4 more years of...

EWolfe

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. iraq, iran, syria.

2. increasing debt.

2. greater disparity between rich and poor.

3. dilution/elimination of environmental laws.

4. stacking the supreme court.

5. assaults on women's right to choose in this country and any global health initiatives that don't toe the religious line.

6. attempts at 2 stupid constitutional amendments: banning gay unions and repealing the requirement that presidents be natural born u.s. citizens. ya don't think dickhead cheney is going to run in 2008 do ya?

7. and, certainly not last, seeing that chameleon mccain rewarded for getting down on all fours for george. my guess is an administrative reach-around in the form of secretary of state.

i'm so excited about 4 more years of letting freedom ring that i want to puke. fuck you, george.

oh, shit. was that a PERSONAL attack? go get the fucking secret service to ban me.

Edited by rat

last night all the political yahoos were talking about the polls that show people being more confident in Kerry's ability to help the economy than Shrubya but less confident in his moral positions.

the thing that really bothers me about this is that i thought we "hired" politicians to handle things such as economic issues and foreign policy. i thought morals were something that should be dealt with at home.

and for all of you who are so worried about the terrorists, yeah, we're safer with the religious right in charge. yep, that's really going to help the problems with terrorists. rolleyes.gif

...the American Taliban, safely in charge of the US and soon to be the world. confused.gif

Rat - you forgot that little piece of legislation called the Constitution Restoration Act of 2004. It prohibits the judicial branch from reviewing cases that promote federalism because the officers of the court "acknowledge" only God is the soverign source of law...

from here `Notwithstanding any other provision of this chapter, the Supreme Court shall not have jurisdiction to review, by appeal, writ of certiorari, or otherwise, any matter to the extent that relief is sought against an element of Federal, State, or local government, or against an officer of Federal, State, or local government (whether or not acting in official personal capacity), by reason of that element's or officer's acknowledgement of God as the sovereign source of law, liberty, or government.'

The country is fucking fucked.

The answer to all of this is that we need a 3rd candidate in 2008 that will appeal to the Southern redneck/Bible belt element of the Republicans. Find a candidate who isn't a recovering alcoholic, who doesn't have a running mate with a gay daughter, a man who wants to amend the Constitution to define marriage as the Sacred union of a man and woman OF THE SAME RACE. A candidate who wants to make homosexual acts a felony. That candidate would appeal to an enormous fraction of the Republican vote (you know, the uneducated queer-hating Southerners, the 2nd Amendment nuts, etc.) who supposedly voted their moral conscience yesterday. Find that candidate, prop him up as a 3rd candidate, the Dems are back in for 2008. It frightens me how much damage will occur in the mean time.

I whole heartily agree with everyone’s sediments here; my outlook on the next four years (and all those after that required to clean things up) is dismal to say the least.

With that said I would encourage people to keep in mind the only thing gained by whining is wasted breath… the election is what is. In lieu of the election results I personally remain optimistic by solely not losing site of the huge voter turn out this election (though where we you all in 2000?)… No matter how you slice it voters are conscious and concerned… this level of consciousness is exactly what we need to continue employing this thing called democracy… Specifically state and local rights can be every bit as powerful as the federal government… one of my favorite examples occurred in May of last year when Philadelphia City Council joined 115 other local and state governments (Ashland, OR being one of them) around the country to call for the repeal of the USA Patriot Act. The resolution called for the Philadelphia Congressional Delegation to vigilantly monitor the implementation of the USA Patriot Act and to actively work to repeal the Act.

What am I saying? Instead of wondering how we are every going to convince people in the Midwest educated in public schools that have the 10 commandments on the wall but evolution missing from the curriculum that mercury actually isn’t good for you realize that we already have a majority here… work to change things here. And next time you look at the Electoral College map and see that little blue strip on the left just remember we don’t need them to preserve the way of life that so many of us came here in the first place.

Peace!

We have been mighty sheltered since the Vietnam war.

At least of a whole bunch a bad stuff happens the next for years it will toughen us up a bit.

If Kerry was re-elected I think we would get back into a comfortable zone and become even weaker when the next Republican comes along.

If Bush keeps screwing up, maybe more people will come to realize the changes that need to happen in this country and actually get mad anough to do something about it. Now, we just sit on our asses and let stuff happen to us. Some countries would physically throw the president out if they behaived like ours. I think we need to regain that kind of strength and remind the government who is boss.

I think we need a good fucking over to wake us up.

I personally have not felt the effects of GWB except for increased border security and less taxes, i.e. if I turned off the TV and just analyzed direct effects on myself.

I think when some more if his policies start hitting home (the war already has hit many at home), and republicans start personally feeling the negative effects of our presisdent (if it happens), then change may start to happen in our mindset. Most people believe in their chosen leader for the same reasons they believe in their religion. Almost pure emotions, no logic. It will take a lot to break through that barrier in many people.

Look at what it took in Eastern Europe!

In Poland people got thrown into jail just for talking smack about their government. Things got really bad up through the 1980's in some countries. But change came. It took time, but it came. I doubt it will ever get that bad here. We are lucky in some sense, but it also helps us to take our freedom for granted.

Edited by Bill_Simpkins