Hiker Fatality in North Bend

catbirdseat

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We were up on We Did rock yesterday when the fallen guy's brother came by looking for the incident site. He said he was given virtually no info by from the authorities, just that it was on "the first rock wall up from the first trailhead" off Exit 38. I hadn't seen this thread yet, so I thought from that it must have been somewhere on Mt. Washington. That's where he started from, so I showed him the map in the guidebook and sent him back west again. Now I see it was really less than 50 yards away.

Sorry to break it to Chirp but last I heard, evolution for the human species is pretty much finished due to dilution of the gene pool, so this is as good as we get.

Minx I don't think it was "flamable pajamas" (5.5) that he was on, I think it was a 5.7 to 5.9 (by xt38 standards).

----

Off Topic

Oh, and on hypocrisy in general (sorry, but as long as we already have some thread drift);

whats a bit ironic is that if some of the "bad ass" posters around here had witnessed this guy free soloing, and had he lived, he would likely be considered a bold "bad ass". But because he didn't live, now hes probly considered "stupid". I guess at least the measure then is an objective one..let see, the best climbers are "the ones who live" and the worst are "those who don't"... hmmm.. OR, Maybe he just read that one thread on the topic of "is free soloing safer than roped climbing" and got a bug up his butt to test that brilliant line of reasoning. Im just speculating..

One way or another the young man was bold in his final acts, and "boldness" gets played up on this board maybe too often as the one true great quality of a climber. Boldness is there, but it shouldnt be the only thing that gets praise. Theres something also to be said for smart (even sometimes cautious) decision making. Maybe that too is "badass". After all, "the one who lives is..."

----

I hope he didn't suffer and may he RIP (if there be such a state)..

D

I never said I wasn't a dick, but I will admit I got oddly overreactive to this incident.

No idea why, as I typically don't normally post such comments in accident threads. But I did. Out of respect for the original intent I think this thread should prob be split to spray to respect the family and the original post.

I have PM'd JayB with my thoughts.

wave.gif

if some of the ... posters around here had witnessed this guy free soloing, and had he lived, he would likely be considered a bold "bad ass".

Soloing a 5.7 at X38 in the dark, with no skills/experience, no rock shoes, while drunk/stoned/tripping/whatever, is not going to get you qualified as "bad ass" no matter the outcome.

Your post is ridiculous.

And Chirp, your "gene pool" post is about as crass, insensitive, and offensive as any I've seen on this board. For the record, I absolutely disagree with you and I'd wager most others on this board do as well. I'm surprised because you are usually a pretty mellow guy.

Most of us probably did one or more stupid things in our youth that easily could have resulted in death or severe disability (whether climbing or getting in a car when the driver was intoxicated in one form or another).

We were lucky when it counted. This poor kid was not. RIP.

Sorry for the hack edit job here but - it's painful enough to lose someone close to you to old age or disease, so I can hardly imagine how distressing it is to lose someone to an accident like this.

When there's a local accident like this, we might all do well think about how we'd express ourselves if the deceased's family were in a room with us. If you wouldn't say something in their presence, maybe think twice about posting it on a thread that gives notice of the the accident and/or their death.

My take is that all of us, myself most definitely included, do stupid things from time to time. The trick is to do them in situations where the death penalty will not be exacted by the laws of physics (or chemistry or whatever).

I have been fortunate enough in this regard to have survived more than six decades so far. But I can easily remember two or three times when it was only pure damn luck that left me alive.

This poor guy had the bad luck to have one of his moments in the wrong place, at the wrong time. Before you look down on him and think "it can't happen to me" you'd best consider your past conduct closely. And learn.

• 2 weeks later...
we might all do well think about how we'd express ourselves if the deceased's family were in a room with us

There are always lessons to be learned and CONSTRUCTIVE ideas to be expressed, but I think within the overall context, this statement has merit.