Greatest rock band ever

bunglehead

everyone is talking about zep, who, deep purple, stones and you say that I am dating MYSELF?????

so what about:

Jeff Beck

Robin Trower

James Gang

FOGHAT

J. Geils

Santana

Blue Oyster Cult

I could go on....

what about pretty boy rock like ROXY Music?

Zep is good, but really, ......it was already all mostly done by Chicago and Delta blues artists.

still, Frampton.

Everytime.

I could go home right now, put it on, and my wife will respond like a sleeper cell called to action.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

dood,, 'greatest rock band ever' is a promotional idea the classic rock stations came up with to get you to listen to a whole 3 day weekend of 3 songs in a row bookended by 100 commercials.

lets not lose perspective.

and those promotions were obviously completely invalid since they ommited greats like The Turtles and The Osmonds.

The Clash.

None of those boy bands that you guys mentioned would have the talent to write these lines from Know your rights...

You have the right not to be killed. Murder is a crime unless it was done by a policeman or an aristocrat.

You have the right to free speech. As long as you're not dumb enough to actually try it.

Finally! I was just waiting for someone else to give the obvious answer, so I could second it.

When they kick at your front door, how you gonna come?

With your hands on your head, or on the trigger of your gun?

He's got a Ford Cortina, that just won't run without fuel...

Fill 'er up, Jacko!

etc.

If it's records sold that define the best: all of them have been mentioned. If it's not records sold, then how could they be the best? Would that imply stupidity on the listeners part?

Would not Elvis be on the list if Jimmy gets on it? How about Paul Simon and or Simon and Garfunkle? Were they even rock?

Local groups: Seafood Mama rocked till they went off for fame and the money dudes destroyed the group.

Fynal Note:

I'd like to thank everyone for not bringing Wyld Stallions and Spinal Tap into the debate.

one more for the clash.

London calling to the faraway towns

Now war is declared, and battle come down

London calling to the underworld

Come out of the cupboard, you boys and girls

London calling, now don't look to us

Phoney Beatlemania has bitten the dust

London calling, see we ain't got no swing

'Cept for the ring of that truncheon thing

If we're going into punky territory, we're going to have to go to Gainesville, from whence Hot Water Music have released just under one album per year for the past ten years, each an expansion from the last. Not to mention constant touring on top of that. That's a fucking track record right there.

rockband.gif

Although they are currently on hiatus. See also: The Draft.

Of course, it's really more post-punk territory, which can't be entered without bowing before the mighty Fugazi, whose catalog stands as a monument to originality, consistency, and commitment to the ideals mouthed by, but rarely embodied by, a thousand other "punk" outfits.

Edited by Dr_Flash_Amazing

Yeah, you can't forget Fugazi, but only their first 2 ep's and Repeater are truly great.

You can't be serious. hellno3d.gif

You would dismiss the bleakness of Steady Diet of Nothing? The pounding momentum of In on the Kill Taker? The combined assault of concise rockers and mathy feedback explorations of Red Medicine? The refined, almost pop gems of End Hits? Surely not the keystone acheivement of The Argument, masterfully combining all of the above, along with an extra drummer, and cellos, for heaven's sake (and the Furniture EP was a nice bonus, too!).

Seems awfully curmudgeonly to truncate such a rich discography. wazzup.gif

Well, I am curmudgeonly, but your impassioned defense of Fugazi's later work makes me think I should try listening to some of that stuff again. It's been awhile since I put on anything except their 1st ep.

I remember I was pretty disappointed when Steady Diet of Nothing came out, though. Except for "Long Division", I thought their sound had changed a lot...it was more "experimental" or something.

If it's got a 4/4 beat from a kick and snare, and a pretty person singing rhyming lyrics, it's rock and roll.

Anyone who says the beetles aren't rock and roll doesn't know anything about the history of rock and roll. A bunch a wet-pantied teenage girls screaming their lungs out and fainting at the airport for a mere glimpse of the band... all the while pissing off their parents for listening to "that trashy old noise" is the EPITOME of rock and roll.

And now... since this thread was SUPPOSED TO BE ABOUT LED ZEPPELIN!!! boxing_smiley.gif a few of my favorite one- or two-line clips from various Zeppelin songs. (Some of which have at times been featured as my sig line on web forums or emails ....... or my "headline" in personals ads.) hahaha.gif

rockband.gif

So I'm packing my bags for the Misty Mountains, where the spirits go now.

Let the music be your master. Will you heed the master's call?

California sunlight. Sweet Calcutta rain. Honolulu starbright. The song remains the same.

Upon us all a little rain must fall.

As we walk down the country lanes, I'll be singing a song, hear me calling your name.

Hear the wind within the trees, telling Mother Nature 'bout you and me.

Walking side by side with death, The devil mocks their every step

The snow drives back the foot that's slow, The dogs of doom are howling more

Squeeze me baby, till the juice runs down my leg.

The way you squeeze my lemon, I'm gonna fall right out of bed.

So if you wake up with the sunrise, and all your dreams are still as new,

And happiness is what you need so bad, girl, the answer lies with you.

Leaves are falling all around, It's time I was on my way.

Thanks to you, I'm much obliged for such a pleasant stay.

At last the sun is shining, The clouds of blue roll by,

With flames from the dragon of darkness, the sunlight blinds his eyes.

So let me take you, take you to the movie. Can I take you, baby, to the show?

Why don't you let me be yours ever truly. Can I make your garden grow?