The Troops got the bastard

Scott_J

Jessica Lynch Captures Saddam

Greg Palast, December 14, 2003

Former Iraqi strongman Saddam Hussein was taken into custody yesterday at 8:30p.m. Baghdad time. Various television executives, White House spin doctors and propaganda experts at the Pentagon are at this time wrestling with the question of whether to claim PFC Jessica Lynch seized the ex-potentate or that Saddam surrendered after close hand-to-hand combat with current Iraqi strongman Paul Bremer III.

Ex-President Hussein himself told U.S. military interrogators that he had surfaced after hearing of the appointment of his long-time associate James Baker III to settle Iraq's debts. "Hey, my homeboy Jim owes me big time," Mr. Hussein stated. He asserted that Baker and the prior Bush regime, "owe me my back pay. After all I did for these guys you'd think they'd have the decency to pay up."

The Iraqi dictator then went on to list the "hits" he conducted on behalf of the Baker-Bush administrations, ending with the invasion of Kuwait in 1990, authorized by the former U.S. secretary of state Baker.

Mr. Hussein cited the transcript of his meeting on July 25, 1990 in Baghdad with U.S. Ambassador April Glaspie. When Saddam asked Glaspie if the U.S. would object to an attack on Kuwait over the small emirate's theft of Iraqi oil, America's Ambassador told him, "We have no opinion.... Secretary [of State James] Baker has directed me to emphasize the instruction ... that Kuwait is not associated with America."

Glaspie, in Congressional testimony in 1991, did not deny the authenticity of the recording of her meeting with Saddam which world diplomats took as U.S. acquiescence to an Iraqi invasion.

While having his hair styled by U.S. military makeover artists, Saddam listed jobs completed at the request of his allies in the Carter, Reagan and Bush administrations for which he claims back wages:

1979: Seizes power with U.S. approval; moves allegiance from Soviets to USA in Cold War.

1980: Invades Iran, then the "Unicycle of Evil," with U.S. encouragement and arms.

1982: Reagan regime removes Saddam's regime from official U.S. list of state sponsors of terrorism.

1983: Saddam hosts Donald Rumsfeld in Baghdad. Agrees to "go steady" with U.S. corporate suppliers.

1984: U.S. Commerce Department issues license for export of aflatoxin to Iraq useable in biological weapons.

1988: Kurds in Halabja, Iraq, gassed.

1987-88: U.S. warships destroy Iranian oil platforms in Gulf and break Iranian blockade of Iraq shipping lanes, tipping war advantage back to Saddam.

In Baghdad today, the U.S.-installed replacement for Saddam, Paul Bremer, appeared to acknowledge his predecessor Saddam's prior work for the U.S. State Department when he told Iraqis, "For decades, you suffered at the hands of this cruel man. For decades, Saddam Hussein divided you and threatened an attack on your neighbors."

In reaction to the Bremer speech, Mr. Hussein said, "Do you think those decades of causing suffering, division and fear come cheap?" Noting that for half of that period, the suffering, division and threats were supported by Washington, Saddam added, "So where's the thanks? You'd think I'd at least get a gold watch or something for all those years on U.S. payroll."

In a televised address from the Oval Office, George W. Bush raised Saddam's hopes of compensation when he cited Iraq's "dark and painful history" under the U.S.-sponsored Hussein dictatorship.

Saddam was also heartened by Mr. Bush's promise that, "The capture of Saddam Hussein does not mean the end of violence in Iraq." With new attacks by and on U.S. and other foreign occupation forces, the former strongman stated, "It's reassuring to know my legacy of darkness and pain for Iraqis will continue under the leadership of President Bush."

While lauding the capture of Mr. Hussein, experts caution that the War on Terror is far from over, noting that Osama bin Laden, James Baker and George W. Bush remain at large.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

dreams.jpg

"But it was a FAKE TURKEY!!!!! Can't you see???? The TURKEY-WAS-A-FAKE!!! IT WAS A FAAAAA....." yellaf.gifyellaf.gifyellaf.gif

Link to the Iraqi Blog the Pic Was Linked From....

