Viesturs climbs all 14 8000s

dalius

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Without bottled O2 is news worthy. Bottled O2 is aid. It is bringing a mountain down to your climbing ability (what your body can physically do). There are probably less than 100 people in the world who have REALLY climbed Everest. (guessing because it was only about 80+ by 2002)

I'm sure Ed could have climbed all 14 sooner, when it was news worthy, but he chose to do it in good style. The best style.

Hats off to you Ed!

p.s. now before I hurt someone's feelings, I'm sure 7 & 8,000 meter peaks are tough WITH bottled oxygen. I'm not saying that they are not. But it's like free climbing the Nose. You either can "climb" it or aid it. Both are forms of climbing and both can be hard but free climbing the Nose is a more pure form and is a more respectable feat.

Jedi

And you've summited exactly how many 8k meter peaks to gain this righteous perspective? Hmmm? Zero? Crampons, down suits, ice tools, etc. are also not part of the human body, which further invalidates the remaining ascents.

NO ONE HAS SUMMITED EVEREST!!! shocked.gifshocked.gifshocked.gif

Fucking amateur monday-morning armchair quarterback bullshit.

I must have struck a nerve.

Then from your armchair Doc, I guess you would consider a client tethered (and tentioned) and hooked up to all the O2 in the world would be a the same as someone hiking up the same peak under their on steam with no 02 the same feat. I am speaking of extremes at both ends of summiting 7 & 8,000 meter peaks to make a point. Both both extremes occur. Unfortunately, I think ascents without 02 happen less often than the other.

You are right Doc, I have not been above 6,000 meters. I can only offer my opinion on what I have read and give congrats on what I feel is a more worthy feat.

If you climbed the Nose free, I would think you would mention the style in which climbed it. Trust me, people would more impressed than if you had done it the more classic way.

Also, it's Thursday. Monday moring was earlier in the week.

Long days and pleasent nights

Jedi

Without bottled O2 is news worthy. Bottled O2 is aid. It is bringing a mountain down to your climbing ability (what your body can physically do). There are probably less than 100 people in the world who have REALLY climbed Everest. (guessing because it was only about 80+ by 2002)

p.s. now before I hurt someone's feelings, I'm sure 7 & 8,000 meter peaks are tough WITH bottled oxygen. I'm not saying that they are not. But it's like free climbing the Nose. You either can "climb" it or aid it. Both are forms of climbing and both can be hard but free climbing the Nose is a more pure form and is a more respectable feat.

Jedi

yelrotflmao.gif Classic climbers bulletin board post. God bless the internet. yelrotflmao.gif

dru, cjoo1f, jedi... thanks for reminding me of how many dumb fucks there are on this board. The pimple on my ass is smarter than all three of you guys put together.

It's an incredible accomplishment w/ or w/o O's and no matter how many people have done it before him. That's one hell of a gauntlet to have run and still be standing.

dru, cjoo1f, jedi... thanks for reminding me of how many dumb fucks there are on this board. The pimple on my ass is smarter than all three of you guys put together.

What I love about the internet. People making random generalizations about people who made random generalizations based on 2 lines on an internet message board. Intelligance at its finest!

that only 6 people have done it in the ~20 years since the concept was formulated shows that it won't get done very much and it will remain an impressive accomplishment (on many different levels). Which stands to reason considering the sheer monumentality of the task.

You mean an extraordinary aptitude for promotional and marketing work to obtain the necessary funding for Himalayan climbing?

when not born with a silver spoon in your mouth, sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do if you want to do what you want to do. cantfocus.gif

...what she said. thumbs_up.gif

"I'm sure Ed could have climbed all 14 sooner, when it was news worthy, but he chose to do it in good style. The best style.

Hats off to you Ed!"

Awesome accomplishment, no doubt. I have nothing but respect for Ed.

But for the sake of arguement, on the Annapurna trip Ed did fly in to base camp in a helicopter and then follow the route and fixed lines set by the Italians. Do other accomplished climbers consider this to be "good style"? I don't mean to critize but am curious about what constitutes good syle.

"I'm sure Ed could have climbed all 14 sooner, when it was news worthy, but he chose to do it in good style. The best style.

Hats off to you Ed!"

Awesome accomplishment, no doubt. I have nothing but respect for Ed.

But for the sake of arguement, on the Annapurna trip Ed did fly in to base camp in a helicopter and then follow the route and fixed lines set by the Italians. Do other accomplished climbers consider this to be "good style"? I don't mean to critize but am curious about what constitutes good syle.

Yeash......I read the subject of the post and did not have time go to link and read about Annapuruna. I should do my homework before I open my big mouth.

I apolgize & wish to withdraw my stupid comments. I was in left field for sure.

Helicoptor, fixed ropes, style point going out the window for sure!

Jedi

p.s. see where it says "chronic gumby" under my name? Rightly so!

that only 6 people have done it in the ~20 years since the concept was formulated shows that it won't get done very much and it will remain an impressive accomplishment (on many different levels).

Having just ticked off the 7 Summits, it's only a matter of time before Annabelle steps up to the plate on this. She also has the advantage of the aforementioned silver spoon. Only 13 more to go! grin.gif

I believe there can be technical challenges and luck involved in climbing 8000m peaks outside of the $ challenge. Also, it does take a fair amount of physical conditioning, though more within the realm of possiblity for more people than climbing 5.14. Of course, since I've done neither, and most likely never will, I'm talking out of my ass. moon.gif

It is definitely an accomplishment, but perhaps a little more of a numbers chasing game than climbing for fun, but maybe that is just what floats Mr. Viestur's boat.

Edited by olyclimber

No, you guys are all totally still missing the point. Until Ed Viesturs climbs 5.14, he has accomplished nothing. Aren't you paying attention?

Look, Everest was first summited in 1953, by some duffer in a tweed suit getting--how you say?--shortroped up the hill by a Sherpa. Whoever sent the first 5.14 sure as hell wasn't hauled up it with plenty of tension. Plus, Sir Ed Hillary couldn't campus his way out of a wet paper bag.

Sorry, all you misinformed mountain tools; climbing hard rocks rocks hard, and will trump slugging up some snow-covered chosspile any and every day of the week, ad infinitum.

moon.gif