What do you pack in YOUR first aid kit?

Chad_A

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Damn, the caffiene isn't doing the trick this morning...what the hell does this mean snaf.gif ?

Either that, or I didn't drink enough beer last night.

Anyway, here's what I saw on someones TR:

1 FIRST AID 7 oz (total kit weight)

15 iodine tablets water purification

sunscreen small plastic bottle

dermatone x-small

2 chapstick with sunscreen

10 salt pills

moleskin

1 tape cloth athletic, partial roll

2 gauze pads 4 inch

neosporin x-small plastic tube

15 tylenol or Nuprin

15 pain pills percodan

15 antibiotic ceclor

1 pr earplugs

Might just duplicate this. I don't see the necessity for a splint, with the tape, foam pads that we'll have with, not to mention the trekking poles. Still searching for a solution to the pain pill problem, though. Tylenol and Ibuprofen won't cut it.

Heres and interesting side note. I was speaking with one of the physicians I work with he stated that if he were to suggest one drug to bring it would be benadryl injection. Evidently not only is it good for allergic reactions but benadryl can be used as an anestetic for suturing and as a antiemetic(vomiting). I think there were some other uses I cant remerber I will research it.

I was an EMT (license is expired). Basically, anything that is gonna really be lifesaving is too big and heavy to carry in the backcountry and most of the shit in a 1st aid kit (bandaids, triangular bandages, gauze, antibiotic oinment, etc) is either not lifesaving or not necessary for a short trip (up to a week). If I ever need that stuff (I hope not :fingerscrossed:), I'll have to improvise with clothing, sleeping pad, etc. I don't carry a pocket mask because CPR doesn't work for traumatic arrest.

My first aid kit is percocet, ibuprophen, a bit of duct tape, and a bit of cloth tape. It fits in a film canister size thingy.

A friend of mine, and climbing partner, is one of the head docs at Harborview ER. I asked him what he carries in his first aid kit: Percocet, ibuprophen, and tape.

I think people (usually the Mountie types) spend too much time worrying about 1st aid and carrying a bunch of silly shit just so they are "prepared" for an emergency. Fact is, if shit hits the fan in the backcountry, you ain't going to be able to do much unless you brought an IV setup, type-matched blood, and a pharmacopia (and know how to use it). Getting the patient to a trauma center is really the only thing you can realistically hope to do. With that in mind, a cellular phone is probably the best piece of 1st aid gear you can carry (though I don't carry one of those either).

RURP... I mean Alpinfox... has spoken.

p.s. I think one of those superlight alluminum space blankets might be a good thing to carry on all trips for keeping shocky patients warm and for unplanned bivys. I don't carry one, but I've considered it.

Edited by Alpinfox

For blisters, check out the Dr scholls or band-aid blister chingaderas. After watching a partner use them for a couple trips, I tried them out and now always have them with me in the woods.

They are extremely sticky (easily stay on for multi-day trips) and have a slippery plastic like surface that is really durable. If you put em on in advance you won't get a blister . If you're like me and wait until you feel the burning of a blister, these things rock! On a few occasions I've put them over a blister and the blister just re-absorbed. There was a little tenderness during the remainder of the trip, and when I soaked em off at home I could see the outline of the blister but the skin was flat more or less normal looking. Within a day or os I forgot about the blister until a couple weeks later the dead skin sloughed off in the oval shap of the blister.

Don't leave home without em!

I bring a SAM splint often but not always b/c if my arm is broken that's what I want--- much more comfy than an adjusted sleeping pad w/ duct tape. I also bring benadryl to treat anaphylaxis. It doesn't provide the same immediate relief that an epipen will (I have an epipen in my car though I myself am not allergic to bees), but benadryl will do something. Sometimes it's all that's needed, like in the case of someone with a peanut allergy accidentally eating a mouthful of trail mix.

Maxipads make great trauma dressings. Good reason to keep girls around.

I always have several pairs of non latex gloves (the blue ones) for BSI for myself, other responders, and if I do CPR I can take a pocket knife and cut a glove so it acts as a moderate barrier. Could also be used as an occlusive dressing.

Space blanket is a good idea. In large groups it is a good idea if one person has a sleeping bag. More likely to die of shock than the inital injury if your stuck somewhere with severe trauma.

Common sense is the best thing to keep with you in case of an emergency. Priorities are: you and your partner's safety first, then your patient's safety in that order. Risk a lot to safe a lot. Risk a little to save a little.

definately benedryl, I carry a Sam splint,

elastoplast/moleskin for blisters...etc.

I have scissors in there to prevent fumbling the ONE time you actually need them in a hurry. The "spray on" bandage stuff is goo as well.

I have it all in a little tupperware container and keep it in the "kangaroo" pocket of my Bora 30, so it's easily accessible and organized. Adds a little weight, but I prefer the convenience.

Tailoring your kit to what your doing is one thing,

but it's also important to keep a fixed base of MUST HAVE'S

so you don't have to second guess what's in your kit.

