Climbing Booty

b-rock

So what is the ethic when it comes to climbing booty found at the crags? I've heard talk about peices being 'fixed' on routes, but how could one tell? Anyways, found a tricam on a locking biner 40 feet up at Broughton and I took it. Should I put it back?

[Roll Eyes]

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

Originally posted by mtnrgr:

There is a cordelette and biner on top of damnation crack, if any one wants it. It fell as I was climbing midway on Castle rock.

mtnrgr - You forgot to mention the 10' fishing pole they need to snag it! [big Grin][big Grin][Wink]

Greg

After scrounging for money in a depressed economy for years I finally found the solution to putting together a rack cheaply. I used to cruise the Glacier Point Apron in free solo mode every evening snagging gear. The easier the climbing, the more gear I found.

Am I a sleaze because I took booty from the Apron?

I think not. I earned those credentials elsewhere.

If I should leave a piece that you find retreivable, I wish you as much fun as I had with it. [Wink]

quote:

Originally posted by texplorer:

Three of us scored 4 cams, a keyhole hanger, a low-ball and several nuts and biners from the base of the trade routes there in a couple of hours. Its good to be a pirate ARRRRRR!!!!

Werd Tex! Secrets of the booty trade: ALWAYS wear a helmet while scoping for ground score...how do you think that shit ends up at the base? Look up in the trees...found more than one cam snagged in the tree limbs at Church Bowl. Climb Nutcracker or Arches after a thunderstorm. Two nut tools do wonders when trying to clean stuck gear. Look for the newbies with a shiny new rack...follow them up something (and wear a helmet!) they're bound to leave something. The flake before the 5.4 ramp on Nutcracker eats .75 camalots for lunch...extracted two in two trips..and gave them back to their owners at the top both times.

And the real scoop on booty in the valley: Curry Village Pizza deck in the afternoon...lots of booty around there.