this weekend

Dru

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I climbed with Skyclimb all weekend in 11worth rockband.gif

It is starting to get hot over there, I think this was the last trip until fall.

It was great cooling off in the Icicle creek at Muscle Beach, though.

He got to play on my backhoe, as well. That was fun to watch, if not a little grippy. hahaha.gif

Saturday: J-Y Crag

Sunday: Duty Dome

Went crawling around in mud and tight constrictions underground on Saturday. Sunday went and climb E Wilman's Spire. Long approach to a short scramble to the summit. The view was awesome up there.

Anyone go back there and do any ice? There a some hugh water falls back there that are porbably to steep to hold snow. One fall in particular was maybe 150 foot free drop, I know it probably doesn't get cold enough here for a 150 foot detached column to form, but there are a ton of other falls that could form. Also that area look like it would make for some killer spring boarding. There were steep narrow chutes all over the place. Anyone ever do any boarding or skiing back there?

I've seen those big waterfalls as well. Looks like they would be good if they froze, but there are some serious avy paths back there.

THe Gunks only seem to get better. This was the first weekend in many years that I haven't climbed anything harder than 5.6 but had tonsof fun doing it. I think I like the Gunks as much as Index. The GF and I did Minty, Hawk, Beginners Delight, Baby, Horseman, Sixish. Never thought I would climb a 5.3 were you pull over a full on roof! rockband.gif

I've seen those big waterfalls as well. Looks like they would be good if they froze, but there are some serious avy paths back there.

Th Gunks only seem to get better. This was the first weekend in many years that I haven't climbed anything harder than 5.6 but had tons of fun doing it. I think I like the Gunks as much as Index. The GF and I did Minty, Hawk, Beginners Delight, Baby, Horseman and Sixish. Never thought I would climb a 5.3 were you pull over a full on roof! rockband.gif

Tim if you are still out there and haven't done it you should hop on Modern Times. Damn talk about roof, it's only a 5.8++, and it's one of my Gunks favorites. It is to the left of High E. I have to agree with you Index and the Gunks, but if I had to choose only one it would be the Gunks. There is more climbs, it almost purely trad, and you got a cool little college town down below, with lots of cute girls around.

First I flailed and failed thumbs_down.gif then I cracked out the bigdrink.gif (Bushmills) then I sent! thumbs_up.gif Then the crack petered out and I failed thumbs_down.gif Day 2: retry and failed thumbs_down.gif break out red wine, tried an alternate and failed thumbs_down.gif went for obvious gully and still failed thumbs_down.gif

All in all a failure. boxing_smiley.gif

lesson learned: bring stirrups, more kb's, bolts and whiskey bigdrink.gif

* and damn do I hate goats! madgo_ron.gif

Had a fun ski in the Tatoosh after several cancelled weekends. Scrambled up Castle Peak for the view. One friend had his couple of snow-boarding kids along and they had a blast. Good thing to do on Father's day. Saw two parties of three walking up between Pinnicle and Castle all roped up(?). Practice for something. They had helmet on in the parking lot.

I spent Saturday belaying kids on a portable wall at the Test of Metal finish area. Got "almost-blisters" on both hands, and a bit too much sun, but had fun and also managed to raise some $$ for Search and Rescue at the same time.

But the TR of the day has to go to a certain local guidebook publisher, who climbed the Grand Wall early in the morning before riding the Test of Metal. At the finish, he looked like he'd just got out of bed. I hate people like that.

Could be the germ of a "Squamish Ironman" competition in there somewhere...

I had a fantastic weekend at Squamish. rockband.gif Saturday was a three-star only day. Sunblessed in the morning, then Klahanie Crack and Local Boys Do Good in the afternoon.

I was pretty worn out from Saturday so Sunday was a toprope hero day for me at Burgers and Fries.