Bush's supreme court pick

Gary_Yngve

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the semantic pedantry. Impending vacancy.

There's clearly no need to nominate a replacement at this time.

Symantic pendantry yelrotflmao.gif

Speaking of which - is that a term for the act of fixating on trivial variations in code that don't affect the function of anti-virus programs?

"Alito Name Too Vowel Heavy, Schumer Says"

I don't care about the name JayB, it's the fact that he likes to dine on small African children's livers that I find disturbing. "No one cares what happens in Africa, those people are scarcely human," opined Alito. "A controlled harvest is the act of a compassionate society, and unpropertied individuals were clearly originally excluded from constitutional protections."

If you think the guy's unworthy of the office, by all means raise hell and oppose the nomination in every way you possibly can.

That's what I was talking about when I referred to the brawl in my first comment. I much prefer a nomination process where someone has a long record of consitutional jurisprudence for everyone to look over, there's a full-on public debate about his judicial philosophy, experience, etc - and the nomination either succeeds or fails on that basis.

Thanks for the semantic pedantry. Impending vacancy.

There's clearly no need to nominate a replacement at this time.

Especially since her replacement was postponed due to Rehnquist's death. She announced her retirement quite a while ago.

Semantic pedanty, obfuscation, and misdirection are all tools of the left. I look forward to their rising hysteria and hyperbole during the forthcoming hearings. Choke on it, lefties. moon.gif

I am a liberal.

However, I am happy with his decision to nominate this person, even though some (not all of his decisions) oppose my personal opinions.

This person has spent considerable time as a judge. I believe if you have spent that much time, then you should be given the chance to advance in your profession. John Roberts did not spend this much time as a judge. Was John Roberts ever a judge?

This person has spent considerable time as a judge. I believe if you have spent that much time, then you should be given the chance to advance in your profession.

I'm sure there are others who spent as much time as a judge but are more mainstream. If Alito gets confirmed, he could remain on the court for 25 years. That's a scary long time.

Was John Roberts ever a judge?

He presided on the DC-area court of appeals (don't remember the circuit number) for 2 years.

If Alito has the judicial philosophy to impartially interpret the Constitution, then I'll support him even if his personal beliefs are counter to mine. I supported John Roberts for this reason. Keep the idealogues out of the judiciary. I have not studied Alito's views yet, so I can't throw my support either way.

Semantic pedanty, obfuscation, and misdirection are all tools of the left.

Yes, yes, and the right never would stoop to such tricks. Been out of your cave much lately? rolleyes.gif

*politicians* of both parties engage in obfuscation and misdirection, but liberal politicians favor semantic pedantry.

but liberals, who are NOT politicians, choose these tactics far more often than their opponents, because it is the liberal who sees himself as a nuanced, sophisticated intellectual, and it is the liberal who concocts complicated rationalizations for flimsy ethical positions, engages in semantic games to obfuscate and change the subject, proposes endless false analogies, and cites theoretical hypotheticals and utopian platitudes ad nauseum.

*politicians* of both parties engage in obfuscation and misdirection, but liberal politicians favor semantic pedantry.

but liberals, who are NOT politicians, choose these tactics far more often than their opponents, because it is the liberal who sees himself as a nuanced, sophisticated intellectual, and it is the liberal who concocts complicated rationalizations for flimsy ethical positions, engages in semantic games to obfuscate and change the subject, proposes endless false analogies, and cites theoretical hypotheticals and utopian platitudes ad nauseum. Yes, that may be true but we are not nearly as good at putting forth unsupported assertions with the same glib aplomb that you conservatives do.

It is not worth arguing with him, catbird. The guy obviously hasn't read a newspaper in five years.

"debate over global warming" ring a bell?

"imminent" or "gathering" threat?

"tax credits" for the poor?

"social security crisis?"

"the death tax causes closure of family farms" (hint: they could not come up with a single example)

the party of "small goverment" sound familiar?

"leave all children behind"

"enemy noncombatants"

"the nominee deserves an up or down vote"

"healthy forest program"

"clear skies initiative"

"support the troops" but cut services, pensions, even burial benefits?

they are not "private savings accounts" but "personal savings accounts"

...we are not nearly as good at putting forth unsupported assertions with the same glib aplomb that you conservatives do.

I'm not so sure about the aplomb, catbird. In the public sphere as well as on this board, the swaggering conservatives most often either blow a gasket and start name-calling or flame-throwing, thye pronounce the discussion "boring" or "naive" or they simply change the topic if somebody checks their facts.

It is more like bravado than aplomb.

It is not worth arguing with him, catbird. The guy obviously hasn't read a newspaper in five years.

"debate over global warming" ring a bell?

"imminent" or "gathering" threat?

"tax credits" for the poor?

"social security crisis?"

"the death tax causes closure of family farms" (hint: they could not come up with a single example)

the party of "small goverment" sound familiar?

"leave all children behind"

"enemy noncombatants"

"the nominee deserves an up or down vote"

"healthy forest program"

"clear skies initiative"

"support the troops" but cut services, pensions, even burial benefits?

they are not "private savings accounts" but "personal savings accounts"

"You're doin' a heckuva job, Brownie!" blush.gif