New Year's resolution- dump the holiday weight

plark42

Hey CC'ers.. like most people I have been indulging throughout the holiday season, and, like most americans, I have sworn to get back into climbing shape after the new year. Are there any programs out there that you recommend? What motivates you?? Are there any good climbing movies I can watch and get pumped up about??

Any tips help!!

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you put on weight that easy, it will never come off. You really need to change your lifestyle. Lifting weights isn't going to help you lose weight. Aerobic exercise and eating less is going to help you lose weight.

That and doing unequipped bivis. Unequipped bivis burn a LOT of energy. Maybe you should start with the polar bear swim. Try to stay in for 15 or 20 minutes.

Lifting weights isn't going to help you lose weight. Aerobic exercise and eating less is going to help you lose weight.

So Dru tell me this, if you were trying to lose weight and you had the choice of using oxidate phosphorylation or using a purely anaerobic glycolytic state, which one would you choose?

No shit I need to change my lifestyle- I am asking you guys for possible workout programs that you particularly like... I followed a training program last year for 7 months and felt great.. but I don't have 1-2 hours a day to spend in the gym anymore.. I had worked my way up to do 4-5 days of 1+ hour aerobics, plus weights..

Commuting by bike is a great lifestyle change, if you don't already do that.

It's already been mentioned, but I'd also like to suggest 'crossfit.com' The workouts will make you stronger and improve your aerobic conditioning. The best part of crossfit (for me) is that the workout-of-the-day is always something of a surprise, so you won't become bored with routine.

Lifting weights isn't going to help you lose weight. Aerobic exercise and eating less is going to help you lose weight.

So Dru tell me this, if you were trying to lose weight and you had the choice of using oxidate phosphorylation or using a purely anaerobic glycolytic state, which one would you choose?

Who weighs less?

Weightlifter

022805.jpg

Aerobic athlete?

PaulaRadcliffe.jpg

confused.gif

Who weighs less?

Weightlifter

022805.jpg

Aerobic athlete?

PaulaRadcliffe.jpg

confused.gif

These two people are not representative of the vast majority of folks who work out. They do not prove your point.

Although weightlifting is primarily an anaerobic activity (which, by the way, you can adapt by doing aerobic activities in short bursts between lifting sets), you do burn calories while lifting. But the real weight-loss or weight-control benefits come after building muscle. Muscle burns energy, even while at rest. The more muscle you have, the more energy you burn. Your basal metabolic rate goes up; and your weight gets easier to manage.

3 30 minute sessions/week of aerobic ativity at 70-80% Max Heart Rate.

2 sessions per week on the weights - 20-30 minutes.

You'll lose weight, especially if you're not doing anything right now.

Dru's statement that lifting won't help you lose weight is dead wrong. Muscle burns about 20-50x more calories than fat. If you can shed fat and add muscle, you'll be burning way more calories just sitting watching TV. You'll also burn k's by lifting. You gotta burn more k's than you eat - only way.

Hey CC'ers.. like most people I have been indulging throughout the holiday season, and, like most americans, I have sworn to get back into climbing shape after the new year. Are there any programs out there that you recommend? What motivates you?? Are there any good climbing movies I can watch and get pumped up about??

Any tips help!!

I find that sometimes having a partner in crime helps. You can support and motivate each other, and often learn new tips and tricks from the other person. For lifting, it's nice to have a spotter. And for running or biking, it's great to have someone to talk to and make the time go by like lightning.

Any tips help!!

I find that sometimes having a partner in crime helps. You can support and motivate each other, and often learn new tips and tricks from the other person. For lifting, it's nice to have a spotter. And for running or biking, it's great to have someone to talk to and make the time go by like lightning.

I don't know about anyone else but for me, guilt is powerfoul motivator? I never seem to have any issues working out hard once I get to the gym, but getting my ass there is a different story, and for me "I want to climb X, or want to lose X, or lift X" has never been sufficient. So having a group of people that I'm working out with/committed to makes all the difference in the world. One might do of they're hard core, but if they love lifting as much as I do it's a good way to drink a lot of beer. But 3 or 4 or 5 who are all mildly committed provides enough joking/guilt/cajoling to get my ass there.

The other good one for me is making a financial commitment, even if it's just a token. Get the 6month climbing gym membership instead of paying by the trip, but then realize that you need to go at least 4 or 5 times a month to make it worthwhile. My first couple years of grad school I joined a a moderately competetive volleyball team that practiced twice a week. The combination of paying a few bucks, and knowing that there were 10 or 12 people who were depending on my being there made damn sure that I was there for every practice. Have done the same thing with martial arts classes which are great for focus, dynamic balance, flexibility and some good core strength stuff.

Also be very clear about your goals: Do you want to loose weight, get into better condition, lower your body fat percentage? Specifics for each one will be different.

All that said, the canuck is right, nothing burns calories faster than shivering! Where else can you get ever muscle in your body firing in opposition all at the same time rockband.gifthe_finger.gif

. Muscle burns about 20-50x more calories than fat. If you can shed fat and add muscle, you'll be burning way more calories just sitting watching TV. You'll also burn k's by lifting. You gotta burn more k's than you eat - only way.

This is short of the idealized internet version. Lifting is often used in wieght lost programs and I'm certianly not saying you shouldn't lift to lose wieght. But your not going to be able to add muscle and shred fat at the same time. If calories in > calories burn = tissue added (type of tissue dependent on type of food, time of eating, lifestyle, hormones, etc. If calories in < calories burned = loss of tissue aka is loss of fat and muscle agian the ratio is subject to variables.

Who weighs less?

Weightlifter

022805.jpg

Aerobic athlete?

PaulaRadcliffe.jpg

confused.gif

These two people are not representative of the vast majority of folks who work out. They do not prove your point.

Well is it cause the vast majority of folks who work out are fat bastards whose weekly workouts are the only thing stopping them from slipping over into the category of terminally obese?

We need a fat graemlin cheeburga_ron.gifcheeburga_ron.gifcheeburga_ron.gifcheeburga_ron.gif

I was biking a lot last year and saw huge gains in aerobic performance and endurance, combined with some weight loss. I commuted to work, rode on the weekends and did a few events. Unfortunately it does hardly anything for all those upper body climbing muscles and trains your legs very differently from running and hiking. Later in the season I started to do more running just to stop my legs killing me the day after a big descent in the mountains. This year I'm going to do more of a running and biking mix - not hard as I prefer running in the rain to riding in it.

The climbing gym twice a week is a very good way to train some muscles and neglect others. This is bad news, especially for alpine climbing. I'm going to try and do more general workouts to balance this and improve core strength plus some more flexibility work.

The important thing is to pick something that works for you and stick with it. I have high hopes for CrossFit for me. I've never been able to stick gyms (health clubs) mainly because they just feel weird to me. CrossFit is a very different vibe and a lot more variety. There's also the group aspect to it, rather than working out alone.

Of course (I have to say this) the best solution is not to put the weight on in the first place. It's a lot harder to loose than it is to put on.