WSDOT will begin salting this winter

SEF

quote:

Originally posted by Muffy The Wanker Sprayer:

okay call me silly, but as I was a salad bar queen for a cupple of years at a restraunt this is what I know... when we set up the salad bar, we put in ICE, and then salted it to keep it frozen harder for longer... Don't ask me why this works, I just know it does, having forgotten to salt the ice on one occasion... so how is that salt can de-ice and keep ice icey???

A good question. Here's the deal:

Ice forms when water reaches 0°C. Salt lowers this temperature. So when you put salt on ice, it is more likely to melt, since the salt dissolves into any remnant liquid H20 in the ice and lowers the freezing point. At a certain point, around -9°C or so, salt does not have much effect as it becomes difficult for it to penetrate the lattice of ice to find residual liquid to begin the dissolving rxn.

To keep your salad bar cold, you add salt to ice because you want the temp around the salad items to be as cold as possible for as long as possible, so you lower the freezing point below 0°C. It doesn't keep the ice frozen longer, but it drops the temperature of the briny salt water that forms. How's that?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oregonians are way too smart for that. ODOT does a good job in my book. They are even working on lowering the amount of cinder they run on roads in the winter (you often see cinder laid down, only to be followed up by a plow coming through pushing all the cinder off again). It has been contaminating drainages around highways, so they are working on other options, and only laying cinder every other plow or so.

Washinton should subcontract its state government to Oregon.

In the ten years I've lived in Washington, we've spent billions (BILLIONS) on roads and mass transit with very little to show. Sounds Transit has redefined futility and fiscal irresponsibility through unparalleled analysis paralysis. Meanwhile Portland has rebuilt their airport (almost from the ground up), extended their light rail to the new airport, and drilled a light rail tunnel entirely through the west hills to Beaverton.

I actually heard a representative of the state of Washington on NPR last week. He was advocating reducing the sales tax and implementing an income tax. His logic:

"Oregon has an income tax and they get better value per transportation tax dollar than Washington residents."

I can't see how the form of the tax that generate a 'transportation tax dollar' impacts the skill with which it is spent, but I am sure than *any* proposal to tweak taxes will both increase the overall tax burden, and further bloat state government.

Taxes are low in Washington. But we pissed away a tax windfall from the dot-com bubble and lost Boeing to boot. Until the state government demonstrates both competence and accountability, I'll never vote for another tax increase.

Man, I really need to find some ice to climb. Maybe we could make the ice season longer by sprinking salt on it??

[ 11-25-2002, 11:20 AM: Message edited by: CascadeClimber ]

quote:

Originally posted by allison:

So you, the taxpayers of Washington have consistently voted to lower your taxes, and now you bitch that the gov't is saving money by salting the roads! Perhaps you should have thought of that before you voted to lower your taxes.

Washington isd now ranked 49th out of 50 states in per capita $ for roads.

Another case for the privitazation of roads. Cheers.

quote:

Originally posted by allison:

So you, the taxpayers of Washington have consistently voted to lower your taxes, and now you bitch that the gov't is saving money by salting the roads! Perhaps you should have thought of that before you voted to lower your taxes.

Washington isd now ranked 49th out of 50 states in per capita $ for roads.

What she said!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quit yer bitchin and vote. Vote with your head, not the cheap ass pocket book.

quote:

Originally posted by Dru:

BUT when they put sand and gravel on the road (like on Hwy 1) you can kiss goodbye to your windshield cause evey time you drive to the Rockies you pick up some windshield cracks or chips.

He speaketh the truth. [Frown] In Ontario, they have banned studs, because some body died after a stud flew out of a tire, and hit someone's windshield and so on... At least that's what my Pa says. [smile]

I had studs on my last 4x4, but with the diff lock and four chains on this one I don't miss them.

quote:

Originally posted by iain:

what's with windshield repair places? How can they pay up to $100 off your insurance deductable and give you 25 free dinners to Shari's? Just how badly are they taking you to the cleaners?
[laf]

Call one of those places and ask how much for a windshield. Then ask them how much if you don't have insurance. The difference pays for those dinners and other perks, plus a tidy profit. It's quite a racket.