Oldest summit register

fleblebleb

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The oldest one I've ever seen is on Greenwood Peak .. the first ascent summit register was placed up there by a Mazama Boy Scout troop in 1933 and it contains an account of the first ascent party who thought they were climbing Mt. Fernow. The one on Buck Mountain is the oldest summit register I've seen this summer.

I think I'm going to go climb some obscure mountain in the Cascades and stash a summit register. In the register I'm going to put:

Stephen Mallory, June 30, 1745. Then I can claim to have seen the oldest register.

The register will be made out of cured teak and will have a pewter cap.

There was a post on here a while back about the removal of the registers. Anyone know anything about this? I've noticed some are conspicuously missing. On the top of Kangaroo Temple the other day there was a green cable with no register attached anymore. I can't see the logic behind any systematic removal, I kind of like the tradition myself. Is it sponsored removal by the park service or the freddies, or is it some puritan luddite movement to "clean" the summits? [Wazzup]

quote:

Originally posted by payaso:

There was a post on here a while back about the removal of the registers. Anyone know anything about this? I've noticed some are conspicuously missing. On the top of Kangaroo Temple the other day there was a green cable with no register attached anymore. I can't see the logic behind any systematic removal, I kind of like the tradition myself. Is it sponsored removal by the park service or the freddies, or is it some puritan luddite movement to "clean" the summits?
[Wazzup]

Just some tree hugger/PETA type who can't stand to see a summit register that would dare to dirty the virgin landscape. It doesn't make a damn bit of sense to me why anyone would want to take a summit register off of a summit.

quote:

Originally posted by payaso:

There was a post on here a while back about the removal of the registers. Anyone know anything about this? I've noticed some are conspicuously missing. ... Is it sponsored removal by the park service or the freddies, or is it some puritan luddite movement to "clean" the summits?
[Wazzup]

here's the thread on that discussion:

http://www.cascadeclimbers.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=000040#000011

A few years ago there was a problem in Colorado with some "purist" taking the summit registers because it didn't agree with his/her picture of what climbing should be about. For years there was a brass one on top of Red Mtn (Snoq Pass). A friend who recently summited it said the register is gone.

Personally, I'd bet they're souvenir hunters, people who think it's cool to have something like that, because they dragged their butts up Red Mountain one day. It could be they just assume the Mounties (or the feds or whoever they think up them up there in the first place) will put another one up there next week, so what's the big deal?