OR Trade Show - Winter 2004

pindude

Sitting here at home in the NW, knowing that OR is happening right now and the beer consumption rate in SLC is going way up this weekend, and reading the "new BD gear" thread...I got to thinkin (dangerous, I know).

For the cc.comers at the trade show, what is the newest, latest, greatest gear that we won't be able to live without?

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i dont have to go to no stinkin show to know i cannot live without one of them lighters that acts like a little torch. ya know: like to smoke crack with. those things fukin rockband.gif

One of the few things I brought back from across the border last year. Saw them in Nelson Snow-Pack; guys and gals in that town are pretty hip to what's happenin. Still haven't seen the torch lighters in a US outdoor store, but I don't get around too much.

Sure beats the old Bic. When headed outdoors, I don't leave leave home without it now. thumbs_up.gif

Hi, just back from the show. This was my third time. It's getting easier now that I know the lay of the land, and the modus behaviorus that is the show. Very busy one for me. Really only got to see what was on my schedule, and not a lot more.

So, what's new:

As expected, more different things with softshells. More hybrids, laminates, insulateds. You might think they are a whole lotta hype, but the gear business at least is having a hella good time playing with the technology.

Also "look, we added a hood." rolleyes.gif

Tons of mfrs using the welded seam technology. The seam welding machine people had their deal there, did demos, pretty cool.

Everything is DWR treated. Everything.

SD does have a new tent, forgive me for not having my press stuff yet, but I'd swear it's not sil. Looks straightway like nylon. It does have CF poles, first tent to do it, and claims to be the lightest weight 3 season freestanding 2 wall tent on the market. At 3# 15 ounces, it's just a quarter pound more than the new REI Quarter Dome, which also has the added benefit of having 2 doors, and it's already in stores. rolleyes.gif

Got a meeting with Montbell. Loved EVERYTHING. For the fast and light, it is the freaking BOMB!!!!

The new MSR slowshoes, if they work, are going to turn slowshoes on their ear, so to speak. Nothng like any slowshoe you've ever seen. Very cool.

Malden/Polartech has a lot of really cool looking technical fabrics. Sounds silly, but if you live in the stuff, it's nice if it looks kinds groovy as well. If you like that Monkey Fur stuff Malden does for Patagucci, you'll love the new loopy version of the Fur they are doing for Mountain Hardware.

The new OR handwear is really nice. You might have seen some of it in stores already. Pro Ski has some, and so does Wapiti Woolies.

Unfortunately my schedule and the focus of the magazine didn't allow me to go look at the stuff over in the climbing section, or much of the ski stuff. I'm sure as others find their way home, they can fill in those parts. Sorry I can't add more on the super gee-whiz side, I just didn't have time to troll for cool stuff, sadly.

I did get a chance to get nice and beered up at the Mountain Hardware party. Ol' Fred was there, in fine form. The guy I was there with, a guy from Colorado, didn't know the story on FB, so I gave him a condensed version of who FB is and then watched as my friend's eyes widened in amazement at F's rather uh, well, aggressive technique with the ladies. I actually tried to get a snap of the man in action on the dance floor with 2 of the fine fillies from Mountaineers Press, but there was not way to be sly about it so I had to abort mission. cry.gif

All in all a very fun and productive trip for me, but I'll never go for only 1.5 days again, and I'll never, ever go to the winter show and not ski again.

I wandered the show in a haze of 3.2 poison.

The thermarests are finally looking different, and smaller.

Everybody's packs seem to have waterproof zippers.

BD packs look quite a bit different, how much better they are who knows.

Fritschi bindings changed colors and lost a few grams of weight.

Everyone's skiis seem the same, just different graphics.

I thought one spiffy item were the new Grivel screws. They rack nicely, have adjustable leverage, and they have a little wheel that sits in your hand while you start the screw, which may make it harder to drop them.

Maybe the wackiest thing is marmot's new shell, with electroluminescence. Supposedly, you can read a map with your sleeve, find your tent, or wave frantically at a truck driver before he runs you over. And the Marmot logo shines brightly with all the fancy.

Oh, and the most important thing: Suunto finally has a watch with a stock-ticker on it.

it'd be nice if suunto just made a simple altimeter that wasn't bigger than my wrist. moon.gif

i am not an expert. havent even slept at a holiday inn. but i reckon for accuracys sake there is minimum size for the altimeter to be. otherewise it would be small but couldnt tell you the altitude very well. my guess anyhow.

there is some retro cool to the massive watch anyway.

and an "internet" watch that, combined with an MSN membership, allows you to catch the latest news flashes and sports scores (as well as recent DJIA and SMP trends) Whew! Its the last piece of gear we'll ever need!

I read a review of that one. Guy said it was like 3/4" thick?!

The only cool thing about the Golf line is the GPS integrated into the watch - that's closing in on my navigational Holy Grail - GPS, Compass, Altimeter in one wrist sized package.

I saw some cool shit at the show. There are some funky new cams that people are looking at. Both the Trango 3-axle, cam that has a range of about 2 camalots. Very interesting to play with.

Also, Omega Pacific is working on a cam as well, really funky, not sure if it will be rugged enough for climbing, but a cool toy...

Shit, those Suunto watches are expensive. hellno3d.gif need to take out a loan to buy most of them. Nice features, but they look like you are strapping a huge computer to your wrist.