Why Are We Rich and White?

Blake

Ok, so not EVERY climber is rich and white, but doesn't it seem that the vast majority of folks you see in the mountains of the PNW are caucasian and probably in the top 50% of society in terms of income?

I'm not trying to say that we all live in mansions or drive that coveted Dodge Stratus, but there is a trend. Why do climbers and skiers disproportionately fit this demographic?

(Or if you don't think they do, maybe I am just not noticing everyone)

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That's just NOT true. I dented my Cadillac Escalade last month driving over to the Methow to my third home, and I had to wait 2 WEEKS for my stocks to vest before I could get a new one. Also, my wife, Buffy, has said that I can only drink $100 / bottle Bordeaux on the weekends. I have to settle for $75 / bottle Sangiovese as table wine. hellno3d.gif. The horror!!

Apparently you've not met enough mountain climbers. Most of the one's I've met overseas are living off the dole as a means of financing their lifestyle. You might call the doctors and lawyers who shell out for a one-time guided trip up Everest climbers, but you might get an argument about that from some people.

Apparently you've not met enough mountain climbers. Most of the one's I've met overseas are living off the dole as a means of financing their lifestyle.

The dirtbag demographic exists in the US too, I think perception increases it's visibility overseas. If there aren't rich climbers in Europe who pays to support all the guides? wazzup.gif

Most climbers in the NW are white because most people in the NW are white.

1/4 of people in Oregon do not identify as white.

1/4 of the people in Washington do not identify as white.

I see it as a class problem. You need money and time to get interested in the outdoors as much everyone around here wants to glorify the dirtbag lifestyle. Cycles of poverty, lack of education and access to resource have a disproportionate impact on people of color, which is why climbing is predominantly a white sport.