Let's Be Non-PC in 2004

RobBob

nope...it just represents the major supplier to the US, that's all. technology's basically the same. okay, visit a farm in Norway, or BC if you guys haven't deepsixed that industry entirely yet. Talk to the people that work on the facility. See what they really do.

I've been to Puerto Montt and they don't do it any better there. You don't have to go that far to check out the nasty impacts. Talk to any WDFW biologist or go check out the net pens in Puget Sound. Talk to the researchers working on the declining wild runs in BC because of high density salmon farming disease and sea lice.

Salmon farming in net pens (by far the most common use) sucks. You gotta feed the fish pellets and dye, they don't taste as good, and it screws up the environment. Stay away!!!

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It seems totally counterintuitive that anything farmed should be worse for the environment than taking wild creatures. There must be a way to farm salmon without harming the environment.

1) salmon are carnivorous. what other carnivores do we successfully farm?

2) environmentally sound fish farming takes place: on land, with closed pens, and sewage treatment of waste, and fish that can eat vegetarian diets (eg. tilapia or catfish)

It seems totally counterintuitive that anything farmed should be worse for the environment than taking wild creatures. There must be a way to farm salmon without harming the environment.

1) salmon are carnivorous. what other carnivores do we successfully farm?

2) environmentally sound fish farming takes place: on land, with closed pens, and sewage treatment of waste, and fish that can eat vegetarian diets (eg. tilapia or catfish)

Exactly!! bigdrink.gif

the fact is that the world's industrial fisheries (menhaden, anchovies, etc.) are a global industry that existed before aquaculture bought a lot of its products (they still buy less than 50% of the world's fishmeal, I think), and will continue to exist if aquaculture disappeared tomorrow. The additional fishmeal would just go to the poultry and swine industry, etc. So the notion that eliminating salmon farming is going to keep more industrial fish in the oceans is misguided. The fishery exists, there are quotas for it, and it will be fished to its "legal limit."

But I will agree that the farming of herbivorous fishes is more envonmentally friendly for a variety of reasons. Chinese carp are a huge percentage of world aquaculture, and another herbivorous fish. Catfish and tilapia are the herbivorous fish that we see in our markets. Non-herbivorous but on the rise: cod and tuna.

my un PC goal for 2004, more hummers in the mountains!

atlantic salmon, once they escape the farms and inhabit the nearby streams, it's goodbye native species as the atlantics take over the habitat, atlantic salmon return to spawn up to a half dozen times and are pernicious and disruptive in wild salmon habitat. cheeburga_ron.gif

Don't forget to slap yr bitch around,wear white socks,chew snoose,belt your kids if they sass,and be sure your truck has one a' them "Horn broken,watch for finger" bumper stickers.Personally, I prefer "Get in;Sit Down;Shut up,and Hang On".And pull out your hogleg from it's holster banded to the steering column if they jump out of their car and run up to your window screaming at the next light. Quiets 'em down in big hurry.But I don't eat the farmed salmon,that shit's bad for you,bad for the wild salmon,and taste and quality just don't even begin to compare.

rolleyes.gif

Don't forget to slap yr bitch around,wear white socks,chew snoose,belt your kids if they sass,and be sure your truck has one a' them "Horn broken,watch for finger" bumper stickers.Personally, I prefer "Get in;Sit Down;Shut up,and Hang On".And pull out your hogleg from it's holster banded to the steering column if they jump out of their car and run up to your window screaming at the next light. Quiets 'em down in big hurry.But I don't eat the farmed salmon,that shit's bad for you,bad for the wild salmon,and taste and quality just don't even begin to compare.

rolleyes.gif

Holly shit MtGuide, you forgot truck balls. Here is the link. yelrotflmao.gif

http://www.bullsballs.com/

or this site

http://www.bumpernuts.com/