I guess that's just it...what justifies a "must have?"

I guess the answer lies in my own comfort. In one day, I've seen/heard anywhere from a knife and a bandana, to sparing no weight, and carrying a full-on First Responder kit (and leaving other stuff at home to make sure it fits).

Hell, maybe I'll leave it all home, and pack a flask of whiskey. Then again, I'd endulge, and the alpine start of the next day wouldn't be much of an alpine start. bigdrink.gif

A knife, some pain killers (Benadryl is also a great idea....thanks for that. Works great as a sedative in a pinch) gauze, a roll of tape...a small bottle of new skin, and some moleskin is good, too. NSAIDs, a couple of packs of handwarmers...and some pain killers, if I can get my hands on some.

Thanks for the responses; the broad range of answers and rationales have helped a lot thumbs_up.gif

I'll second Snodger's tip on the Dr Scoll's blister thingers. They come in a blue plastic box, product name "Cushlin Ultra slim". They really work.

Also Benadryl has the same active ingredient as Tylenol/Excedrin PM, the ingredient that makes you sleepy....add sleeping pill to its long list of uses.

just to make sure there was no misunderstanding. Benadry is not a sedative (as in puts you out for an operation). If you give the shot it might make someone tired and less aware of their pain but I ment as a local anestetic much like lidocaine. In the er we will use it as a substitute for patients allergic to lidocaine.

Oh, yeah, understood, about the Benadrylthumbs_up.gif

That's one thing that I do have access to, is SQ lidocaine. might not be bad to take a bit of that with.

I'll look at the Dr Scholls product....or, you could probably fabricate the same type of thing out of moleskin??

So here's my two pesos, with the exchange rate I owe you money:

3 Large Telfa Self sticking Pad- Superlight, nonstick, absorbant

3 Medium Telfa Self Sticking Pad

2 Small Telfa Self Sticking Pads

5 Tylenol PM- Can use the diphenhydramine as an anti- histamine or a night night pill

5 Aleve

5 Zantac

Duct Tape- Small Roll, like tiny roll I specify this because my buddy pulled one out of his pack like he just walked out of the home depot!

Butterfly's or steri strips and suture kit

Antiseptic wipes

Good old band aids

Set of nitrile gloves- some people are allergic to latex

Thats it. I find the store bought kits have a lot of crap in them you really will never need. Like the manual? If you need a manual don't offer to do any first aid on me!!! Biohazard sticker? Thermometer? You already know you're cold, you don't need to prove it. Also all the cute little pockets add a lot of weight. A clear ziploc makes it easy to find what your looking for and if some one else needs to look for it in your pack they can find it pretty quickly.

There is a pretty cool little AM kit thats supposedly ultralight but I think it is a bit pricey for what it has. Walmart is the place to buy first aid gear it is cheap and they have tons of it. But since you are an RN you have a serious on the job hook up

I was an EMT (license is expired). Basically, anything that is gonna really be lifesaving is too big and heavy to carry in the backcountry and most of the shit in a 1st aid kit (bandaids, triangular bandages, gauze, antibiotic oinment, etc) is either not lifesaving or not necessary for a short trip (up to a week). If I ever need that stuff (I hope not :fingerscrossed:), I'll have to improvise with clothing, sleeping pad, etc. I don't carry a pocket mask because CPR doesn't work for traumatic arrest.

My first aid kit is percocet, ibuprophen, a bit of duct tape, and a bit of cloth tape. It fits in a film canister size thingy.

A friend of mine, and climbing partner, is one of the head docs at Harborview ER. I asked him what he carries in his first aid kit: Percocet, ibuprophen, and tape.

I think people (usually the Mountie types) spend too much time worrying about 1st aid and carrying a bunch of silly shit just so they are "prepared" for an emergency. Fact is, if shit hits the fan in the backcountry, you ain't going to be able to do much unless you brought an IV setup, type-matched blood, and a pharmacopia (and know how to use it). Getting the patient to a trauma center is really the only thing you can realistically hope to do. With that in mind, a cellular phone is probably the best piece of 1st aid gear you can carry (though I don't carry one of those either).

RURP... I mean Alpinfox... has spoken.

p.s. I think one of those superlight alluminum space blankets might be a good thing to carry on all trips for keeping shocky patients warm and for unplanned bivys. I don't carry one, but I've considered it.

if you are free climbing you will want to throw in a knife because administring euthanasia with a #4 camalot can be tiresome. if in the alpine you will have an ice axe which should do the trick, and if aid climbing you will have a piton hammer, ditto. bouldering you need to smother the victim with your chalk bucket or something.

if you are free climbing you will want to throw in a knife because administring euthanasia with a #4 camalot can be tiresome. if in the alpine you will have an ice axe which should do the trick, and if aid climbing you will have a piton hammer, ditto. bouldering you need to smother the victim with your chalk bucket or something.

Hahahaha...#4 Camalot. Good one yelrotflmao.gif