telemarker

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I am 6'2" and weigh 210 pounds.

I usually climb on a 9.6 mm rope while cragging and climb on a SINGLE 8.3 mm rope in the mountains (unless partner requests a thicker one).

I have fallen on both many times. One thing to remember is that skinnier ropes have more stretch and can put less impact force on the pro. The only reason I sometimes use thicker ropes is for jugging and top roping, just for wear issues.

I place pro like anyone else. I also run it out like anyone else.

No worries.

I also know a guy who weighs 220 pounds and had no problems. He is a strong climber.

There is a guy from England who climbed 5.14 and weighs 240 pounds. I'm sure he has fallen alot to get where he is.

I usually climb on a 9.6 mm rope while cragging and climb on a SINGLE 8.3 mm rope in the mountains (unless partner requests a thicker one).

I have fallen on both many times. One thing to remember is that skinnier ropes have more stretch and can put less impact force on the pro. The only reason I sometimes use thicker ropes is for jugging and top roping, just for wear issues.

No worries.

I also know a guy who weighs 220 pounds and had no problems. He is a strong climber.

There is a guy from England who climbed 5.14 and weighs 240 pounds. I'm sure he has fallen alot to get where he is.

You fall on an 8.3mm rope in the mountains many times?

dude. that is hard core

I'm about 5'11" and weigh 205. Never had any real concerns about my gear taking my weight in a fall; if anything it was the placement.

I climb at 5.wimpy so clearly I need to bigdrink.gif and cheeburga_ron.gif to improved my ability.

I'd sure like to hear more about this English dude. Hard to imagine it. Anybody got a name on this guy?

I'm 5'10.5" maybe

148lbs

that is about right I think

Jeez, you're like a climbing friend I have who is 145 and change, when he gets to the top of a climb, it's hard to lower him, especially if there's added rope drag because I can't tell if he's weighted the rope or not, "Lean back already!" I'm used to belaying more solid species, 185 plus.

No worries.

You fall on an 8.3mm rope in the mountains many times?

dude. that is hard core

Yes I have. But my point is that an 8.3 mm rope can hold me just fine. The persons question had to do with weight. I am a big guy. I was relating experience.

I have never fallen on mountain "route" with a 8.3 mm rope. But we have stopped and "cragged" at a cool looking spotsomewhere on the journey, where I have fallen.

John Dunne does not weigh 240 lbs!!!!! He is pretty beefy for a 5.14 climber but no way is he over 210. that is for lard asses, football players and roid monkeys. the_finger.gif

oh yes i am 6 feet tall and weigh 165 lbs. before haircut

Thanks for the correction. I heard it from someones mouth. I should have checked it out for myself before spraying about it.

You are all a bunch of fat fucks (except that Bob guy). the_finger.gif

haha. cheeburga_ron.gif

When I'm in prima shape, I weigh about 5-15 pounds less. Me and the other climbers I know that weigh about the same are by no means fat or have any handicaps.

Weight does not keep me from pulling 5.12's, it's my technique and lack of consistant training that hinders me.

Of course I get jealous sometimes when the scrawny little bastards can campus the entire route, but us fatties, we get more chicks.

the_finger.gif

I am 6'1" 175 lbs. I don't have much problem on the runout parts (at least related to the rope).

I believe that the physics of being a fatty is that the impact force is "regulated" by the rope. A fatty endures the same force for a longer period of time and stretches the rope farther when they do fall. The pro recieves the same force (8Kn doupled over a beiner is 16Kn no matter who is generating it). That causes me to keep more mindfull of the possibility of decking due to stretch when I am running out early. Also I think that I tend to "harden" a rope quicker. Fatties that suck fall and work the rope more.