energy bars

I want an energy bar that doesn't taste like sawdust during a long day out. I believe that I have tried most if not all that are currently on the market: Cliff bar, Power bar, Odwalla...etc. Some of the flavors are OK, but none of them are moist enough. When I am out on a day trip, whether it be climbing or biking, I can eat them fine, but when I'm doing a huge single day push or 100 mile ride I just can't choke those damn things down. My body is already dehydrated from the exertion and needs all the help it can get and no matter how much water I drink with the thing it just doesn't go down any easier. Anybody have any ideas that work (gels only work for so long before my body needs a solid source)

Maybe I should just stick to bigdrink.gif & cheeburga_ron.gif

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, Balance Bars are the most edible and don't turn into jawbreakers in the cold. Halva is also a calorie-packed, lightweight food that's pretty damn tasty and has some fat as well as sugar (it's basically almond paste and sugar, I think). Twight mentions halva in one of his books, if I remember correctly.

halvah is sesame not almond. almond would be icky. those sesame snap bars are the same thing but tastier imho.

"gels are for hair" - Will Gadd

forget this energy bar shit and just eat the good old standbys - horsecock, chocolate, apples, apple turnovers, cold baked potatoes, bagels, bananas, nuts etc HCL.gif

Snickers are tasty and cheap, but they are another one of those bars that will break your teeth in the cold. :eek:

Dru, almond butter is the shizzle (AB&J!), but you're right about the halva being made of sesame.

MREs come with squeeze packs of peanut butter. Convenient like Gu, but... it's peanut butter. Mmm.

i highly un-recommend halvah as an energy bar for during the middle of the day. The reason is that it has TOO MUCH ENERGY (the small bars are 800 calories IIRC, the large ones 1200 and it's basically 100% fat!!). My experience has been that it causes complete metabolic shutdown as your body diverts all available blood to your stomach to try to digest this fat bomb you just dropped down your gullet. You can basically kiss athletic performance goodbye for about 2 hours after you eat one.

These same characteristics make it ideal as a recovery food, i.e. eat it as soon as you stop for the night, while you are melting water, etc, because it warms you up enormously, easy to eat when dehydrated, lots of calories fast.

For a less dry energy bar, I like the balance bars and the tiger's milk bars. (Some people don't like the "protien powder" flavor, but since my granola mom would give us tiger's milk bars as a big treat when we were kids, the flavor just makes me happy...).

Here's another idea: Pringles. Yup, Pringles. 1 can of pringles weighs 7 ounces and has over 1000 calories (depends on the flavor). They taste great, so you feel motivated to eat, and it's easy to eat a couple at a time (thus sparing yourself the fat bomb mentioned above) and the can keeps them from getting crushed. A friend of mine completed the grueling Alaska Wilderness Classic adventure race this year with 3 bags of Doritos and 3 cans of pringles as his ONLY food source!

Nutritional Information:

The figures below are an estimate compiled from the online database maintained at www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/ and from Erasmus, Udo. Fats that Heal, Fats that Kill. Burnaby BC Canada, Alive Books, 1993.

Serving Size: 1 tablespoon - approx. 14 grams (36 tbsp. per jar 18. oz jar, 7 tblsp. per 200 grams)

Calories: 74.5 kcal Protein: 2.85 g Fiber: 0.31 g Carbohydrates: 7 g Total Fats: 5.93 g

so much for "100% fat"

Nutritional Information:

The figures below are an estimate compiled from the online database maintained at www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/ and from Erasmus, Udo. Fats that Heal, Fats that Kill. Burnaby BC Canada, Alive Books, 1993.

Serving Size: 1 tablespoon - approx. 14 grams (36 tbsp. per jar 18. oz jar, 7 tblsp. per 200 grams)

Calories: 74.5 kcal Protein: 2.85 g Fiber: 0.31 g Carbohydrates: 7 g Total Fats: 5.93 g

so much for "100% fat"

oh sure, refute my statement with FACTS, how unoriginal...

anyway, 100% fat or no, my personal experience, valid only for me, is that even small amounts of halvah eaten during exercise make me feel like i just swallowed a brick

If I ate an entire "bar" of halva, I'm pretty sure I'd puke. I usually only eat a small wad of the stuff at a time.

I've got a half-pound block, about the size of two packs of playing cards, that contains 1,120 calories (480 from fat). $1.95 at Trader Joe's -- that's as much as two of your usual energy bars, if you get 'em on sale, and 3 times the calories.