Bizarre Movies

EWolfe

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dam you Mr E. I just was thinking about starting a post just like this on my drive up I-5 madgo_ron.gif

AlpineK and JeffH Filmfest

Spun

Gummo

Eraserhead

The Bad Lieutenant

Romper Stomper

Reservoir Dogs

Meet the Feebles

Blue Velvet

Warlords of the 21st Century

Anything with Dennis Hopper and or Harvey Keitel

Liquid Sky is one of the more bizarre films out there, and Caligula is a shocking! showcase of roman excess...remember the decapitation machine that ran over people buried in the sand?

Naked Lunch is wierd.

Attack of the Killer Clowns is pretty bizarre.

The Seventh Seal is bizarre and haunting and excellent cinema as well. or Powaqquatsi, good and maybe bizarre?

How about the film with Randy Quaid as a cannibal father feeding people to his children? I can't remember the name, i think Lynch might have done it but not sure... Eraserhead is just plain wrong.

I heard Russian Ark(2003) was not bizarre, but the first full length film done entirely in one uninterrupted shot. Two plus hours of steadycam shot entirely inside the Hermitage showcasing Russian history in live action scenes.

Some Hitchcock was mainstream bizarre, and on TV the Twilight Zone was pretty bizarre for its day. I don't think any show comes close to the psychological freakieness of the Twilight Zone.

my vote goes to Liquid Sky or Eraserhead.

Zentropa...which AlpineK made me remember the other day when he said he didn't think there were ambushes by Germans on Allied forces after WWII. Among other things, this creepy movie makes references to the 'werewolves' who continued to assault soldiers in a ghoulish post-war Germany.

if you want to see a weird/sick movie check out "irreversible". i could not watch it in its entirety.

RobBob said:

Zentropa...which AlpineK made me remember the other day when he said he didn't think there were ambushes by Germans on Allied forces after WWII. Among other things, this creepy movie makes references to the 'werewolves' who continued to assault soldiers in a ghoulish post-war Germany.

alpinek is right. http://www.slate.msn.com/id/2087768/

"Although Gen. Eisenhower had been worrying about guerrilla warfare as early as August 1944, little materialized. There was no major campaign of sabotage. There was no destruction of water mains or energy plants worth noting. In fact, the far greater problem for the occupying forces was the misbehavior of desperate displaced persons, who accounted for much of the crime in the American zone.

The Army history records that while there were the occasional anti-occupation leaflets and graffiti, the GIs had reason to feel safe. When an officer in Hesse was asked to investigate rumors that troops were being attacked and castrated, he reported back that there had not been a single attack against an American soldier in four months of occupation. As the distinguished German historian Golo Mann summed it up in The History of Germany Since 1789, "The [Germans'] readiness to work with the victors, to carry out their orders, to accept their advice and their help was genuine; of the resistance which the Allies had expected in the way of 'werewolf' units and nocturnal guerrilla activities, there was no sign. …"

After the war, my old man was an officer in the MPs at Nuremburg. He told me when I was a kid about the occasional piano-wire strung across the road at jeep/neck height. I don't think he made it up.

Googling isn't the end-all in research, j_b. Anyway, if ya want to see a weird movie, I stand by Zentropa as a strange one.

j_b said:

The Army history records that while there were the occasional anti-occupation leaflets and graffiti, the GIs had reason to feel safe. When an officer in Hesse was asked to investigate rumors that troops were being attacked and castrated, he reported back that there had not been a single attack against an American soldier in four months of occupation. As the distinguished German historian Golo Mann summed it up in The History of Germany Since 1789, "The [Germans'] readiness to work with the victors, to carry out their orders, to accept their advice and their help was genuine; of the resistance which the Allies had expected in the way of 'werewolf' units and nocturnal guerrilla activities, there was no sign. …"

This would be a cool topic for another thread, contrasting the situation in post WWII Germany with present day Iraq.