any Xterra owners?

mudmenace

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Subaru owners are like apple owners. Except that the subaru's are rarely attractive.

Gotcher Apple and yer Sub' right here, fucko. the_finger.gif

Xterra's still a prosthetic penis (just needs a set of Bumpernuts!), vs. the Subaru for those who are actually comfortable with their manhood.

SUVs are for wanks. thumbs_down.gif

Fuck you hippy

Fuck you hippy

Hit a little close to the garage, there, eh, little fella? yellaf.gif You'll get over it when you fire up the Hummer manana. Be sure to admire your reflection in the pristine 30" chromes as you shuffle your inadequate ass toward the driver's seat of your 320-horsepower combover.

Oh, and you can ask anyone; don't fuck with Dr. Flash Amazing, punter.

Subaru's are good for what they were designed for, and are superior to trucks/suv's for driving in wet or snowy conditions.

But- their gas mileage really isn't THAT much better than a typical V6 powered truck/SUV. If you wan't to get all smug about your fuel efficiency you should keep quiet until you do all of your driving in a Geo Metro with a diesel engine, or a hybrid that you never drive at a speed at which the thing operates on gas alone - which is pretty much all highway speeds. Ditto for Volvo Crossmax station wagon drivers, etc. Apparently - the size of the engine and fuel efficiency are secondary concerns next to the political aesthetics of the car you drive when doling out the pinko/lesbo/vego/eco cred to your fellow drivers.

And - while the Subarus do behave more like an AWD sedan than an SUV does on wet or snowy roads, they are decidely inferior when it comes to high-clearance driving. A long wheelbase and slightly-better-than-a-sedan clearance makes for some fairly comical situations when their owners try to take them over something more serious than the big pothole in the PCC parking lot. And - aren't they fabricated with spot welds on a box frame, rather than mounted atop a traditional truck style chasis on rails? Lighter, yes - but not a good match for the jarring that even a moderately rutted logging road can deal out.

Anyhow - I am glad that all of you love your subies, but it must be something cosmic because essentially what you've got is something like a long sedan with bad mileage and the clearance/4WD performance of a chevy astro van. I'll keep the truck. Thanks.

And - final request - please stop edging your Subaru wagons out into the intersection of Broadway and Denny with the apparent intention of making a left turn while mulling over the Sylvia Plath spoken word montage you saw last night, and soothing your pallette AND soul with the mug full of certified organic jasmine tea and track four from the Annie Lennox Acoustic Sessions box set, whilst ignoring the both the lack of oncoming traffic ahead of you and the column of cars behind you.Thanks.

But- their gas mileage really isn't THAT much better than a typical V6 powered truck/SUV.

2005 outback combined city/hwy expected gas mileage (4 cylinder auto): 25mpg

2004 (no data on 2005) Xterra combined city/hwy expected gas mileage: 18mpg

I'd say a 39% difference is significant. And the faster yo go the bigger the difference gets. On a 4 you hwy trip your milage is probably more like 50% better in the Sub.

And - while the Subarus do behave more like an AWD sedan than an SUV does on wet or snowy roads, they are decidely inferior when it comes to high-clearance driving.

2005 Outback minimum ground clearance: 8.4 inches

2005 Xterra minimum ground clearance: 8.3 inches moon.gif

Add the much more comfortable ride, better snow and ice handling, more cargo space, it seems like a much better choice, unless you are spending most of you time off road.

I do a lot of driving in the boonies for work on Forest Circus roads and such, and a truck is the word there. Thank god for winches too. Some of the smaller trucks get decent milage too, and if you're trying to get a few sheets of plywood home it's not going to happen in the Subie. On the other side, how many times do you really need one of the monster SUVs?

My beef isn't on the small truck folks who actually use the vechile as a truck, needing some clearance or carting work stuff around. But Americans have swallowed the SUV image thing hook, line and sinker. How many of those folks driving the Yukons, Excursions, etc. ever get mud on their feet. It's amazing that Becky actually got on a route with out even an Eddie Bauer edition Blazer isn't it. Bottom line is that for 99% of the climbs, skis, and mt. bike rides in and around the Cascades theirs no need for a SUV. But it is quite manley. Whatever.

The xterra gets slightly less gas mileage 17/22 versus 19/25, but has more space, a bigger power, better clearance, and is cheaper. Subaru owners are like apple owners. Except that the subaru's are rarely attractive.

I agree, the new 05's are bigger and have more power. they also have other great new features like a monster sound system and I personally like their look. Im gonna test drive soon and really check them out, and so far I've read great reviews on them too.

I'm currently shopping for a Alpine Assault Vehicle, and I have set my sights on a Toyota 4X4 Xtra Cab 4 banger with a canopy. I currently own a Lesbaru which has been a great car, and gets out and aboot just fine...but I want something that is easier to sleep in and has higher clearance. I am not a hippy, and I don't have any Annie Lennox albums, but I do own the Beatles White album. I need help choosing vanity license plates. Can you guys come up with some better ones than these?

"CHSTBTR"?

"FWAPDQ"?

"ALPINIST"?

"WNDSHRTXPRT"

If at all possible, I want to avoid the problems found here. snugtop.gif