Greatest rock band ever

bunglehead

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pink Floyd. Animals.

I heard what sounded like a Neil Young song on KEXP the other night and it was so bad I had to change the station. I'm usually the model of tolerance and curiosity, but this was for me to poop on. How many of his songs sound exactly the same, anyway? And why are his lyrics so inane sometimes? Too much rhyming is for bad poetry. Tell me it was the drugs.

I think of the Beatles as a pop band --great songwriters. Led Zep ...they were good, but they took it too far on many songs ...too pretentious and overdramatic. Hendrix was a solo act --he had musicians that backed him up, but I don't think of the Experience as a band. The Stones qualify as a rock band. Tight rhythm section and Richards was superb rhythm guitar with understated, tasty lead parts. The Allman Brothers were the quintessential southern rockers. Jethro Tull weren't that bad, but they're a novelty niche: the band with the flute guy. Don't forget Nirvana and those Seattle bands. They were great rock bands of the modern era. The Derek Trucks Band is a great modern band in the southern rock tradition. I'm sorry Dru, Neil Young is a great songwriter, but his masturbatory one-note wanko leads with Crazy Horse straight up suck. I did like his two rocking songs on the later album that had "Keep On Rockin' in the Free World" on it. Someone will inevitably mention the Grateful Dead, but Jerry Garcia's voice is like fingernails on the blackboard for me and his guitar work is aimless noodling. I guess I can't decide who the greatest rock band ever is. I just can't decide!

Was Led Zeppelin.

Fucking rock stars, them.

Plant-good harp player! Guy could scream.

Page-Enough said.

Bonzo-Hammer of the Gods.

Jones-Fucking talented motherfucker. What couldn't he play?

Led zeppelin I: Possibly the greatest 1st album ever. EVER!

II: Excellent follow up, shit it even has that hobbit song for all you fucking robo-geeks out there.

III: Fucking awesome.

IV: EVERYONE knows the deal with this.

Houses of the Holy: Okay. Not my favorite, but interesting.

Physical Graffiti: Also a yes.

What other band has this kind of track record?

They fucking rocked.

rockband.gif

ROCK AND RROOOOOOOOLLL!!!!!

right on, Bungle. thumbs_up.gif

if I was a moderator I would have locked this thread after post #1... cause that's really ALL there is to say when it comes to which band is the greatest of all time.

hahaha.gifbigdrink.gifrockband.giffruit.gif

... Hendrix was a solo act --he had musicians that backed him up, but I don't think of the Experience as a band...

Ahh, but this is not the case. Billy Cox had played off and on with Hendrix since his army days. Noel Redding always had an attitude problem with Hendrix, because he thought he was a better guitar player than him,(!!!) but Mitch Mitchell loved Hendrix and did everything he could to stay with him. If it weren't for his unfulfilled contrtactual obligation with PPX records, acquired by Capitol, Hendrix might have let Mitchell stick around. I agree that it is seemingly an easy judgement to come to that Hendrix was a solo act with just a backing band, but a closer look at the "facts" reveals more detail. A minor niggle, I know, but I think the only true solo acts are guys like Leo Kottke and Joe Pass, who have many, many solo recordings to bolster that claim. But they're not rock. And therefore they don't count in the rock thread.

Oh, and for newer guys I think King Missile is pretty good, but a little cerebral. Definitely a limited appeal kind of thing going on with them

newer(ish) guys that rock?

The Black Crowes. Sometimes.

And: ROCK AND ROOOLLLLLL!!!!!!!!

rockband.gifrockband.gifrockband.gif

the real answer is which band/artist, when played on the

a: turntable,

b: 8 track,

c: cassette,

d: radio,

got you laid, everytime:

Framptom Comes Alive.

Kix, you're dating yourself severely.

"I'm in you" Subtle! In what? In you!! Let's fuck baby!

Ahh, the carefree AIDS free 70's!! Too bad I wasn't old enough to "enjoy" those times.