

3) drop it into a crevasse

4) smearing - on rock and only when you know there will be 48 hrs of clear weather - key is for it to dry and bacteria to die. Spread it thin. Prefer SW aspects. This method is definately not acceptable in popular areas.

Poop on!

Serious question:

Is it OK to deposit the turd(s) beneath a layer of sod? Sometimes its easy to cut a 1' X 1' patch on three sides, pull back the layer, roots and all, do the deed, and close the lid.

Not serious:

Does anyone have one of those 'Tanita' scales? They read in .20lb increments and it's really cool to weigh in before and after. Just knowing how much a turd weighs has changed my entire training program.

True story. My wife asked me this question tonight. Over dinner no less. If you eat a 1000 calorie hamburger, and the next day you crap, does any of the 1000 calories go with it? I told her no, they were burnt by your body during digestion. But I honestly don't know the answer. Anyone?