What do you pack in YOUR first aid kit?

Chad_A

I have a standard first aid kit; but out of reverence of trying to regain a bit of space in the pack (without totally screwing myself out of being able to provide basic first aid for myself or others), I'm going to try to whittle it down a bit.

List what you have in yours; I could do the same for what I have, but I believe it's too much blush.gif

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

cloth tape and 5 percocet.

well. i used to have the percocet in there. tongue.gifmushsmile.gif

seriously: a couple big ass vasoline coated guaze bandages and a triangular bandage to deal with the gnar-gnar bloody trauma from dipshit partner augering. get me further from a road and i will bring more stuff.

i also take a big ass first aid kit, but it seems like you could dumb it down quite a bit especially for just day/w/e trips. i think as long as you have some basic meds, Ibu, tums, etc. and some bandages you should be good for most trips in the cascades.

You can vary your first aid kit contents based on the activity you will be pursuing (mtn biking vs climbing for example). I carry a WMI wound pack, a few band aides and gauze, a SAM splint with ample splitting material (tape) at minimum. Depending on how far from medical response I am headed and long the trip is, I will add to that. If I go to Smith or some other more populated area, I also stash gloves and a micro mask (can't be too safe with those slutty sport climbers these days wink.gif) in the top of my helmet; this way it's always there. Kinda not related, but if I'm in the back country or on a long route, I stash an empty unused shit bag in the top of my helmet (feel free to make all the shit head jokes you'd like) instead of the micromask to keep the routes clean for all. Because who likes coils dropped on their head?

If you think you are a lifer for climbing; especially alpine climbing I would highly recommend taking a wilderness first responder course (WFR). You can take a condensed one in a week, or take the standard over a semester. I view WFRs like an AVY class, essential if you plan to venture into the backcountry. Yes they cost money, but how much is your life (or your partner’s) worth? confused.gif Generally what people consider essential first aid kit material increases after completion of this course.

NOLSe is right on with the WFR comment. My first aid kit is contained primarily inside my brain. I have dealt with more than my fair share of serious backcountry trauma, and experience has taught me that if something bad happens, you have to get your patient out quickly before things get worse. The most indispensable item in my kit is athletic tape, followed by gauzy things and topical antibiotic. A mask is good to have, too. If something bad enough happens to warrant a first aid kit, you need to stabilize your patient and bail, you won't be performing any elaborate medical procedures in the backcountry. Even NOLS, the World Leaders in Pack Weight, takes pretty minimalist first aid kits into the field on month-long trips, supplemented by lots of good drugs. But the most important component is the knowledge of how to perform first aid well. The stronger you are in that area, the better prepared you are to work with less.

Even NOLS, the World Leaders in Pack Weight, takes pretty minimalist first aid kits into the field on month-long trips, supplemented by lots of good drugs.

The one I had to carry was like 3 lbs! And that's not including that damn radio... With Adventure Medical selling first aid kits weighing in at a half pound (the ultralight series) I would argue NOLS first aid kits are a little on the heavier side. Personally, I think people should look at their first aid kit for what it contains, not how much it weights. Trim weight elsewhere: pack, rope, biners, etc.

I completely agree; knowledge and judgment are thee two best tools you can take in the backcountry. Useless without the other, but invaluable when used together.

I keep a sam splint down the spine of my pack with the foam pad. It takes up little space and adds to the pack structure a bit. Yeah you can improvise splints but what they don't tell you in the wfrs is you still need that stuff for its original purpose.

Figure out what you can improvise from other materials and subtract that. For example, you don't need bandage scissors if you have a swiss army knife with scissors. A blood-soaker wound dressing is good, but you can bind it on with torn clothing, so you probably don't need a triangular bandage. SAM splints are great, but improvising splints can be done w/ other materials (ensolite pad, etc...) Add and subtract based on your experience and be sure to maintain the kit over time (Don't run out of moleskin!). Pack guaze squares in little ziploc bags to protect packaging (sterility...). Consider opening your first aid kit in windy conditions: is everything going to blow away? I agree with others that the most important tool is your brain. Climbing parties with one leader are risky. Every member of the party needs to be responsible for the welfare of all members.

For 1-2 days trip for 1 person, has anybody used that 3.5 oz kit? There is also a 6.5 oz 1-4 days / 1-2 person kit. Throw maybe a SAM splint somewhere else in the pack (one per party, only if going far) and you'd be set. The splint may not even be necessary if wood is easy to find.

I'm thinking of getting the small one for myself.

drC

If I go to Smith or some other more populated area, I also stash gloves and a micro mask (can't be too safe with those slutty sport climbers these days wink.gif) in the top of my helmet; this way it's always there. Kinda not related, but if I'm in the back country or on a long route, I stash an empty unused shit bag in the top of my helmet (feel free to make all the shit head jokes you'd like) instead of the micromask to keep the routes clean for all. Because who likes coils dropped on their head?