This and the other Iraqi Blogs linked to the site do make for some interesting reading. While neither they nor anyone else would claim that they speak for all Iraqis, it is nice to get ahold of some unedited commentary directly from the people of Iraq.

It's all about the brain function here-

It's not surprising he was found in the situation. Maryloser\Allisdumb take some educational courses mmkay?

Many fugutives are found at lesser "living status" if not most than a previous situation.

Did you think Saddam would inherit 150 billion bucks for his actions or what? Stupid is as allison does sometimes...

from this lefty intellectual's blog

But in the coming year the Democratic candidates just have to take off these kid gloves. I'd begin by asking some hard questions about Republican administrations' past relationship with Saddam. Put that photo of Rumsfeld shaking Saddam's hand in 1983 in the commercials; ask hard questions about former Reaganites now serving in the Bush administration who supported Saddam to the hilt while he was gassing Iranian troops and Kurds; find out who authorized the US sale of chemical and biological precursors to Saddam; and be so rude as to bring up the horrible betrayal committed by Bush senior when he stood aside and let Saddam massacre all those Shiites in 1991, after they rose up in response to a Bush call for the popular overthrow of Saddam. The US military could have shot down those helicopter gunships that massacred Shiites in Najaf and Basra. Bush senior clearly told them to let Saddam enjoy his killing fields. And imagine, the Bush administration officials are actually getting photo ops at the mass graves their predecessors allowed to be filled with bodies!

What happened Sunday was that the Republicans captured a former ally, with whom they had later fallen out.

Chuck, it begs the question, why DON'T they take off the kid gloves? Do they all have skeletons in their closets that the Repubs haven't already revealed? Is it that others will see it as being unpatriotic?

This is my biggest frustration with the Democratic Party. Everyone's so afraid to get their hands dirty and being too PC. This is politics. If there's an issue you feel stringly about, then you need to go all out. I don't mean factless mudslinging (Chambliss vs Cleland anyone?) but presenting the tough facts. That photo of Rumsfled with Saddam should have been published as much as Bush in the flight suit. It's relevant and it's the truth.

Ok, this just seems logical but we must use all means as a nation to rid the world of Kim Jong-il (North Korea) and Fidel Castro (Cuba). North Korea is known to have weapons of mass destruction, its leaders have killed and oppressed their people, most likely exported violence through weapons sales and transfer of technology. If any state were a rogue state then North Korea is the biggest culprit.

Iran also is well on its way to WMDs and has cracked down harshly on critics of its ruling government; has most likely exported terrorism through groups such as Hezbollah and Hamas.

Cuba widely exported soldiers in 'wars of liberation against former colonial oppressors' during the late 60's in Africa. Castro has used extreme means to keep his people in check.

What about all the numerous current and former military dictatorships throughout South and Central America and parts of Asia? Some of these countries or rebel groups within these countries are involved in exporting drugs to this country as a proxy weapon in their fight, e.g., Maoist guerillas and Columbia's FARC in the cocaine trade.

Yeah, I understand these threats are not equal and there are other reasons for not pursuing them, but the justifications our leaders have made for war are clearly evident.

The world is full of tyrants and illegal arms dealership and exporting terror by whatever means, so why all the inconsistency? I suppose, in all fairness, we do have black ops in countries that pose a threat to us in some way. But it just seems that it's another game of cops and robbers, that we keep some of these villains around as pawns in our geopolitical game because we receive as much vindication due to their existence. Let's let the leaders play the world like a game of chess.

Work, enjoy your weekends and evenings, drink beer, etc. but don't try to change the world because your efforts are bound to fail against money and power. So, consume and spend your money like the good citizen you are. And, if one day you're asked to pay the ultimate price, then swallow the bitter pill without question 'cause that's your duty.

Chuck, it begs the question, why DON'T they take off the kid gloves?..... Is it that others will see it as being unpatriotic?

Yes, that is absolutely the problem. They've got to spin it very carefully, and in the meantime the Dems should be promoting the idea that dissent is not unpatriotic.