Ideas for this weekend?

mvs

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The weather looks bad this weekend, and yet circumstances require me to climb!

I've been noticing this exact pattern for two months now: on Thursday night, the weekend forecast calls for rain, so everyone makes plans accordingly. By Friday night, the forecast for the weekend is improving, but people have already made their plans based on the earlier forecast. When Saturay/Sunday actually arrive, the weather is gorgeous, but there's no-one around because they all bought into the gloomy forecast. This weekend is a case in point - Thursday night the forecast called for 70 - 80% chance of precip for Squamish. In fact, it's been hot and sunny all weekend. They've forecasted rain (as of Thursday evening) for all but one weekend for the last two months, and we actually got significant rain only one of those weekends (Memorial Day).

So I'm going to say it again, and again, and again...ignore the Thursday evening forecast - it's invariably far worse than the weather we actually get, at least here in Squamish. I don't understand how they can be so consistently, predictably wrong, but they are.

The weather looks bad this weekend, and yet circumstances require me to climb!

I've been noticing this exact pattern for two months now: on Thursday night, the weekend forecast calls for rain, so everyone makes plans accordingly. By Friday night, the forecast for the weekend is improving, but people have already made their plans based on the earlier forecast. When Saturay/Sunday actually arrive, the weather is gorgeous, but there's no-one around because they all bought into the gloomy forecast. This weekend is a case in point - Thursday night the forecast called for 70 - 80% chance of precip for Squamish. In fact, it's been hot and sunny all weekend. They've forecasted rain (as of Thursday evening) for all but one weekend for the last two months, and we actually got significant rain only one of those weekends (Memorial Day).

So I'm going to say it again, and again, and again...ignore the Thursday evening forecast - it's invariably far worse than the weather we actually get, at least here in Squamish. I don't understand how they can be so consistently, predictably wrong, but they are.

Well stated! I think the two months of this has had a lot of alpinists doing a lot more cragging than regular. I was at little si yesterday and not hardly a cloud in sight. Darn weathermen!

Yes, I was totally duped! It's true about those forecasts...

Anyway, I was going to the Sawtooth Range east of Lake Chelan, kind of a long drive from Seattle. There was a bad motorcycle accident (at least one fatality) Saturday morning about 10 miles east of Steven's Pass. It brought the highway to a standstill for at least 3 hours. Was anybody else in that?

North Cascades turned out to be awesome on Sunday, only cloudy on Saturday and Saturday night

Not exactly. For those pitiful few who went to Washington Pass expecting good weather, it was a mediochre weather weekend. Sat started with rain at the Pass at around 9am. Then again at around 10:30, soaking the spires for 30 min and pretty much erasing any chance of getting up something difficult. We "tried" Serpentine Cracks and it was too damp. In the evening, a huge thunderhead developed directly over Silverstar, and must have scared the crap out of the large party camped on the plateau. We went into Winthrop for a bite, and it POURED and HAILED for a solid hour, complete with power outages, like it was the Day After Tomorrow.

The Pass remained dry, but Sunday was cloudy again, only really clearing up in the late afternoon. Made for a more pleasant grind up to Burgundy Col, but a less pleasant climb wondering if we would get rubbed out by lightening later in the day.

spent the early AM at index until it started to get a little busy, had a wretched breakfast at the index cafe, headed for l'worth, had a nap, climbed a few pitches in perfect weather at l'worth, saw some friends, had some beer, came home, the end.