Decorating a helmet?

joshs

Hi all,

Maybe this should have been posted in "Newbies", since I am one. Anyway, I just bought a helmet (Edelrid Ultralight) and I'd like to decorate it, not with decals but with a design of my own choosing. So my question is this: is there any type of paint that's safe to use on a helmet? Failing that, how about colored markers or even colored tape?

Thx,

-Josh

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

good thread on rec.climbing on that awhile back. I recall the recommendation was "No, don't do it".

Everyone does it though. I stick to stickers, personally, with the hope that the adhesive is less likely to react with the polymer the helmet is made from than paint is.

BD sells sticker pax specially for helmets. Look like a wanker with money to burn for ONLY $13. And they come in non-gender specific "male" barbed wire tattoo style, and "female" cutesy flowers style.

personally i figure you can buy those hello kitty stickers in the mall like 4 for $1....

I gotta say i've gleened a honey bucket mug as well as a t-shirt from a dude. I got hit on more than usual ( being the stallion I am)wearing that shirt. Most of the women asked me if I worked there. My usuall response was " smell my finger". Here's a couple pins that would make excellent climbing stickers!

cheers!

--

I actually put a bullseye on top of one of my helmets for a while. Of course, my parnter's nickname was bullseye due to his amazing ability to peg me in the head with rocks. [Mad][Mad]

Personally, I would recommend using the labels from fine meat products, such as summer sausage. Great way to keep your partners hungry as they stare at your pack on the way out, eh? [chubit]

I think you're safe with acrylic paints from the art supply store. The stuff probably won't last forever, but there's not going to be any kind of meltdown/chemical reaction from applying acrylics to a plastic hat. You'd be ten times worse getting some errant DEET on your lid.

Don't sue me, but it will work.

And just one more thing: [rockband]

quote:

Originally posted by icegirl:

Or how about if found face down in scree gully, please return to Harborview Medical Center...

that is a disgusting statement! i am personally offended by it and think that you should change it. then again i guess when someone spends little time climbing or doinf such activity they would understand little about it or the things that happen whilst doing it.

get a clue.

Easy boy, there's more than one way to read her slogan. The most likely way a climber would be face down in a scree gully is during a descent, likely after a hard day's climbing, visiting Muir in spirit, and throwing rocks at the snafflehounds. That momentary loss of balance could be painfull and could require the assistance of real medical professionals, not just Mr. Daniels and alpine floss...... [Wink][Razz][Wink][big Drink]

[ 08-07-2002, 05:10 PM: Message edited by: Thinker ]

I drew a big crack on top of my helmet with a non-UIAA approved sharpie, it wore off after a few years and the helmet survived quite a few knocks. Since I just dropped the thing down the east face of liberty bell last weekend, I guess it was kind of prophetic... but in the least bad possible way.

oh, thank god, i've graduated from chief wanker to chronic gumbie.

[ 08-07-2002, 05:26 PM: Message edited by: forrest_m ]