This ain't no mudd club, or CBGB...

HappyCamper

Never been, but I feel somewhat incomplete that I will not get the chance to catch a show at the CBGB (closing in a month). Being a Ramones fan - it would have been cool to see one of the haunts of early school punk. This of course got me thinking about cool shows that I would hit if I could go back in time:

1. Ramones at the CBGB at any time during the mid-70's. I saw them at the HUB in the 80's - can only imagine the raw energy in a dingy club.

2. Sex Pistols - San Antonio club - 1978. Interested not in the music more than the "WTF?" and riot that emerged after Sid began mis-behaving. I would prefer to be as far away from the stage and Sid's bass.

3. The Doors - when they were the house band at the Whiskey. I may be influenced by Oliver Stone's vision on this one.

4. Woodstock - The first one. Although maligned a bit now. I bet it was pretty freaking cool to be there - even better if I had my current cynical world view with me there. Boy, what I would give to see Sha Na Na there. tongue.gif

5. Nirvana at the Vogue. I am sure I would not appreciate this in the slightest without some sense of what they became - another loud thrash metal band (well, at least during the Bleach era). rockband.gif

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw the Ramones at the Whisky-A-Go-Go on the Sunset Strip, c.1978.

Never had seen or heard anything like that before.

Lot of pogo-ing and slamming going on.

The Ramones were just getting to be kind of famous...only paid a few bucks at the door to get in.

Liked them....went and bought their album shortly thereafter.

This one:

ramones.jpg

They sure got a lot of action out of three chords!

I like to play this game too- I wish I had seen the Clash pretty much anywhere. Nirvana used to play across the street from where I worked in Olympia- never went, didn't know who they were. confused.gif

It kills my kids that I saw the ramones in San Francisco at a free outdoor concert- lunchtime in a park. I saw a lot of groups in those days- Kinks, Blondie, etc., but for some reason I don't remember the shows very well. mushsmile.gifrolleyes.gif Went to CBGBs last year to see something there before they closed.

Don't forget to see the current great shows, like Gogol Bordello at Neumos a couple of months ago, or the Briefs in Olympia- someday they might be famous shows! thumbs_up.gif

Enough of this I wish....I wish.....I wish....like I wish I saw Lincoln recite the Gettysburg Address...it ain't gonna happen so start creating your OWN memories from whatever is going on today. Or go to that 60's theme park known as Evergreen State College and wake up every day regretting the fact that you didn't live in that "Golden Era" where could where you could wear funky clothes and protest an unpopular war (while your drafted friends died overseas)...."ya....but the music was really good!" rolleyes.gif Whatever. Make your own scene. Joey Ramone, Jim Morrison, Jimi Hendrix ain't comin' back to give you a show.

By the way, I saw Frank Zappa at the Paramount in 1984. It was magnificent!

6464_med.jpg

Mozart, Salzburg - 1772. Quite a show. Would have rocked me.

Was that the concert at the Archbishop Colloredo's digs?IIRC, Il sogno de Scipione was the closing number. rockband.gif He kicked out Symphony in G (K. 124), too! cool.gif

I think he started his Italian tour after the Count's gig.

Il sogno de Scipione is an opera; there is no fourth movement. rolleyes.gif

You must be referring to the Allegro in K. 124. Yeah, it reminded me of Zappa during his Apostrophe tour.

Watch out where the huskies go,

and don't you eat that yellow snow.

Watch out where the huskies go,

and don't you eat that yellow snow...

I always had disdain for John Denver. Several people "in the know" told me of his habit of paying a hundred bucks for guy's/gal's songs and publishing them under his name instead of giving credit (and royalties) to the original songwriter.

He was a good businessman.

It also has something to do with recognizing a good song on paper. It is really difficult to write good songs consistently. A few have done it, but most rely on other composers to a large extent.