home made double bivy sacks

genepires

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OR made one for a few years... if you look hard enough online you might find one but they are spendy. The double actually doesn’t actually save any weight over 2 single bivy bags (at least compared to the lighter model bivy sacks on the market). The way to save weight if you do find a double is to share a sleeping bag (nunatak makes some sweet ones). One thing I have done is take an I tent (or something comparable) and leave the poles at home… its not as light as two singles or ORs double but you do save a little. I am willing to bet if you ask super nicely OR would let you have a copy of their double pattern... troll around and see who has OR connections and see what they can do it for you. Hope this helps!

I once made a double bivi sack out of a cheap roll of clear plastic sheeting and a roll of duct tape.

It looked like the worlds largest sandwich bag.

Cost ~ $5 Weight < 1 lb.

We spent one night in it, during a continous light drizel, on the Grandstand of the Grand Teton. Spongy in there to say the least!

Oh the memories....

I made my own bivy a few years ago which I still use. Picked up the Gore-Tex at Seattle Fabrics and created my own pattern. I like it and have never consider anything else although a twin bivy would be interesting cantfocus.gif.

If you really had to, you could cram two people of reasonable size in any bivy (hopefully of the opposite sex).

• 2 weeks later...
Be awesome if you could use the same fabric BD Superlight tents are made from:

"EPIC by Nextec® fabrics are highly water resistant. This means they resist penetration by water under all but the most extreme conditions."

(text from BD web page)

I made a bunch of gear through the fairhaven college at WWU last year. Not only did I get credit for it I also scored equipment and supplies grants so that all the materials were paid for. cool.gif

One of the items I made was a single bivy sack with epic fabric on the top and waterproof taffetta on the bottom. though the bag is super-light, I don't think it is worth using the epic fabric as it does leak in even moderatly wet situations. I used a pattern that I bought from a fabric company in Wyoming called Outdoor Wilderness Fabrics. Though the original dimensions for the single sack are a bit too roomy, it would be easy to modify them for the two person. One thing I did like about the pattern was this visor that you built into the closure so you could wear the opening like a hat. hard to explain, but surprisingly functional. If you have any questions, feel free to PM. bigdrink.gif

My friend and I were trying to figure out the double bivy issue for a trip to India a year ago. We decided to settle on taking one sleeping bag, with a custom wedge of material sewn on so that it could be zipped in to allow the bag to fit over us. It was tight, and uncomfortable, and we had to spoon big time (both of us are over 6 ft). We named it the "snake pit". For weather protection we brought a bibler eldo tent. minus or plus poles, depending on how big of a ledge we bivied on. For 6.5 lbs we stayed warm and dry down to -20, just not comfortable.