[TR] Sawtooths: WWJE? 8/14/2006

John Frieh

Climb: Elephant Perch - Various

Date of Climb: 8/14/2006

Trip Report:

What Would Jesus Eat??? Bible Bar of course!

4479biblebar.JPG

More on Bible Bar below…

Similar to how a bear or snaf.gif will gorge itself in the late summer and early fall to fatten up for the long cold winter a wise winter alpinist or ice climber will do the same on challenging but enjoyable rock climbs that offer short approaches and easy descents, excellent position and setting… or more succinctly: pure rock bliss.

Doing so should more adequately prepare one for the darker moments of winter… that is when it comes time to suffer (and it will) one has a number of excellent examples at hand to answer such important questions as 1) why exactly do I climb again? or 2) has this ever been fun? and other such pressing questions that seem to arise...

Marcus and I headed to the sawtooths in search of just that: pure rock bliss. Marcus snuck out of work early and called me to move up the departure time only to find me unpacked and drinking beer at a dog’s birthday party… blush.gifblush.gifblush.gif Why he tolerates climbing with me I’ll never know… yellaf.gif

Alas I threw some stuff in the car and we pointed it east around midnight.

4479samurai.JPG

A lot of red bull, coffee, Lucinda Williams, Jenny Lewis and the Watson Twins, Blood Meridian and Mr Ritter carried us through the night to Stanley around 10ish. rockband.gifsnugtop.gif

A quick stop at the SBC for quite possible one of the dankest breakfast burritos I’ve had in awhile and we caught the boat.

To reduce our carbon footprint we opted for the lower impact approach: tongue.gifyellaf.gifwink.gif

4479captain1.JPG

Note: check out the look on snorkel boy’s face hahaha.gifyellaf.gifyellaf.gifyellaf.gif

At the other end of the lake 2 hours of hiking was followed by 2 days of granite… some highlights:

4479followme.JPG

4479wide1.JPG

trad girls rock my socks:

4479tradchick.JPG

4479cobra.JPG

And how could I forget??? Bible Bar!

4479pray.JPG

For you males out there… if you thought the side effects of eating Luna Bars were weird wait till you try Bible Bar! hahaha.gifyellaf.gifyellaf.gifyellaf.gif

For those of you at home who aren’t familiar with what a Luna Bar is basically it is a power or energy bar made to meet the specific nutrition needs of women. More info on Luna Bars: snugtop.gif

I’ll say this… Bible Bar will be standard issue for all my future trips! That and Ezekiel's Fire for the really cold bivies!

Gear Notes: Bible Bar and

4479rack.JPG

Approach Notes/Generic Beta:

You can get your weight and fortune for a penny at the redfish lodge!

4479penny.JPG

Josh Ritter plays this Sunday !

4479josh.JPG

More Sawtooth Beta here: yoda.gif

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

fox get real, that is just a standard rack, with doubles on the good C4 sizes and all the good aliens (including offsets). all you're going to do it encourage john to post a pic of all his cams which will immediately show up on the computer screen of every crackhead in his neighborhood. btw, i think i can see the second .75

• 1 month later...