While it's space saving, stashing stuff in your helmet reduces the effectiveness of the helmet. Unless you want a mask implanted in your skull.

SAM Splint, Bandaids, bit of gauze, Ibu

While it's space saving, stashing stuff in your helmet reduces the effectiveness of the helmet. Unless you want a mask implanted in your skull.

Good point: I should clarify its tucked around the head band portion (closer to the ears) such that I maintain the space in the top of the helmet.

Dr Crash: How many rock routes you been on that had fire wood chillin' on the belay ledges? If you are worried about the SAM splint weight; learn to belay with a munter hitch and leave your belay device at home.

The ultra light series is a good start, but you need to analyze what injuries you will be most likely to treat. Example: broken bones are more likely rock climbing than mountaineering. Blisters are more likely with plastic/leather boots than approach/rock shoes. Go through a checklist prior to each climb and add and subtract as needed. An excellent read is Accidents in Mountaineering. You'd be amazed what kind of things you could potential face. Additionally, you can quiz yourself if you know how to treat it, would you be able to treat it with each incident.

Thanks for chiming in, everyone! I plan on doing that search that was suggested.

Actually, I'm an RN, so you'd think that I'd know what to bring, but, I'm always out for more ideas. If someone were to suggest that I leave something out, and I wasn't comfortable with that, I'd bring it, anyway.

The ensolite pad idea is great; I think that I'm pretty much on par with what people have said, here. (the kit that I have is about the size to fit inside a nalgene bottle; not tooooo huge). I'd like to throw in a solid roll of coach's tape, as well as some moleskin, as someone suggested. Easy to forget about stuff like that (especially when I'm not too prone to instances of blisters, historically speaking.)

I think the only missing link is, stangely enough (me being an RN), getting some effective pain killers for the kit. I've never had any around the house, and doctors don't like to prescribe that stuff frivolously. Hmmm...

I think I will take it apart over the weekend, and list what's involved. Then maybe you all can help me critique it.

I like to have a few steri-strips (thin sterile sticky tape used like stitches), a small mirror, some foam, second skin (absolute best for blisters), and a hypodermic needle (for draining blisters). Mastesol is a nice alternative to superglue if you can find it. I use it when applying bandaids etc so that they dont sweat off (very strong but not as evil as superglue) I also carry a bit of Thermoplast in my pack. With a little hot water this sheet of hard plastic can be cut and molded to any shape which can be useful for custom splints (way easier that carving a branch), repairing gear, heck you could make your own superfeet. I am going to fabricate an extension for my plastics so that I can snowboard without getting a nasty "shark bite" on my calf from the binding. The nice thing is that it is completely reusable, just heat it up and reshape it. One day it is an insole, the next a holder for a coffee filter. Nobody likes my coffee...why?

Another really cool thing I have is a tiny packet of what looks like dirt. if you get a cut or get bit by a monkey you dump this crap on your wound and it instantly stops bleeding and forms a "scab". Only downside is it hurts like hell. madgo_ron.gif but so does getting attacked by rabid glacier monkeys.

by the way all of the above items only weigh a few ounces all together. thumbs_up.gif

I think the only missing link is, stangely enough (me being an RN), getting some effective pain killers for the kit. I've never had any around the house, and doctors don't like to prescribe that stuff frivolously. Hmmm...

Oh, just wait until you sprain an ankle or something and ask for a bunch of Percocet. One prescription's worth is probably all you'll need for the lifetime of your first aid kit, unless you worry about expiration dates 'n stuff. My drugs are in a little vial with the names and descriptions of the pills ("Percocet - severe pain - white pills marked 54/543...") so that when I'm incoherent with pain and fear my partner knows what to give me.

NOLSe, I guess my re-ply was slightly off topic as this will be my basic hiking/skiing/camping kit. As you pointed out, I should then customize it depending on what I do. And there's an Accidents in Mountaineering book on my way somewhere in a USPS truck.

drC

For 1-2 days trip for 1 person, has anybody used that 3.5 oz kit? There is also a 6.5 oz 1-4 days / 1-2 person kit. Throw maybe a SAM splint somewhere else in the pack (one per party, only if going far) and you'd be set. The splint may not even be necessary if wood is easy to find.

I'm thinking of getting the small one for myself.

drC

I have one of the little ones and it's not too bad. Hadda add some pharameceuticals, some blister stuff, and a bit of blood absorption stuff to it, but it's not so much that it doesn't all fit in there. I think it's a nice little kit.